Audioholics Banner Cookie

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
In running anti-virus programs on my PC I noticed a cookie which had in its identification “audioholics banner”. I think it probably supports advertising, but I am not sure. It could be from the forums or the audioholics store. In any event it is a good example of why you should clean the cookies out of your system after surfing the web, as good practice.

By the way, I have got some kind of malware on my PC which disables some (or maybe all) functions of my McAfee anti-virus, such as updating virus definitions. Does anyone have any recommendations of how to get rid of it and get McAfee working again? - Preferably without spending more money at one of the pay services. I did that last week. Either it didn’t get removed or it came back into my computer again. Maybe it ran right through McAfee, who knows?

I successfully put the XP update and used the Symantic removal tool for the Conficker/Downadup April 1 virus (no detection) so I don’t think that is the problem.

vizionut

vizionut

Audioholic General
I would try malwarebytes anti-malware program. It is a free download you can find it at cnet.com

ee4hire

ee4hire

Audioholic Intern
I've had good luck with http://free.avg.com/.

A lot of the viruses now seem to block access to the av sites, so if your browser can't find free.avg.com, then you may already be infected with one of those. In that case, you can get avg free from cnet (I had to do that on a badly infected machine I was remotely fixing. Download avg free, run a scan, update avg free and scan again.)

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
My favorite thing to do in that kind of situation is reformat. It is certainly the most effective, but it takes a lot of time and care. I am kind of format-happy though. It is like getting a new computer all over again.

In running anti-virus programs on my PC I noticed a cookie which had in its identification “audioholics banner”. I think it probably supports advertising, but I am not sure. It could be from the forums or the audioholics store. In any event it is a good example of why you should clean the cookies out of your system after surfing the web, as good practice.

By the way, I have got some kind of malware on my PC which disables some (or maybe all) functions of my McAfee anti-virus, such as updating virus definitions. Does anyone have any recommendations of how to get rid of it and get McAfee working again? - Preferably without spending more money at one of the pay services. I did that last week. Either it didn’t get removed or it came back into my computer again. Maybe it ran right through McAfee, who knows?

I successfully put the XP update and used the Symantic removal tool for the Conficker/Downadup April 1 virus (no detection) so I don’t think that is the problem.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Another member was asking some very similar questions a couple of months ago, here's the thread. I'd suggest taking a quick (yes, relative term :)) look at it, particularly my suggestion here. ;)

One easy way to make sure its not the 'Conficker' virus is to take a look at this page. This conficker infection test will show if security or anti-virus related sites are blocked from your browser, indicating there is a decent chance you're infected if they are. It's not fool-proof, but it's a start.

Lastly, I'd suggest another A/V tool than MacAfee, even ClamAV and AVG work much more efficiently in my experience.

Good luck, let us know how you make out... -TD

vizionut

vizionut

Audioholic General
Another member was asking some very similar questions a couple of months ago, here's the thread. I'd suggest taking a quick (yes, relative term :)) look at it, particularly my suggestion here. ;)

One easy way to make sure its not the 'Conficker' virus is to take a look at this page. This conficker infection test will show if security or anti-virus related sites are blocked from your browser, indicating there is a decent chance you're infected if they are. It's not fool-proof, but it's a start.

Lastly, I'd suggest another A/V tool than MacAfee, even ClamAV and AVG work much more efficiently in my experience.

Good luck, let us know how you make out... -TD
you are right about not being able to update your anti-virus programs I was going to say that earlier,:eek: check you computer!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis