AudioEngine P4 & N22

C

crzycuyler

Audioholic Intern
I am considering this setup in place of my AudioEngine A5+. I have two reasons. I feel that the bass is bloated on the A5+, and I want to place my speaker up against the wall. The A5+ is rear ported and the P4 is front ported. Is the P4 the best option for a desktop speaker that can be placed up against the wall? I can get the N22 and the P4 half off.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
The P-4 and N-22 at half price is a nice deal. I have been using the N-22/P-4 as my desktop set up for over a year. That's a heck of a deal and is a really great sounding system.

Edit: The P-4s will work better in a nearfield set up than the A-5s btw.

Last edited:
C

crzycuyler

Audioholic Intern
Did you try plugging the port on the A5+?
I have not tried plugging the port. It's port is a line on the top of the back. Not the easiest to plug. I also don't like the idea much.

The P-4 and N-22 at half price is a nice deal. I have been using the N-22/P-4 as my desktop set up for over a year. That's a heck of a deal and is a really great sounding system.

Edit: The P-4s will work better in a nearfield set up than the A-5s btw.
I feel that the A5s would benefit from more space and wider separation, as well. It looks like I just need to sell the A5s before I can move forward with the N22 and P4.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have not tried plugging the port. It's port is a line on the top of the back. Not the easiest to plug. I also don't like the idea much.
A sock doesn't cost you anything to test it. You will lose some sensitivity and extension, but it will also tighten it up and will not damage the speaker in any way. If anything, it actually makes it harder for the midbass driver to be damaged, though it is not the optimal cabinet alignment for the driver since the speaker was not designed that way.

C

crzycuyler

Audioholic Intern
A sock doesn't cost you anything to test it. You will lose some sensitivity and extension, but it will also tighten it up and will not damage the speaker in any way. If anything, it actually makes it harder for the midbass driver to be damaged, though it is not the optimal cabinet alignment for the driver since the speaker was not designed that way.
I tried it. It tamed the bass... too much, unfortunately. I also don't like altering the tuning of the cabinet knowing it was designed with ports. Unless someone can talk me out of it, the P4 size and its front port is looking pretty appealing. I wouldn't be surprised if its bass digs as deep as the port plugged A5. Does that sound reasonable?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis