Autumn 2023 TV Advice

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oof.

Might be ordering direct from LG.
10% marketing discount... :rolleyes:
and 10% cash back from credit card offer.

gonna check and see how they deliver before pulling trigger, but that's a pre tax cost of 1296 for the 65" c3! MSRP is 2499. Going price at all the stores is 1599.
And if there is a further discount at retail stores, it likely wouldn't drop below ~1469 which was the 30% point I've seen at some amazon sellers.
Epic fail.
:mad:

As always they fine print that stuff to be almost completely useless! Good thing I looked. Still annoying.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
OLED, by definition, has a lifespan. They will dim over time; that is the nature of an Organic LED. OLED is not what you want for longevity. In those first few years, the best TVs will be unmatched in PQ. Now that everyone is doing OLED, longevity is being very much improved year over year though.

No idea why Samsung went with HDR10, but it is the same old DVD vs. DIVX, Beta vs.VHS and some MFG is going to miss out and have to switch/support it eventually.

C3 looks very impressive already, so I would say you can't go wrong with it.

*edit - I wouldn't buy Samsung washer/dryer either lol.
I hope my LG OLED has a reasonably long life. My 77" C3 has had four years consistent use, and so far so good. I have seen no change in performance yet.
I hate having to change equipment and do my best to buy for the long haul. It's cheaper that way.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
OLED has been around for a LONG time; like at least the mid 80s. It wasn't really viable for consumer grade production quantities due to low yield levels though. Now that it is more at the consumer level mainstream (thinner, lighter, brighter), it gets the attention for the manufacturers to address the limitations. New methods of encapsulating the organics and new types of organics have made them brighter while also lasting far longer. And the best part is, with more manufacturers, the cost will come down faster.

I remember when I was working at a startup in 2000 and we got a 32" OLED for one of our product demo machines. That was only 1080p and it was like $6-7K, but it looked amazing. Startups, burning that money lmao.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
OLED has been around for a LONG time; like at least the mid 80s. It wasn't really viable for consumer grade production quantities due to low yield levels though. Now that it is more at the consumer level mainstream (thinner, lighter, brighter), it gets the attention for the manufacturers to address the limitations. New methods of encapsulating the organics and new types of organics have made them brighter while also lasting far longer. And the best part is, with more manufacturers, the cost will come down faster.

I remember when I was working at a startup in 2000 and we got a 32" OLED for one of our product demo machines. That was only 1080p and it was like $6-7K, but it looked amazing. Startups, burning that money lmao.
Those were the days. I remember SF leading up to the Bust. Startups everywhere.
I worked for a company that printed Banners and other trade show stuff (and much much more, too), It's amazing how much some of the companies would pay to look good... like an old SNL skit... Too bad their finances didn't feel good for the long haul!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just to not be too much of a tease, this is a long-game thing so I'm not jumping soon unless the right deal comes along.
LG's ad for a discount proved to be a limited offer for specific items. My Credit Card puts a $75 limit on the 10% cash back from LG.com: this offer is valid thru 11/30.
My original budget was $1500 (incl. tax)... Willing to break that if Tax is what pushes the total price over-budget.

It seems like the date of 11/19 keeps coming up; I've seen it mentioned at Costco and on the LG site. Either they will discount more then or do it for BF/CM specifically. Or not at all.*shrugs

Most important for me is I have been very active getting myself out of debt, and being foolish, even by $200 doesn't help that out. Soon, I expect to pay off the second of three cards which I had previously been near maxed on. The last card, with the highest balance, also has the best APR.
Hoping by mId-Feb when that payment is due, I will be zeroed on that card!

Now, if only I can catch that d@mned leprechaun that keeps showing up in my back yard...

:p

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I’m not here to pressure anybody into a financial decision that does not sit well with them. If one has the means, get what you want when you want it. When budgets and paying off credit cards are a concern, shop responsibly. Based on the list in the first post, I suggested the C3 and a couple of different ways to get it. If @ryanosaur decides on it, the hunt for the best deal begins. Black Friday cometh.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’m not here to pressure anybody into a financial decision that does not sit well with them. If one has the means, get what you want when you want it. When budgets and paying off credit cards are a concern, shop responsibly. Based on the list in the first post, I suggested the C3 and a couple of different ways to get it. If @ryanosaur decides on it, the hunt for the best deal begins. Black Friday cometh.
I'm not picking on anybody, just reminding myself. ;) I get it... It's easy to go overboard and lose sight of the "adult" responsibilities we don't really want to subscribe to.
:D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Damn, I thought I got screwed when I bought my first Sharp aquos. Almost 3k for a 32” LCD. Why…..

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I thought I was being spendy in 2016! I just found my receipt for the x850C I bought that February... so its only actually about 8 yrs old.
That was a 55" for $1199. ($400 off.)

Today, the X90L 55" is under $1000!, and that is even less expensive than what I paid for my 49 x900F.

I honestly didn't think an OLED would be within my reach until I started shopping a week or so ago. I thought I would be shooting for the moon with the X93L this year.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
I thought I was being spendy in 2016! I just found my receipt for the x850C I bought that February... so its only actually about 8 yrs old.

Today, the X90L 55" is under $1000!, and that is even less expensive than what I paid for my 49 x900F.

I honestly didn't think an OLED would be within my reach until I started shopping a week or so ago. I thought I would be shooting for the moon with the X93L this year.
Hey! That Sony 65 X90L is at BB at 1099.99 now. It only has a total of 88 dimming zones gets almost as brite as the X93L. I would love to have Sony's 65 A95L in my setup I have the funds available just hard to part with almost 4K on a tv.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You can get the LG G3 77” right now for that money. Do it!;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

OLED prices have really come down in the last 3-4 years as they ramp up those factories.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
OLED prices have really come down in the last 3-4 years as they ramp up those factories.
Panels for OLEDTV 's are very expensive to make the most expensive process. I watched a TV show, "How it's Made" on the process of the chemicals used for OLEDTV 's pretty cool, organic material used.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Panels for OLEDTV 's are very expensive to make the most expensive process. I watched a TV show, "How it's Made" on the process of the chemicals used for OLEDTV 's pretty cool, organic material used.
It is not just the process, it is that if there is one tiny defect on an OLED panel, your eye will pick it out immediately, just like a dead pixel on an LCD. That's why it is easy to make small OLEDS, but large ones get tricky because the percentage of defects was higher early on. The fewer defects, the more panels per run they make and the lower the cost to the consumer.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
@ryanosaur After giving much thought, I'm going to hold up till next year. Sony OLED more than likely will get LG's hand-me down EVO panel. You bet Sony is Itching to get their hands on their panel.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis