AudioSource Power Amplifier - Advice

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
How are these amplifiers ?

Which will be better from following ?

1 amp AMP 310 in stereo mode = 150X2 @ 8 ohms - This for $900

OR

2 of AMP 102 bridged mode = 150X2 @ 8 ohms - This will be for $ 500 for 2 amps.

OR

2 of AMP 100 bridged mode = 150X2 @ 8 ohms - This will be for $ 400 for 2 amps.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
First, how have you arrived at the fact that you need an amp?

Second, $900 for an Audiosource amp is ridiculous. $599 is the price at Parts Express, but event in that price range you should be looking at Emotiva Audio Corporation instead.

I picked up my Audiosource Amp300 brand new for $200 and a second one used, but basically brand new condition for $100. They are pretty decent amps, but not something I would pay top dollar for.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
@garcia-Thanks

I need power amp for listning to stereo music. I currently have a Pioneer THX SC 35 receiver but not happy @ 2 channel while listning to music (CD). So I decided to

1) upgrade my speaker (just front floor standing) and

2) add power amps to the front 2 channels.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I need power amp for listning to stereo music. I currently have a Pioneer THX SC 35 receiver but not happy @ 2 channel while listning to music (CD). So I decided to

1) upgrade my speaker (just front floor standing) and

2) add power amps to the front 2 channels.
If your room is still 15 X 12, I would get the new speakers,
and test it with the receiver. The Pioneer is not a wimp, and
extra power will not transform any poor design/engineered
speakers, along with poor speaker placement.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
If your room is still 15 X 12, I would get the new speakers,
and test it with the receiver. The Pioneer is not a wimp, and
extra power will not transform any poor design/engineered
speakers, along with poor speaker placement.
Yes i'm working on speaker. have planned to look at at least 6~8 speakers tomorrow.....

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
From your other thread, answering here since two threads for the same topic is redundant and there is more info in this one:
Thanks

1) so are you saying that adding a seperate power amp will not change the sound quality as compared to a class D amp ?

2) Emotiva is aclass A/B amp and I'm sure the sound quality will be better
Your pioneer class D amp is perfectly fine and unless you are pushing it past it's limits, which is unlikely, you probably would notice no difference adding an emotiva amp.

It is far more likley that you are not happy with your speakers and/or their setup in your room. Have you played with the placement and setup of your speakers at all?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
That and you simply can't pick an amp before picking speakers.

Say you go grab some Emotiva UPA (great amp) but then get a pair of magipan speakers (or something equally low ohm / high voltage). Your out-of-luck.

You start with speakers and then chose an amp based on the speaker's needs.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
It is far more likley that you are not happy with your speakers and/or their setup in your room. Have you played with the placement and setup of your speakers at all?

Yes I played a lot with speaker setup. Put them in different rooms. in game room, in living room (bathroom is the only place left). same problem.....

Last edited:
G

Grador

Yes I played a lot with speaker setup. Put them in different rooms. in game room, in living room (bathroom is the only place left). same problem.....
Just read through your "quality of sound" thread, I think that's the only one you need.

G

Grador

quaility of sound is my thread.....
Yeah, which is why I called it your thread. All the information on this topic you need is right there, I don't understand the purpose of this one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've owned 2 AudioSource A300 amps. This is my advice: Don't waste your money or time. :D

If you really, really must have an amp, get a Harman Crown XLS 1500 stereo amp for about $350 if you want a high quality cheap amp. It is 300wpc 8ohm, 525wpc 4ohm, 775wpc 2ohm.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You don't seem to be getting it.

If you don't like the sound of the speakers, no amp will change it sufficiently that you would like them.

How many more times will you need to be told this?

Perhaps upping your budget and looking at some Legacy Classics (speakers)will help you find satisfaction.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
If you don't like the sound of the speakers, no amp will change it sufficiently that you would like them.

How many more times will you need to be told this?

Perhaps upping your budget and looking at some Legacy Classics (speakers)will help you find satisfaction.
All of you guys were completely wrong. There is no problem with the speaker. The problem was receiver. I will send you my detail project report later tonight and how the problem is resolved.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
All of you guys were completely wrong. There is no problem with the speaker. The problem was receiver. I will send you my detail project report later tonight and how the problem is resolved.
OK so here is the project report…..
Phase 1
I visited many of the electronics stores in Houston with my CD (Dire straits) and asked all of them to play same song using a pioneers receiver (if available) using 2 channel stereo. They played this CD again and again in different speakers (from $ 400 / pair to $ 16000/pair). Let’s not discuss on make and model. My overall conclusion was that some were ok, some good and some bad.
Phase 2
I went to a home theater store with my CD and asked him to play my CD on a 2 channel Integrated amplifiers or power amplifiers. These were played in at least 8 different speakers and out of these 8 I shortlisted just 2 sets. I had also packed my receiver (Pioneer SC 35) and kept it in my car and requested the shop manager that I would like to test these 2 shortlisted speakers with my receiver. If it sounds the same I will buy one of them. He agreed. I brought my receiver, hooked it up and bang. Same problem. Looks like the sound doesn’t have the punch and fullness. Even the manager agreed. We worked on my receiver controls and option but nothing. After working on it for an hour both of us gave us and agreed that It was strange. Let me tell you that the store owner is a veteran on audio and stereo equipment. He is about 60 year old and is associated with this field for 25 years.
Phase 3
We got a NAD power amplifier and connected that to the pre out of my pioneer receiver. This was connected to the same speaker that I had liked. But same problem.
Phase 4
The dealer had some old integrated amplifier (Onkyo Integra A 8800) and we connected this to the speaker that I had like and the sound was 10 times better than my receiver. I took this amplifier at home and connected my JBL ES 90 and man, it sounded toooo good . I couldn’t believe that it was the same old JBL. They had so much of power, punch and clarify that I was amazed. I could hear each and every instrument clearly and the sound was so crisp. They were 10 times better than any of the system that I heard in phase 1 above.
Conclusion :
Problem was receiver, not speaker. So I would like to buy a new 2 channel amplifiers / integrated amplifier. Please advice. I have already purchased the Onkyo Integra A 8800 (used) but would like to get something better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis