AudioEngine D1 24-bit DAC Video Review

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
BSA, I assume yore using pre-outs to your powered JBL's- how about using an older avr with them? (craigslist ) I'm going to use an old denon 2105 (has pre-outs although I don't need them) to run my new emp trek 41B's and Emotiva sub...
Just a thought.
Cheers,Mac

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
BSA, I assume yore using pre-outs to your powered JBL's- how about using an older avr with them? (craigslist ) I'm going to use an old denon 2105 (has pre-outs) to run my new emp trek 41B's and Emotiva sub...
Just a thought.
Cheers,Mac
looks at my desk (click on jbls link in the sig) - i don't have room for any avr... was considering XDA1 to use as monitor stand, but few things deterred me -
a) Known issues with volume control implantation - not end of the world, but it makes it a bit less useful for me (just keep volume at max and control else where)
b) The fact xda-1 - sale price is $199 is final - I got D1 for $150 (new from AE site with coupon you can easily find) and have 30 days in home trial
c) D1 is tiny box approx 3"x3"x1"

I assume using older avr with pre-out will give me same results, plus sub integration which could be nice, but for now D1 gives everything i needed in small package...

Only wish it would cost a bit cheaper and/or had just a few more extras thrown in the box like external power supply, toslink cable etc..

Speaking of external ps I used tiny ac/usb charges which comes with some Blackberry phones

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Crap!! I had a lengthy reply ready to post and f$&@#+ I pad dumped it :0
Here goes the rehash-
1. Do you have room for monitor/ avr shelving above or beside the desk?
2. If you did, it would render the dac issue moot.
3.. I have an xda-1 and the volume issue only seems to be an issue below the 50 setting or below ( pretty low)- if they'd fix that and add a .1 It would be amazing!
4. Can't argue the size factor of the D-1
5. Love those EC-style charger/power supplies
Cheers, Mac

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm very happy to report that as expected D1 helped be to get rid of all and any annoying interference I was getting from using my old internal SB...
Would USB Dac would achieve same result - maybe, But I didn't wanted to take any chances and using optical cable the sounds I hear now are only the ones I was supposed to hear like windows sound, games, music etc...

I fired up few GPU heavy 3d titles like Max Payne 3 and Skyrim and again - nothing but sound from games ...

Only minor weirdness - the volume control on D1 - it seems like it's very sensitive and very quickly moves from silent to very loud... still need to experiment more with it...

Don't ask me how it compares SQ wise vs Creative SB - I can't tell, probably because it's ether very similar or exactly same, other that getting rid of parasitic interference - I had no other expectation or goal.

Overall I'm very happy with results. No sub integration could be viewed as a CON for some, and I do hope that DAC manufacturer start to add this feature, but it wasn't needed for me.

I can not stress enough on how I absolutely can not put full size receiver anywhere near the pc so for me tiny box of D1 was a big win.

For giggles I did manage to find this AVR in local CL
Onkyo TX-SR702 Receiver / amp 7.1 surround sound - it could work, but like I said I just can't fit it anywhere close

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Only minor weirdness - the volume control on D1 - it seems like it's very sensitive and very quickly moves from silent to very loud... still need to experiment more with it...
I noticed this as well. I only run my Airmotiv4's at about half gain because otherwise, when adjusting the D1, the volume goes from nothing to loud as hell with a very tiny move of the knob.

With the Airmotiv4's volume lowered, it works out well. The only time its still an issue is when I'm using earbuds (yes, I need some real headphones) late at night... I just don't have much room for volume adjustment - it's either none or moderate.

One other quirk - if I have the D1 turned off, and I try to start some form of audio (Winamp, WMP, embedded vid in Firefox)... I get no sound just by turning the D1 on. I have to turn it on, then close and restart the audio source to get volume. Maybe it's a driver issue... Either way, I didn't have this issue with the Nuforce uDAC/uDAC2.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I noticed this as well. I only run my Airmotiv4's at about half gain because otherwise, when adjusting the D1, the volume goes from nothing to loud as hell with a very tiny move of the knob.

With the Airmotiv4's volume lowered, it works out well. The only time its still an issue is when I'm using earbuds (yes, I need some real headphones) late at night... I just don't have much room for volume adjustment - it's either none or moderate.

One other quirk - if I have the D1 turned off, and I try to start some form of audio (Winamp, WMP, embedded vid in Firefox)... I get no sound just by turning the D1 on. I have to turn it on, then close and restart the audio source to get volume. Maybe it's a driver issue... Either way, I didn't have this issue with the Nuforce uDAC/uDAC2.
I'd love to compare my jbl's to airmotiv, side to side one day :rolleyes: :wishful thinking:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I noticed the UCA-202 still has some limitations. I fed it with some higher quality tracks and I noticed it rolled the top off just a bit and bass is good, but not spectacular. Good for general audio and using it is just as simple as the D1 sounds like, so I will be curious to hear how it does in the main rig.
btw: I got today very short rca->3.5mm and connecting UCA-202 RCA Line-Out to Fiio E5 3.5mm input using it.
I think the quality from compared to uca-202 headphone out noticeably improved, hard to say how this combo compares to D1 (as far as headphone amp portion work ) but it's plenty for me to relax and listen some very high quality tracks on equipment which purposely is bottom dollar
My total cost for Work Audio:
Original Fostex T20RP - bought used for $10
Behringer UCA-202 - $27
Fiio E5 - $18
Replacement Ear cushions for Fostex: $18
Enjoying near reference sound at work - Priceless :D

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
too bad Outlaw only accept usb as only digital input and not spdif
p.s: HK 990 does look rather interesting, but since it has bass management and autosetup - it's really more of modern avr (minus video switching and tuner) than integrated amp
Actually the usb input on the Outlaw is mediocre; otherwise it is a great receiver.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
long story short, after long consideration I decided to wet my feet in the world of DAC and get myself a D1 dac - yes - you read this right... And the only reason is not attempt to improve SQ, but to get rid of annoying RF interference which become really annoying after I recently replaced my video card

I haven't tested my main setup just yet (just got it today) , but for now tested with my Fostex T20RP headphones (Impedance - 50 ohms, Sensitivity 96dB SPL/mW) - not exactly easy load for typical headphone amp... Behringer uc202 struggled and failed and eventually I had to supplement it with Fiio E5 which was highly reviewed by NwGuy - It made a big difference

D1 took this difference and took it a bit further with a bit more push in the low end and better overall clarity in low and mids - it's not brighter, just a bit more clear - drums sound a bit more punchier and precise ..

That said - I wish D1 had more juice as running with classical tracks (01. London Symphony Orchestra & Bernard Haitink - Beethoven Symphony No.5 - I. Allegro con brio.flac) - running Max volume - I wish I could add a bit more volume, but this is minor as I rarely do critical listening at work anyhow..

Overall for now I'm happy with the purchase and the big test will running D1 on main rig at home.. To be continued....
Wow, BSA broke down and bought a dac that costs more than the $50 Behringer, :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow, BSA broke down and bought a dac that costs more than the $50 Behringer, :D
Yes, I know... Think in these term - BSA Bought $150 external soundcard - much more plausible - right? :D;)

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Yes, I know... Think in these term - BSA Bought $150 external soundcard - much more plausible - right? :D;)
Yeah but you won't be able to ding everyone who posts a question about dacs, ;). This just moved the whole discussion from why would anyone need to spend more than $50 to why would anyone need to spend more than $200!

Btw, I haven't listened to the audioengine dac/headphone amp but one downside to any usb powered headphone amp is that it may have difficulties in driving certain headphones.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah but you won't be able to ding everyone who posts a question about dacs, ;). This just moved the whole discussion from why would anyone need to spend more than $50 to why would anyone need to spend more than $200!

Btw, I haven't listened to the audioengine dac/headphone amp but one downside to any usb powered headphone amp is that it may have difficulties in driving certain headphones.
ps: D1 is not exactly usb powered -as in it's not drawing any power from pc's USB port. I used external ac->dc usb adapter and D1 is rated to power headphones upto 300 Ohm

From D1 Faq:
Will the D1 work with my low-impedance HiFiMAN HE-500 headphones?The D1 includes a headphone amp based around the TI NE5532 low noise opamp. This headphone amp is able to provide low-impedance, high-fidelity audio to a wide range of headphones and supports headphones with impedances from 20 to 300ohms.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis