Audyssey Dynamic EQ

N

ned

Full Audioholic
Is this available only to Denon products? The press release is confusing. Some of the Denon product it mentions are already available. Does it mean they wont have the Dynamic EQ if bought before CEDIA?

Last edited:
J

jgirado

Audiophyte
Ever since the 'analog' era I value a lot the simple 'loudness' feature of most pre-amps. It really makes a different using the system at low volume. For some reason it seems the 'loudness' slowly disappear in the digital era.

I was excited when I read that Audyssey Dynamic EQ will provide this feature again so I called Denon tech support and asked them if my Denon 4806 will support this feature through a firmware upgrade in a near future.

Bad news! The guy told me that my Denon is "too old" (but but it has less than two years!) and even if I upgrade it, after $500, to a 4806CI (one of the Denon top of the line receivers) it won't be possible to have this new Audyssey Dynamic EQ embedded in it. Darn!

I checked Denon web site and downloaded the manual of the new lesser model, the Denon 4308CI, but couldn't find any references to Audyssey, just something like 'installer ready' which I don't know what it means, but I suspect I have to spend more money than the price list. Bummer!

Oh well, if Denon considers a top of the line receiver too old after two years and not eligible for more updates, time to switch brand! Onkyo may be? (I'll stick with A/V Receivers with Audyssey, is really good!).

Javier

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
The Behringer DCX2496 loudspeaker management system uses (Dynamic EQ) on each of the three inputs and each output on the HF and LF.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Audyssey new acoustic calibration system

http://uk.cinenow.tv/videos/638

So that’s how it works with excellent customer support via connecting it up to the internet and uploading the data information to determine whether you did it correctly or not.

Oh well, if Denon considers a top of the line receiver too old after two years and not eligible for more updates, time to switch brand! Onkyo may be? (I'll stick with A/V Receivers with Audyssey, is really good!).
You think Onkyo will upgrade their receivers after two years? After one year? I've personally never understood the mentality behind demanding upgradable products. The chipsets are advancing so fast these days there are limits to what can be "flashed". Most of the new technology requires completely different silicon.

For example, I can't flash upgrade my video card's on-board supported version of DirectX or change my AGP card into PCI-Express... (weak analogy, but you get the idea).

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I've personally never understood the mentality behind demanding upgradable products. The chipsets are advancing so fast these days...
I completely agree. I always sorta chuckled and shook my head when I'd read descriptions of high-end Denon or Onkyo receivers in which the seller would use the terms "future-proof."

J

jgirado

Audiophyte
You think Onkyo will upgrade their receivers after two years? After one year? I've personally never understood the mentality behind demanding upgradable products. The chipsets are advancing so fast these days there are limits to what can be "flashed". Most of the new technology requires completely different silicon.

For example, I can't flash upgrade my video card's on-board supported version of DirectX or change my AGP card into PCI-Express... (weak analogy, but you get the idea).
OK Let's go by section :)
1) I completely agree about your perspective of Onkyo. I'm sure it won't be better than Denon. I got a little mad (after all I spent a lot of money) because Denon tech support was a little rude when he said 'your system is too old'. If I have to buy a new receiver, I'll buy Denon again mostly because it sounds very good (to my ears, at least). The features, quality, etc./price ratio is very very good (again, in my opinion).
2) I completely disagree with you about not demanding updateable and upgradable products: People should demand and buy only products that, if possible, can be updated (fix bugs) and upgraded (add new features) for some time. This is one of the reason I bought my Denon.
In order to compete, more and more companies are releasing products without thorough testing. I kind of understand this. When bugs show up (and believe me, they will show up!), the only way to fix them is if the device supports an update. And if they miss some nice feature or want to implement a better algorithm, then is great if the device can support upgrades too. High-end cameras like Nikkon and Canon (and I consider my Denon high-end) do these all the time. They fix bugs, and for one-two years, release firmware with some new features or better algorithms. Nice!
Of course, although ideal, is impossible to have a 'future-proof' system. I'd never ask for this. I just want some support and maintenance until the hardware can't handle it. Specially with costly equipments.
Lately I bought a lot of Audio/Video equipment and got frustrated by the fact that ALL of them came with bugs. Case in point: The DVD changer Yamaha C950 (bought after Audioholics recommendation of the Yamaha C750), full of annoyances in the menu (some of them mentioned in Audioholics C750 review) and DVDs incompatibilities. E-mailed Yamaha Tech support, they sent me to their local Yamaha support; Support told me 'there is no update'! e-mail Yamaha (again), etc., etc. Get the picture (and I'll never buy Yamaha again). Panasonic EDTV 42" Plasma: After two years I decided to use CableCARD, didn't work, called Panasonic, they sent firmware update, installed it, IT WORKED! My next HDTV plasma is going to be Panasonic. I have more stories but you know what I’m talking about.
3) As for the possibility of upgrade or not the Denon 4806 with the new algorithm, well, neither you nor me will ever know for sure if it’s possible. I very get the point with your example (I agree, the analogy is weak since your are talking about a totally different bus and not a firmware change). BUT, my point is that it could be very well a political decision (like Customer Satisfaction vs. Economics or Marketing). I designed and developed embedded systems, programmed firmware and drivers, etc. so I have a good idea how difficult (or costly) could be to maintain an “old” product, even if is possible. Does the Denon *NEW* 4308CI that suppose to support the Audyssey Dynamics EQ has a new different DSP? Faster DSP? More memory? More EEPROM? Different architecture? Etc? It doesn’t strike me a new completely redesign receiver. Usually companies cash on former designs to release new products (they change a resistor and now the Amplifier section is called UltraPureHD True Sound..:).
May be you’re right, that little extra memory they added to the DSP makes it possible to add the new algorithm. Or, it could be that Denon just want people to upgrade to the new receiver, as simple as this (more profit). Or may be the software team, due to cost policy, has been moved to the new project (receiver), no time or resource to continue maintaining a ‘two year old’ receiver. Who knows. At the end, Customer Satisfactions is what could matters to them: If I complain, who cares. If LOT of people complains, they’ll care! And they’ll work on that.
Anyway, these are my thoughts. Hope nobody got too bored ☺

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis