Audiophile quality speakers for computer use

J

joms

Enthusiast
I am currently using an Audio Engine self powered speakers for my computer paired with an SVS 12" subs (sealed). My speakers sound crap next to my dad's system (which consist of good sounding equipment since he is an audiophile - jadis/conrad johnson-b&w 800-etc)

Anyway, he tried setting up a very simple setup in one of our rooms. It consists of his very old speakers (rogers LS3/5 and also a SPICA in another room). He only used my very cheap yamana AVR amp which was lying around accumulating dust. However, the sound was still damn remarkable compared to my computer system. I know that its the speakers. They just sound so sweet and gentle. He just used a normal denon dvd player.

In this regard, is there any speaker that can give me the same sweetness provided that I use it in a "nearfield" environment (since I am always on my computer). I don't want to setup my speakers like an ordinary setup. It should be placed at the left and right of my computer monitor.

I am using an Asus essence XT soundcard which serves as a pre-amp. I can get a power-amp (tube or whatever) to drive the new speakers. I still plan to use the SVS subs.

Anyone can recommend me an audiophile grade speaker that is designed for nearfield operation? (beside computer monitors)?

Budget for speakers = US$1000ish

Power Amp = around US$1000ish too

U

unclegit

Audiophyte
I'm running a set of Genelec's with matching Sub through an audioengine D2 DAC and am very happy with the results.

Genelecs are active speakers so don't need an amp and are well within your budget.

[Edit Can't post links yet - will update this with links once I've done my trash posts]

Genelec 6010A is an Extremely Compact Two-Way Active Loudspeaker
Genelec 5040A is an extremely compact active subwoofer

I think I paid about $1200 for the speakers and sub and the DAC was a couple of hundred.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
For a desktop, I'd probably opt for active monitors over an amp/passive set up because of space concerns. At $2000, you have a lot of options. In addition to genelec, I'd look at focal (cms) monitors, adam monitors, and dynaudio monitors.

If I were looking at that price range for an amp/passive speakers, I'd check out the PSB imagine mini monitors (I'm a huge PSB fan). PSB Imagine Mini (Walnut) Compact bookshelf speakers at Crutchfield.com

You certainly don't need to spend $1k for an amp to drive them. The NAD C 326 would work fine for them; you could hunt around for a refurbished marantz amp from accessories4less as well. Since you want to use a sub with the speakers, you could pick up the outlaw stereo receiver rr 2150 (which has bass management) and is currently on sale from outlaw at $629: Outlaw's Ho Ho Holiday Savings Cyber Flyer. I like my RR 2150 a lot.

J

joms

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. Dont worry about space concerns if I go the amp/passive route because I have a huge audio rack near my computer table where I can place the amp
I tried looking at the PSB imagine but I think I should have at least a 5" or pref a 6" for the speaker to be able to go down comfortably.

I'll be looking at the genelec. Would this get me close to a rogers LS3/5 / B&W 800 sound if I use a tube amp with it? I wonder if it can even be achievable? (getting the sweet sound, big soundstage, good separation of instruments and vocals, notes with good extension and vocals clear and heartwarming)

Also, I will be using my SVS sealed sub 12" (sledge). I will be controlling its volume such that it won't be that loud during critical songs. I'll just turn it up if im playing fast songs.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm running a set of Genelec's with matching Sub through an audioengine D2 DAC and am very happy with the results.

Genelecs are active speakers so don't need an amp and are well within your budget.

[Edit Can't post links yet - will update this with links once I've done my trash posts]

Genelec 6010A is an Extremely Compact Two-Way Active Loudspeaker
Genelec 5040A is an extremely compact active subwoofer

I think I paid about $1200 for the speakers and sub and the DAC was a couple of hundred.
+1 Genelec is an industry standard for professional near-field audio monitoring
I'm running much cheaper monitors for my home pc and very happy with result -see sig, but if I were to get monitors today I'd be looking at Behringer: TRUTH B3030A or this system: Superior Desktop-Computer System | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and mon

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Honestly my favorite (and I've tried a lot) is a pair of PSB 400i's I picked up on craigslist (my problem is that I'm about 40-degrees vertical off-axis).

I would expect that the small pro monitors (Behringer 2030, KRK Rocket, etc) would also be excellent for near-field listening.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Genelec has fine speakers. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

If you should want to go passive, I'd suggest giving these dudes a try.
Monitors~Philharmonic Audio

They have decent drivers, great crossover design and FR profile. and are firmly within your $$ ballpark. They look easy to drive and should sound pretty sweet. (Disclosure...I have the Philharmonic 2 floorstanders and I love them.)

Ascend Sierra 1's would also be a great addition, or Nates Audio T5's, or Salk SongSurrounds. These would all be hard to beat for quality computer audio.

An inexpensive integrated amp would be all you'd need to make it all sing.

(If you need an amp when all is said and done, PM me. I have my former computer system Emotiva integrated (BPA-1) just sitting in my garage, perhaps looking for a new home.)

Good luck with your search. I really enjoy having a good computer audio system. You can see that I went a little overboard with mine...:eek:....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am currently using an Audio Engine self powered speakers for my computer paired with an SVS 12" subs (sealed). My speakers sound crap next to my dad's system (which consist of good sounding equipment since he is an audiophile - jadis/conrad johnson-b&w 800-etc)

Anyway, he tried setting up a very simple setup in one of our rooms. It consists of his very old speakers (rogers LS3/5 and also a SPICA in another room). He only used my very cheap yamana AVR amp which was lying around accumulating dust. However, the sound was still damn remarkable compared to my computer system. I know that its the speakers. They just sound so sweet and gentle. He just used a normal denon dvd player.

In this regard, is there any speaker that can give me the same sweetness provided that I use it in a "nearfield" environment (since I am always on my computer). I don't want to setup my speakers like an ordinary setup. It should be placed at the left and right of my computer monitor.

I am using an Asus essence XT soundcard which serves as a pre-amp. I can get a power-amp (tube or whatever) to drive the new speakers. I still plan to use the SVS subs.

Anyone can recommend me an audiophile grade speaker that is designed for nearfield operation? (beside computer monitors)?

Budget for speakers = US$1000ish

Power Amp = around US$1000ish too
It's hard to beat a classic. Those Rogers speakers are really well balanced.

For $1000 you have a lot of choices. It would buy you a pair of ATC SCM 7s, which would best the Rogers just.

Personally I don't like the Genelec speakers. I'm very familiar with them and I hate all of them and a lot. They will sound nothing like the like the Rogers.

I'm familiar with Genelec because MPR have mainly Genelec monitors. They have some Dynaudio, and it is a mercy to be in a Dynaudio room.

I was at a Neumann digital mic demo at MPR. The artists were a well known Twin Cities acoustic jazz quartet. The violinist was complaining vociferously that what he was hearing on play back sounded nothing like the sound of his instrument. The reason was not the microphones, but the Genelec monitors.

So if you liked the Rogers avoid the Genelecs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis