Automatic Room Correction / Speaker Calibration. YPO vs Audyssey MultEQ XT

S

SonomaComa

Enthusiast
I am in the process of choosing between the Yamaha RX-V475 and the Denon AVR-X1000. Both list for approx. $450.00. The Yamaha does have a MHL HDMI Input, the Denon does not. From what I have been reading is the Audyssey MutEQ XT will calibrate the Sub and that YPAO does not but certain versions will. What different versions of YPAO are there?
And after running the Room Calibration the Yamaha can still be fine tuned and tweaked to the users liking while the Audyssey cannot. From what I've read and experienced from my Marantz SR6007, if you are not happy with the Audyssey's calibration too bad you just have get used to it.
It seems like Yamaha has a huge faithful Fan Club that raves about their products. Is the sound quality between the two really that much different? The system will be mostly for 90% music and 10% (if that) for movies. It is going to start out as just a two channel system for now and a sub will be added down the line. But why add a sub if the receiver can't calibrate it. Some reviews say the Yamaha is better for music but it will only calibrate the low frequencies down to a certain level . Connecting iTunes devices will be used, A C.D. player will be added and streaming Pandora will be from a Roku.
For this type of setup will one room calibration have and advantage over the other? Does one really sound better than the other for music? I'm just not sure what would really be the deciding factor beings they are so closely priced.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Okay, they both can deal with distance (delay) and levels for all channels. So both work with a full set of speakers, including the subwoofer. But the Yamaha system is limited in its ability to automatically deal with an equalizer for the deep bass to flatten the response. So, this means that whatever frequency response irregularities there are in the subwoofer or its interaction with the room (below a certain frequency, somewhere around 60 Hz if memory serves) will not be automatically corrected. But you will still have whatever bass your subwoofer does in your room.

Now, Yamaha has quite a following in large part because they tend to make trouble-free, reliable units.

If you bypass the automatic equalization of both systems, and do the setup identically, you will likely never hear any difference between a Yamaha and a Denon. But most people, when they compare things, do not set them up identically, and so of course they will then sound different. Imagine comparing two identical receivers, with one where you have fiddled with the bass and treble controls, and the other one you have left flat; you will likely hear a difference between them, but it does not mean that those two identical receivers are capable of different performance.

In short, both are capable of sounding good, and so you should pick based on the price you can get (from an authorized dealer if you want a warranty), the features you want, and reliability. Denon is not bad for any of these, but I plan on sticking with Yamaha.

For the exact abilities of both receivers, you can go to the respective manufacturer's web sites and look at the detailed information there, and even download the owner's manuals (at the U.S. Yamaha site, you have to register to download manuals, but it is free). If registering offends your sensibilities, you can go to www.crutchfield.com and if they sell the receiver, then you can download the manual from them without registering.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I run Audyssey and then fine tune manually afterwards. So yes, you can fine tune Audyssey.

I love the Audyssey Dynamic EQ (sub EQ). I actually just Bypass Audyssey LR but keep Dynamic EQ engaged (again, fine tuning).

I am a Denon-for-life guy because I love Audyssey Dynamic EQ. :D

S

SonomaComa

Enthusiast
Now I'm trying to decide between the Yamaha RX-V675 or the Denon AVR X-2000. Here at the local Best Buy they have the Denon in the Special Magnolia Room where they claim to keep the best stuff. The Yamaha is out on the floor with everything else that starts out at about $199.00. Is that a hint that the build quality of the Yamaha is in a lower class than the Denon?

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Best Buy would like people to think that but its the same stuff. Just the lower models of the line that are kept on the main floor.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Now I'm trying to decide between the Yamaha RX-V675 or the Denon AVR X-2000. Here at the local Best Buy they have the Denon in the Special Magnolia Room where they claim to keep the best stuff. The Yamaha is out on the floor with everything else that starts out at about $199.00. Is that a hint that the build quality of the Yamaha is in a lower class than the Denon?
It doesn't matter where they place the AVR in the store. I would still buy a Denon. :D

Just make sure you get a price match from Amazon, Newegg, Tiger, etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis