Audioholics Loudspeaker Measurement Standard

I

ira

Audiophyte
Please keep in mind that if the multimeter you use is not a "true RMS" meter, it will have material errors in its RMS measurements. I could not tell the exact model number of the DMM you are using, so please make sure you look up its exact specs, and I recommend junking it if it's not a true RMS DMM - no need to include avoidable errors in your reviews.

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic
At one point I was determined to know how my speakers stack up against other speakers in the same price/quality range. I eventually let the idea go. I like how my system sounds after all of the work I put in to placement and tuning. With that said, I've seen enough posts and comments about my speakers and their advertised specs to know that I would most likely be disappointed with the results. I could be wrong and I guess now I'm curious again but I don't want to ask "the question" if I can't live with the answer. What I don't know won't make my system sound any better or worse. But if I do know and the results stink, I'll be grinding my brain thinking about how to build a new system (that I can't afford right now).:rolleyes:
Somehow I know my curiosity is going to get the best of me. :D

E

exlabdriver

Danny:

If your system sounds good to you then don't worry about it. Why care about what other's subjective opinions are? Yours is the only one that counts.

It's best just to enjoy...

TAM

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic
Danny:

If your system sounds good to you then don't worry about it. Why care about what other's subjective opinions are? Yours is the only one that counts.

It's best just to enjoy...

TAM
Agreed. Sometime that curiosity bug gets the better of me though.

Paul womble dung

Paul womble dung

Audiophyte
i guess that some people don't understand why many of the technical technicalities can be very important to some other people.

not everyone only uses or needs good speakers at home to listen to music, or use a home theater/entertainment suite.

some people work with music, either in sound engineering, production, or are themselves musicians.
in which case they need speakers which are suited to them, and need to know WHY those particular speakers are suited to them, so they can recreate this wherever they are (obviously within the context of the average spaces they intend to do it in, even if they intend to use hired gear, it is wise to have even a basic understanding of all of this).

some musicians for example play acoustic instruments, and when they need amplified for some spaces, then generally certain set ups work much better for them.
other musicians may work purely electronically/digitally (like a techno music musician) so certain other set ups may suite them.

and you will find this will be similar for their home,perhaps, in that their domestic set up may reflect their work. although some of us like to leave work at work!

other folk need audio gear for research purposes and may be buying it on behalf of their university department so certain criteria may need to be fulfilled in various qualities.

i was quite impressed by how much detail the written stuff linked to from this page was, despite much of the language as yet being a bit over my head. but liked how it gave me a load of terms to look up and become familiar with.
although the algebra took a few reads through to grasp, it actually was not too difficult and was on a level with secondary education (middle school in U.S.?) and online calculators can help, or any basic calculator that has "scientific" settings on it.
my main interest at the moment is in deciding shapes and proportions with which to build cabinets for a slightly large sound system for mainly outdoor use, so i will need a little maths to work out the best proportions to get the best out of the materials used.

then that whole minefield of resistance, amps, etc etc etc, to get it all clean and efficient (with all of those taken into account and sorted, then even a 1500watt setup can rip the back-side off a much larger setup up, and save money, and weight.)

i think i will enjoy being a member of this forum!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis