Audioholics Ultimate Subwoofer Shootout Planned

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
The assessment was made by a AH professional tester and reviewer there is nothing more to be add and say...20 pages of what?.....lmao...like i said on avs....How can two professional reviews be SO drastically different?....must be one of the 2 who was high or something??..........
one is light reading and the other is a comprhehensive review. which is which i will let you decide

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
B/C of all the feedback we received on our HSU VTF-15H review both on our forums, AVS Forum and from HSU directly, Paul did a complete battery of measurements and just finished a 20 page test report that I am peering. We will be posting this after HSU has a chance to peer it. To date this is the most comprehensive testing we've ever done on a single subwoofer. I hope it clears up any doubt about our measurement results and assessment of the product. Stay tuned for the results...
So what you are saying is we will be getting a very comprehensive battery of testing on the HSU sub first?
Outstanding!
I'm sure some will be disappointed in the delay in the FW review.
It will be interesting to see how such a thorough review/measurements are received and what the ensuing reader discussion is like (or if it sticks to the first page and conclusion!).

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The assessment was made by a AH professional tester and reviewer there is nothing more to be add and say...20 pages of what?.....lmao...like i said on avs....How can two professional reviews be SO drastically different?....must be one of the 2 who was high or something??..........
Are you paying attention?

AH is responding to criticisms from readers (like you) and you are criticizing them for it!

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
So what you are saying is we will be getting a very comprehensive battery of testing on the HSU sub first?
Outstanding!
It will be interesting to see how such a thorough review/measurements are received and what the ensuing reader discussion is like (or if it sticks to the first page and conclusion!).
Personally..I think putting off the FW review is BS just to appease Hsu and other malcontents over at Avs forum.. please get with it....it's been months already, finish what you started with Audioholics...!:mad:

Last edited:
T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I don't think anyone said that the FW review was delayed... is that just the assumption with the HSU supplemental coming out?

C

clouso

Banned
Are you paying attention?

AH is responding to criticisms from readers (like you) and you are criticizing them for it!
I always admitted my bads here and i agree this thing got out of proportion and i have nothing againts the reviewer..if thats what he thinks thats cool...but now we all must live with it and himself too..i am feeling bad for AH now and Paul.... once again i am asking you a simple question...how can two different professional reviews be so drastically different?..btw i always look at the ''cons'' before........the best move i ever done is to unbox that thing and hook it up to my system..............

C

clouso

Banned
Outstanding!
fisrt FW is less known then HSU ''wich means less people''... and FW owners are very pleased!......are they all stupid??..i am sure those FW sounds awesome and if a diminishing review comes up i will not trust it!........you get it?

J

jhan1000

Audioholic Intern
Fine then...so, I'll ask my question again...time & date for the FW review?
These things take time to write and edit. I can't speak for Paul and Gene, but I imagine they also have their hands full with the 20 page HSU
report. Putting together this report is time consuming, especially with the amount of scrutiny it is likely to receive.

Besides, if I remember correctly, Gene said that the reviews would come out every two weeks. So you got two more days until you can rightfully pitch a fit. :)

C

clouso

Banned
Anyways i am not even going to search for and read for that 20 pages thing....i said it...the review was made by AH and they shouldnt have to do this......what was made is made!....it is like you say something bad to someone and the day after you apologise....it can be good but sometimes bad!....if i was AH i would live with it and thats all...............

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The difference is one review was written by a reviewer/marketing guy while our review was written by a guy that designs subs for a living whom very rarely sings praises for any products unless they are flawlessly engineered like the SVS sub he reviewed. His primary job aside from designing products is to fix mistakes he finds in other peoples products he is contracted for.

S&V and Audioholics are two different types of publications. Our readers/audience tend to be more critical, hence our reviews are more in-depth and critical. Most of our reviewers, myself included are degreed engineers or very tech oriented people.

As a result, Paul goes much more indepth in measurements and analysis but he is also a much more critical reviewer. He also had on hand 3 other subs to directly compare against giving him great perspective on how consumer subs in the $1-2k range should perform.

I sometimes wish I had more reviewers like S&V that tend to put a more positive twist on reviews, and not go as in-depth in analysis to eliminate the drama from disbelief fanboys. It would certainly land us more advertising opportunities if our reviews were all glossy and positive.

The S&V graph to me looks like it has one octave of less resolution. Can't really discern what is going on.

If you don't like the data in our reviews or our advice and conclusions, switch off our site and chose the review that makes you feel warm and fuzzy about your product. There is certainly nothing wrong with that.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I for one am eager to see the new review - not that I found anything wrong with the earlier one. Nothing wrong with going back to a product for a more in depth look and analysis. I am still very interested in the VTF-15, but it's just a bit out of my price range.

C

clouso

Banned
The difference is one review was written by a reviewer/marketing guy while our review was written by a guy that designs subs for a living whom very rarely sings praises for any products unless they are flawlessly engineered like the SVS sub he reviewed. His primary job aside from designing products is to fix mistakes he finds in other peoples products he is contracted for.

S&V and Audioholics are two different types of publications. Our readers/audience tend to be more critical, hence our reviews are more in-depth and critical. Most of our reviewers, myself included are degreed engineers or very tech oriented people.

As a result, Paul goes much more indepth in measurements and analysis but he is also a much more critical reviewer. He also had on hand 3 other subs to directly compare against giving him great perspective on how consumer subs in the $1-2k range should perform.

I sometimes wish I had more reviewers like S&V that tend to put a more positive twist on reviews, and not go as in-depth in analysis to eliminate the drama from disbelief fanboys. It would certainly land us more advertising opportunities if our reviews were all glossy and positive.

The S&V graph to me looks like it has one octave of less resolution. Can't really discern what is going on.

If you don't like the data in our reviews or our advice and conclusions, switch off our site and chose the review that makes you feel warm and fuzzy about your product. There is certainly nothing wrong with that.
I have been looking and searching for other product reviews here on AH such as paradigm speakers and the last review is from 2004.....ppfftt...you didnt ever review the sigs s8 or s6...V3...or i didnt find it???.....in other words if you dont like a funufacturer you wont praise for it............i think american maunufacturers are welcome here thou.........but if they dont advirtise??........:confused:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have been looking and searching for other product reviews here on AH such as paradigm speakers and the last review is from 2004.....ppfftt...you didnt ever review the sigs s8 or s6...V3...or i didnt find it???.....in other words if you dont like a funufacturer you wont praise for it............i think american maunufacturers are welcome here thou.........but if they dont advirtise??........
A majority of the products we review are from companies that don't advertise with us: IE SVS being the most recent, Fluance, Velodyne, etc. Paradigm is one of those companies that only sends us products for review when they also ran advertising with us. Hopefully they will advertise again with us so we can continue reviewing their products in the near future. I quite like their stuff.

This will be your only warning to adhere to our forum rules and stop trolling. thanks.

Matt34

Matt34

I have been looking and searching for other product reviews here on AH such as paradigm speakers and the last review is from 2004.....ppfftt...you didnt ever review the sigs s8 or s6...V3...or i didnt find it???.....in other words if you dont like a funufacturer you wont praise for it............i think american maunufacturers are welcome here thou.........but if they dont advirtise??........:confused:
Stick to the topic please.

If you want to tell Gene how to run his business I'm sure he would be open to suggestions via PM.:rolleyes:

C

clouso

Banned
Stick to the topic please.

If you want to tell Gene how to run his business I'm sure he would be open to suggestions via PM.:rolleyes:
In fact your right!...i better just go and i was not trying to tell him how to run his business....pfftt...but i am so right that i leave in peace!!

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Anyways i am not even going to search for and read for that 20 pages thing....i said it...the review was made by AH and they shouldnt have to do this......what was made is made!....it is like you say something bad to someone and the day after you apologise....it can be good but sometimes bad!....if i was AH i would live with it and thats all...............
Apologizing for what? You and many others wanted the subs tested in different configurations etc... and now they are going more in depth. You should be happy about that. They are not taking anything back from the original review and no where did I see Gene say they had regrets about what was said.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
In fact your right!...i better just go and i was not trying to tell him how to run his business....pfftt...but i am so right that i leave in peace!!
Ask...and you shall receive...total ban!

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
I just want to say thank you for everything this site does review without us having to pay for anything.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I just want to say thank you for everything this site does review without us having to pay for anything.
Whoa there...:p. I own a Yamaha receiver(formerly owned a Denon), monoprrice & BJC cables, Axiom speakers(ok they no longer advertise here..:eek:), just to name a few. So we don't pay directly but we do in some respect....;).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis