Audyssey concerns - Onkyo TX-SR608

T

techjpc

Enthusiast
I am looking at purchasing a new receiver, specifically the Onkyo TX-SR608. I checked the specs and noticed that it has Audyssey 2EQ : Our basic resolution room correction solution that uses basic resolution filters for the satellites, but does not apply a filter to the subwoofers

Should I look for a receiver that has Audyssey MULTEQ (Our standard resolution room correction solution that uses mid-level resolution filters for satellites and subwoofers.

My concern with the 2EQ is no filter for the subwoofer. Should I be that concerned ?

Center: Polk CS10
Mains: Polk Tsi100
Surrounds: JBL Control 1x
Sub: Mirage PS10

Thanks
Joe

S

sptrout

Audioholic
Yep, I would be concerned. The main advantage in using Audyssey IMO is its ability in taming the low frequencies, especially the subwoofer frequency range.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Never bought any kind of expensive electronics refurbed.
Ac4L is official dealer of Onkyo and they provide same warranty (by Onkyo) as new unit. Most people whom bought refub happy with them.
I bought refub $260 Vacuum online and it works fine on it's 3rd year now

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Actually the warranty on onkyo avrs is 2 years now, but that is a great price and the 1 year warranty isn't bad. If I wanted to spend a maximum of $400 and get a receiver, that's what I'd get.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Well the Pioneer doesn't have Audyssey, it has MCACC which is proprietary to Pioneer. I'm sure it's fine but I don't know how capable (better, worse, the same?) it is when compared to MultiEQ or whatever.

Also, the SR707 has preouts which is nice if you upgrade speakers in the future and want to add external amplification.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If I were you I'd use the difference in money to upgrade the speakers or start saving toward it.
I won't get anywhere near non-Elite pioneers as they drastically overstate their amp performance, in reality you'd get about 50wpc or less with clean power, not anywhere near 100wpc as none-Elite Pioneer claims.
707 is also rated for 2 and 4 Ohm speakers which 1020 is not and more than that it'll probably void the warranty if you use 4ohm speakers with it.

Audyssey is time proven system which works, especially well for inexpensive speakers like your polks...

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
707 is also rated for 2 and 4 Ohm speakers which 1020 is not and more than that it'll probably void the warranty if you use 4ohm speakers with it.
Haha, my future brother in law had that issue. He bought an entry level receiver, and tried using his htib speakers. The speakers were "3 ohms" according to the labeling. Killed his brand new receiver - it was replaced but he ended up having to pay for it due to it being his mistake. Nobody ever reads manuals anymore :D

T

techjpc

Enthusiast
If I were you I'd use the difference in money to upgrade the speakers or start saving toward it.
I won't get anywhere near non-Elite pioneers as they drastically overstate their amp performance, in reality you'd get about 50wpc or less with clean power, not anywhere near 100wpc as none-Elite Pioneer claims.

Audyssey is time proven system which works, especially well for inexpensive speakers like your polks...
So, bottom line is , the Onkyo 608 and 707 can both handle my speakers, but the Pioneer cant ?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
The 608 isn't 4-ohm certified either. The pioneer and 608 can handle your current speakers fine.

T

techjpc

Enthusiast
The Polks are 8ohm as are the JBL's. Maybe I don't quite understand the ohms.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So, bottom line is , the Onkyo 608 and 707 can both handle my speakers, but the Pioneer cant ?
Both 608 and 1020 can handle your polk/jbl and most other speaker ,but 707 could candle your potential future 4ohm speakers - so it's better future proof

T

techjpc

Enthusiast
Still researching (actually waiting for the cash) ... How does the Marantz SR5004 compare with the Onkyo SR707? I don't think having the capability to handle 4ohm speakers is an issue for me. I doubt I'll ever have 4ohm speakers.

Joe

Last edited:
J

jeannot

Audioholic
Never bought any kind of expensive electronics refurbed.
I have, my 3808CI from Dakmart. Like new with all new accessories, about 50% of retail price. Bought 1.5 years ago, runs like a champ.

What I never buy refurb is anything that can suffer wear or fatigue like rechargeable batteries, speakers or hard drives.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Yep, I would be concerned. The main advantage in using Audyssey IMO is its ability in taming the low frequencies, especially the subwoofer frequency range.
So, for those of us with gear sporting the 2EQ system (like my 605, or the 608 Joe is contemplating), should we just leave it off rather than keep it in the loop?

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Joe,

Not sure about your money situation, but the 608 may be phased out in favor of the new 609, so you may want to consider just getting the brand new 609 instead...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis