AV furniture makers just don't get it

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
In the near future, after I finish most of the house remodeling I started, I am going to start from scratch and buy new AV equipment and speakers.

I'm thinking about the Polk RTiA speakers for a number of reasons and ideally I'd like the larger A6 center channel (24" wide, 7.75" tall) but the AV stand I had built can only handle a center 20" wide...so I start looking at off the shelf AV stands.

There are hundreds of options but they seem to all share the same flaws. While you can get a stand with a wide open middle shelf to handle the width of a large center channel speaker, I haven't seen any that can accomodate the height. Not to mention that the height of the shelves aren't sufficient for any mid level receiver either.

They make beautiful and sometimes inexpensive furniture with shelves that are not wide enough or not tall enough to hold common everyday electronics. No way in he!! I'm putting a receiver that is 6 13/16" tall in an enclosure that is only 7" tall.

Do you think any of them will ever actually measure common equipment and make their furniture usable with said electronics?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I hear ya. It's tough (at least for me) to find nice wood furniture with the dimensions, weight capacity, and air cooling that I want.

I went with an open-shelf design from Best Buy (linked here). So far, I've been happy with it.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Check out something like StudioTech. They make many different modular units that work wonderfully for AV equipment.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
In the near future, after I finish most of the house remodeling I started, I am going to start from scratch and buy new AV equipment and speakers.

I'm thinking about the Polk RTiA speakers for a number of reasons and ideally I'd like the larger A6 center channel (24" wide, 7.75" tall) but the AV stand I had built can only handle a center 20" wide...so I start looking at off the shelf AV stands.

There are hundreds of options but they seem to all share the same flaws. While you can get a stand with a wide open middle shelf to handle the width of a large center channel speaker, I haven't seen any that can accomodate the height. Not to mention that the height of the shelves aren't sufficient for any mid level receiver either.

They make beautiful and sometimes inexpensive furniture with shelves that are not wide enough or not tall enough to hold common everyday electronics. No way in he!! I'm putting a receiver that is 6 13/16" tall in an enclosure that is only 7" tall.

Do you think any of them will ever actually measure common equipment and make their furniture usable with said electronics?
They don't know and they don't care. If you don't need to see most of the system, have you thought of using a Middle Atlantic, Fat Cat or some other version of equipment racks with 19" width? Some are made to fit inside of a larger cabinet and slide out/rotate to work on/replace/rewire the equipment.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
First off, it won't hold enough equipment ...
A rec'r, 3 players, a cable box, a power center and a center channel would be enough for me.

... second, how would that look in a more traditional house?
Probably like you were making plans to move out of the log cabin and into the new millennium. :D
Just kidding highfigh, but once you mount a 50" Panny on it and load the gear it looks just like this: :)

Like I said, it's not for everyone but I'll be honest ...
I like the way it looks stripped of all that gear best. :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
So, no love for hiding most of the equipment and just having the sources that need a disc or tape inserted in the listening area?

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I still say I have an ungodly amout of stuff in my credenza but it doesn't have so much room that it kept me from sticking amps behind it too.

Does that even say anything? I'm tired...must go to bed...

Since you can't really tell what all is in there....Big Rotel amp, PS3, SMS, Sat Box, AVR, EP2500, CC590, control box for Niles gear, Art Clean box and a couple of fans.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Closet:D Most all of the installs that we have done in the past have either had custom made furniture or closet located. I think many would be suprised that the cost of custom made vs retail. Even unfinished and stained after. Retail just doesnt get it, even going back to 01-02 no one would make a units that would hold widescreen tvs. Also everyone talks DYI here and these types of units are easy to make with the requirements one needs.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Closet:D Most all of the installs that we have done in the past have either had custom made furniture or closet located. I think many would be suprised that the cost of custom made vs retail. Even unfinished and stained after. Retail just doesnt get it, even going back to 01-02 no one would make a units that would hold widescreen tvs. Also everyone talks DYI here and these types of units are easy to make with the requirements one needs.
Yeah, the complaint about a receiver not fitting into a credenza is extremely common. Let's not even touch the heat/ventilation issues. This one took me a little time to track down, but I wonder why more people don't do something similar. The thread still has a stand, but it seems that the display could easily have been wall mounted anyways.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50367

After putting my rack in the very back, I don't ever see myself putting the electronics in full frontal view ever again. It's not like it has to be expensive at all. Modular rack is $200, URC RF system is $85, and super long Mono cable is $50. People are often complaining about their newly bought $1,500 credenza. :(

Besides, decent chances one gets better audio and video to boot.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I forgot about Salamander. That stand would just about do it and is only about 3" wider than the one I had built for me by Furniture in the Raw. 9" compartment height is acceptable.

Mine is similar but has six compartments instead of one long one at the top and three smaller ones at the bottom. At the time I had width restrictions due to the big ugly concrete fireplace surround I had and I accepted a compromise and had the middle shelf area made 21" wide and the height of each enclosure 8.5".

Now the fireplace surround is gone and I regain a little space. The only negative? I paid a tad less than $800 for mine but the Salamander costs 50% more. Oh well, something to consider if it works for what I want.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
We had our entertainment customized when we bought it. If you want something wood you should try a local store that deals with unfinished furniture and go from there. The possibilities are endless and the quality is great! Center channel sits in a bridge above the TV.

-pat

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis