Auralex worked! But cheaper solutions?

K

kaos

Junior Audioholic
I've got what could be considered one of the worst rooms ever for acoustics. A small 12x12 square room with some of the worst echo you've ever heard. It is the dedicated theater room and I've spent a lot of time and effort in setting everything up just right. I was recently given some leftover bass traps from a friend by Auralex and they made a world of difference for the low end frequencies. The bass was much tighter and sounded more controlled. Plus the little wall rattle problem that occurs at high volumes is now gone! I've also set up some more Auralex absorbers throughout the room and the echo has been reduced significantly, which I'm extremly happy about, but I do need to buy more absorbers and diffusers to finish treating the room. But the prices are a little high for that stuff. I look at it and think, "But this is just foam! Why so expensive!" Is there anywhere I can buy the same material for way cheaper? Then I'd just cut it and hang it where it needs to go.

Anybody use anything different that works just as well?:confused:

Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer

Full Audioholic
> "But this is just foam! Why so expensive!" Is there anywhere I can buy the same material for way cheaper? <

A better question is probably:

"Is there anywhere I can buy something much better but for the same cost?"

Otherwise, your best option is to DIY some panels using rigid fiberglass wrapped in fabric. That is better than foam, and it costs less too, but you have to do more work.

--Ethan

K

kaos

Junior Audioholic
Is there an article that shows how to make the panels with those materials?

Wow, this is about to save me a lot of money. Thanks!

J

Joel DuBay

Audiophyte
kaos said:
Is there an article that shows how to make the panels with those materials?

Wow, this is about to save me a lot of money. Thanks!
There are, and we'll have a how-to at our site very soon that should help,.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis