Audreal PA-M 20 Watt Class A Power Amplifier

KEFAUDIO

KEFAUDIO

Audiophyte
HI EVERYBODY!
I have just bought a Audreal PA-M 20 Watt Class A Power Amplifier my question i was told by seller that and this is what i was told .COUPLE OF THINGS WITH THE AMP, IT NEEDS 15 - 20 MINUTES TO WARM UP BEFORE SOUNDING GOOD, ALSO IT RUNS HOT.. SO DONT BE CONCERNED , THATS THE NATURE OF CLASS A AMPS, PWR CORDS WILL MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE WITH THE AMP AND PRE AMP, AND CD PLAYER.. IF YOU DONT HAVE ANY GO TO ZU PROMOS EBAY, YOU CAN BUY THE ZU BOK FOR ABOUT $50 - 70 , THIS IS WHAT I USE , THEY ARE AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN MY $500 NORDOST VISNU CABLES YOU WILL GET BETTER BASS SOUNDSTAGE AND DETAIL, WELL WORTH IT.

1 .15 - 20 MINUTES TO WARM UP BEFORE SOUNDING GOOD

2 . PWR CORDS WILL MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE

3 . runs HOT.. SO DONT BE CONCERNED , THATS THE NATURE OF CLASS A AMPS

is all of this fine?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Nope, Its mostly all BS anyway you slice it except for the running hot bit. Class A amps are inefficient and even when idling (have no signal to amplify) consume a lot of power. If the amp doesn't have enough heatsink or is poorly physically coupled to the output stage, then the amp will run hot. Thats the only shed of truth. Power chords don't affect sound in anyway and it doesn't need 20 minutes to warm up to ound good, especially a Class A amp which the seller is telling you that it runs hot. Stay clear from this clown.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed. #3 is fine. The rest is nonsense. The problem with amplifiers that are biased Class A is that they are very inefficient. The Class A bias doesn't affect sound. The only reason to produce a class A amp is to have a story to tell to gullible audiophiles. I was a gullible audiophile myself some time ago. I've owned several class A amps over the years.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed. #3 is fine. The rest is nonsense. The problem with amplifiers that are biased Class A is that they are very inefficient. The Class A bias doesn't affect sound. The only reason to produce a class A amp is to have a story to tell to gullible audiophiles. I was a gullible audiophile myself some time ago. I've owned several class A amps over the years.
Class A offers the advantage of no crossover or notch distortion. Whether that kind of distortion is audible especially on properly designed class AB amps is listener dependent I guess. I can't hear it. :)

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
You can't hear it because it isn't audible. I wouldn't say listener dependent. I would say belief dependent.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
You can't hear it because it isn't audible. I wouldn't say listener dependent. I would say belief dependent.
It's audible if it's high enough in level (bad amp design). The key issues with it is that its' non-harmonic in nature and increases as output decreases.

The first two are nonsense, and the third one is true.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AudioNuts

Audiophyte
HI EVERYBODY!
I have just bought a Audreal PA-M 20 Watt Class A Power Amplifier my question i was told by seller that and this is what i was told .COUPLE OF THINGS WITH THE AMP, IT NEEDS 15 - 20 MINUTES TO WARM UP BEFORE SOUNDING GOOD, ALSO IT RUNS HOT.. SO DONT BE CONCERNED , THATS THE NATURE OF CLASS A AMPS, PWR CORDS WILL MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE WITH THE AMP AND PRE AMP, AND CD PLAYER.. IF YOU DONT HAVE ANY GO TO ZU PROMOS EBAY, YOU CAN BUY THE ZU BOK FOR ABOUT $50 - 70 , THIS IS WHAT I USE , THEY ARE AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN MY $500 NORDOST VISNU CABLES YOU WILL GET BETTER BASS SOUNDSTAGE AND DETAIL, WELL WORTH IT.

A.TRUE

A.TRUE

A.TRUE. This very normal for Class A amps.

is all of this fine?
A good power cord will make a difference, lot of audio guys don't realize that power cords play huge part on your system, same goes with your speaker cables and interconnect cables etc.... Don't believe me, experiment! hear what you've been missing...;) Regards, AudioNuts

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
A good power cord will make a difference, lot of audio guys don't realize that power cords play huge part on your system, same goes with your speaker cables and interconnect cables etc.... Don't believe me, experiment! hear what you've been missing...;) Regards, AudioNuts
Fair warning: your post is like hanging a "Kick Me!" sign on your butt around here.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I hear dead people, but only when Audyssey is enabled. :p

Actually, I have heard negative impacts on my system when connnected to the Panamax 5400 power conditioner amp outlet.
This was true for the Sunfire 7400, Outlaw 7500, and ATI 3005.
I plugged the Parasound A51 directly into the wall since I decided nothing good comes from putting hte Panamax in the chain.

- Rich

Last edited:
A

AudioNuts

Audiophyte
Yep, don't believe you. Many have tried, some still claim but none have heard.

Have you take time to experiment??? Probably NOT, it takes lot off effort but at the end of the day it pays off. A really good power cord will make a difference, a PURE Cooper PCOCC-A or a PURE SILVER conductor shielded with Copper foil tape, High-End Connectors will take you to next level, better resolution!, much better soundstage with more black background , define bass, more details, more musical flavor well you get the point.... then again lot of people in this hobby don't really care as long you can play some music is OK "right!"

YES! a Really Good Power Cord WILL make a DIFFERENCE!!!!
;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Have you take time to experiment??? Probably NOT, it takes lot off effort but at the end of the day it pays off. A really good power cord will make a difference, a PURE Cooper PCOCC-A or a PURE SILVER conductor shielded with Copper foil tape, High-End Connectors will take you to next level, better resolution!, much better soundstage with more black background , define bass, more details, more musical flavor well you get the point.... then again lot of people in this hobby don't really care as long you can play some music is OK "right!"

YES! a Really Good Power Cord WILL make a DIFFERENCE!!!!
;)
A fool and their money are easily parted..

jinjuku

jinjuku

Watch this guys:

I have $2000 that says you can't come over, stone cold, single blind, on my Statements pick out the musical passage with a $400 Cardas power cord vs a stock utility cable.

In 15 flips of the coin you won't be able at the end with 14 out of 15 tell me which is which. 1 day. Remember this means you fail when you mis-guess more than once. It won't even go to the full 15 coin flips.

PM me and we can arrange Flight, Hotel, Accommodations. You win it will be $2000 and I take care of your incidentals. I win you owe me $2000. I'll get a simple agreement setup and use a 3rd party for escrow. When escrow is fully funded you can come on out.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Amps don't require power filtration. They aren't meant to be ran on a power conditioner. A competent amp will have all the filtering it needs built in.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis