A

Alanlee

Audiophyte
I have a home theater system which is based around a Denon 8500, so I am used to good audio. I just ordered a 2024 Ford F-150 Lariat with the Bang and Olufsen (B&O) Unleashed system. Ford's web-site says 14 speakers including two on the ceiling. The salesman claims there are 18 speakers which includes two in each headrest. I understand more speakers does not necessarily mean better quality and that is the root of my query here.

I completed a test drive of a 2023 F-150 with the B&O Unleased system (18 speakers), and I was impressed. My use of the word "impressed" is subjective. I I have been looking for some objective material about the B&O system online, and........very little joy. Most of the information about the unleashed system is disseminated by folks who do not appear to be well schooled in quality audio. I also do not make that claim, however, I have many years of experience with car audio going back to the time I installed an 8 track in my 49 Chevy pickup. Many years, many systems and never something rivaling what I have had at home.

I did consider buying a pickup with a basic audio system, and then, paying someone to install something better. If we go back to my 49 Chevy pickup, my eight-track system did not affect the rest of the vehicle. Ripping into the electrical system of a new vehicle could produce dire consequences, so no, I bailed on that alternative. I am stuck with this B&O Unleashed audio system, and I would appreciate some informed information from folks who have experience listening to the B&O and understand what they heard even if they were not impressed. The Lariat will not arrive until spring 2024, so I have plenty of time for your response.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well you’re right. Modern audio systems are very deeply integrated and your reticence is just. However the aftermarket has been able to keep pace. IMO a lot of the audio systems are good enough to leave well enough alone. As far as the B and O, I’ve always seen them as a lifestyle brand more than performance. I have a lifelong friend who owns three car audio shops and if it were me, I’d support one of those guys and buy the truck without the B and O system and upgrade accordingly. I would also save myself much bigger headaches and not buy a ford!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A truck isn't a particularly great place for audio, but I'd think it will sound good enough for the environment. What is the cost of the system? I've only heard B&O home gear here and there and mostly many years ago....good but always thought it was more about styling/aesthetics.

A

Alanlee

Audiophyte
Well you’re right. Modern audio systems are very deeply integrated and your reticence is just. However the aftermarket has been able to keep pace. IMO a lot of the audio systems are good enough to leave well enough alone. As far as the B and O, I’ve always seen them as a lifestyle brand more than performance. I have a lifelong friend who owns three car audio shops and if it were me, I’d support one of those guys and buy the truck without the B and O system and upgrade accordingly. I would also save myself much bigger headaches and not buy a ford!
So, B&O like Bose?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a home theater system which is based around a Denon 8500, so I am used to good audio. I just ordered a 2024 Ford F-150 Lariat with the Bang and Olufsen (B&O) Unleashed system. Ford's web-site says 14 speakers including two on the ceiling. The salesman claims there are 18 speakers which includes two in each headrest. I understand more speakers does not necessarily mean better quality and that is the root of my query here.

I completed a test drive of a 2023 F-150 with the B&O Unleased system (18 speakers), and I was impressed. My use of the word "impressed" is subjective. I I have been looking for some objective material about the B&O system online, and........very little joy. Most of the information about the unleashed system is disseminated by folks who do not appear to be well schooled in quality audio. I also do not make that claim, however, I have many years of experience with car audio going back to the time I installed an 8 track in my 49 Chevy pickup. Many years, many systems and never something rivaling what I have had at home.

I did consider buying a pickup with a basic audio system, and then, paying someone to install something better. If we go back to my 49 Chevy pickup, my eight-track system did not affect the rest of the vehicle. Ripping into the electrical system of a new vehicle could produce dire consequences, so no, I bailed on that alternative. I am stuck with this B&O Unleashed audio system, and I would appreciate some informed information from folks who have experience listening to the B&O and understand what they heard even if they were not impressed. The Lariat will not arrive until spring 2024, so I have plenty of time for your response.
That '49 Chevy needs a record player. Just sayin'.

A

Alanlee

Audiophyte
A truck isn't a particularly great place for audio, but I'd think it will sound good enough for the environment. What is the cost of the system? I've only heard B&O home gear here and there and mostly many years ago....good but always thought it was more about styling/aesthetics.
The pickup is 80K with tax. The B&O system is part of a package that costs about 3K.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Car audio has evolved over the years from my experience. The stock systems sounded terrible IMO when I started years ago upgrading the systems myself in my first couple of used vehicles. I Found that when I started buying new vehicles the manufacturers stuff sounded better. They obviously caught on to the aftermarket business and went after the extra money working with audio companies. One thing to consider is the warranty. If you get a good long term warranty that includes the music system that may make a difference for your peace of mind long term. If you like the sound and are comfortable with the price ok. since you have the time check with a local audio shop and see what they offer and then you can make a decision with all the facts.

A

Alanlee

Audiophyte
Car audio has evolved over the years from my experience. The stock systems sounded terrible IMO when I started years ago upgrading the systems myself in my first couple of used vehicles. I Found that when I started buying new vehicles the manufacturers stuff sounded better. They obviously caught on to the aftermarket business and went after the extra money working with audio companies. One thing to consider is the warranty. If you get a good long term warranty that includes the music system that may make a difference for your peace of mind long term. If you like the sound and are comfortable with the price ok. since you have the time check with a local audio shop and see what they offer and then you can make a decision with all the facts.
I do not want to get too far astray here; I have a lifetime warranty on the Ram pickup I have now. 100K warranty on the Ford F-150 is 3K. I have not found a company who sells a lifetime warranty for the Ford. The Ram has a passable entertainment system with a sub-woofer.

Interestingly enough, I talked to a local audio shop guy. He quoted 3-4K for aftermarket equipment. As it happens, he drives a Ford pickup, but not one with the B&O system. He has not modified his pickup. He suggested I might be satisfied with the B&O system.

Here is the best review I have found on the Ford B&O system.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I do not want to get too far astray here; I have a lifetime warranty on the Ram pickup I have now. 100K warranty on the Ford F-150 is 3K. I have not found a company who sells a lifetime warranty for the Ford. The Ram has a passable entertainment system with a sub-woofer.

Interestingly enough, I talked to a local audio shop guy. He quoted 3-4K for aftermarket equipment. As it happens, he drives a Ford pickup, but not one with the B&O system. He has not modified his pickup. He suggested I might be satisfied with the B&O system.

Here is the best review I have found on the Ford B&O system.

It is hard to modify sound systems on vehicles now. The systems are integral with the center console and if you alter the warranty is voided.

The other issue is the high frequency digital voltage regulation on all current vehicles now. Fitting after market audio is very difficult with this system, now universal and if you do fit aftermarket audio, more often than not you get a loud roar of a hum for your pains.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I was a salesman/installer for high-end car audio for around 85 to 95....things are very different now.

Even as early as 1995, we started to see the integration of car audio circuits with other circuitry in vehicles....meaning you shouldn't mess with some things.
And this was before touchscreens and advanced Integrated SOC's.

Don't mess with new cars audio systems !!
You can still caveman-in a big subwoofer box by tapping into speaker lines. etc....but messing with the basic audio functions will void half, if not most of your warranties. Not to mention end up being an expensive, frustrating waste of time and money.
Those dealers will just love it when your wipers dont work anymore, and tell you that messing with the radio is what caused the problem.
The car makers did this on purpose and laid many booby traps for those that want to mess about.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I was a salesman/installer for high-end car audio for around 85 to 95....things are very different now.

Even as early as 1995, we started to see the integration of car audio circuits with other circuitry in vehicles....meaning you shouldn't mess with some things.

You can still caveman-in a big subwoofer box by tapping into speaker lines. etc....but messing with the basic audio functions will void half, if not most of your warranties. Not to mention end up being an expensive, frustrating waste of time and money.
Those dealers will just love it when your wipers dont work anymore, and tell you that messing with the radio is what caused the problem.
The car makers did this on purpose and laid many booby traps for those that want to mess about.
Exactly. I know of horror stories.

If he does not like that B & O sound system, then he will have to trade vehicles.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

They didn't do this to booby trap anything or anyone, they did it because it requires smaller gauge wiring and that saves the auto makers a huge amount of money. Copper is expensive, now and it was becoming that way in the '90s when they started multiplexing. Remember the Hondas with the head unit that was integral to the security system and it couldn't be removed, so it was hidden in the console? Yeah, good times!

It can be done now but if it compromises the warranty, I don't think it's worth doing. Glad I got out of car audio in the late-'90s.

A

Alanlee

Audiophyte
They didn't do this to booby trap anything or anyone, they did it because it requires smaller gauge wiring and that saves the auto makers a huge amount of money. Copper is expensive, now and it was becoming that way in the '90s when they started multiplexing. Remember the Hondas with the head unit that was integral to the security system and it couldn't be removed, so it was hidden in the console? Yeah, good times!

It can be done now but if it compromises the warranty, I don't think it's worth doing. Glad I got out of car audio in the late-'90s.
"if it compromises the warranty, I don't think it's worth doing." Yes, that is what the local car audio guy said, so your advice is solid - thanks.

When the F-150 Ford Lariat arrives next spring, I can form my own ideas about the sound quality of the B&O system. In the meantime, I would like to find some informed folks who have listened to the system and are willing to share their ideas like the guy at cars.com in the link above. The more I know, the more I will be able to answer questions from people who ride in the pickup. Who knows, I may want to make a YouTube video about the B&O system.........Not!

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
If an installer you trust that sells aftermarket systems and has the same system says you should keep the B&O that would be good enough for me.

highfigh

highfigh

"if it compromises the warranty, I don't think it's worth doing." Yes, that is what the local car audio guy said, so your advice is solid - thanks.

When the F-150 Ford Lariat arrives next spring, I can form my own ideas about the sound quality of the B&O system. In the meantime, I would like to find some informed folks who have listened to the system and are willing to share their ideas like the guy at cars.com in the link above. The more I know, the more I will be able to answer questions from people who ride in the pickup. Who knows, I may want to make a YouTube video about the B&O system.........Not!
YouTube should already have videos about the B&O, but they may not be specific to this model year.

I did car audio for 20 years and worked on roughly 7000 vehicles of various types including car systems that were entered in IASCA competitions- compared with what car audio used to be, anything I have heard in the last 15 years is miles better. Sure, I may not like the frequency balance but I have far fewer complaints than I did before. Thank the aftermarket for the improvement- GM was one of the first to realize that they were leaving a lot of money on the table by not upgrading and in '94, they came out with head units that were better, thanks to Rockford-Fosgate. Still not great, but better.

The real questions now are:

How much does an aftermarket system or upgrade cost?
Will it cause problems for the warranty and operation of the vehicle?
How much better will it be?

If the answers are:

A lot- more than $2000,
Probably or yes,
Somewhat, but it won't be ground-breakingly better,

I wouldn't do it. OTOH, I wouldn't really want to pay $3K for the OEM upgrade, either.

There are ways to get around some of the OEM vehicle's functions and wiring, but even those are tricky. The steering wheel controls can be maintained using interfaces by PAC (owned by AAMP of America) and others- I have received e-mails from SKAR, but they're also in Florida and may have theirs privately labeled by PAC but AFAIK, the head unit should stay and one of the main add-ons/improvements is a subwoofer.

A

Alanlee

Audiophyte
Thank you for that 20 years. It is people like you who have made my life more complete because the audio and video systems in cars have made major improvements.

As for information about the F-150 and B&O on YouTube, not so much there. Part of the problem is that the music industry is very protective of its copyrights. If one uses music that people normally listen to in demonstrating the function of a device, an algorithm blocks your YouTube video. If you couple that with the fact that folks who do YouTube videos about cars while they may know stuff about autos, they are not audiophiles. I do not claim extraordinary knowledge of audio, but watching the YouTube videos about AV systems in cars usually generates more questions than answers from my perspective. So, why is this important.

I think car manufacturers watch the reviews of their autos on YouTube and will from time to time make changes based on what they are seeing. Naive - maybe, nevertheless, if more audiophiles would do reviews of the entertainment systems the manufacturers are putting in their cars, things might improve. At the least, some of my questions would be answered.

For instance, if the B&O system is 7.1.2, why no Dolby or Atmos. Apple music is doing some great stuff with Atmos. What about Dirac in cars. I think it's available. I do not find YouTube videos about it. The answers to these questions could be the additional cost to add those features, or the car makers assume that most people don't care about that stuff.

As for your statements above:

"How much does an aftermarket system or upgrade cost?
Will it cause problems for the warranty and operation of the vehicle?
How much better will it be?
If the answers are:
A lot- more than $2000,
Probably or yes,
Somewhat, but it won't be ground-breakingly better,

I wouldn't do it. OTOH, I wouldn't really want to pay $3K for the OEM upgrade, either."

I agree with you, and that is why I ordered the pickup with the B&O system already installed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis