Audioengine best for work

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Looking to change speakers at my work desk. Right now I have some old JBL Encounter speakers. These have been great. The sub is really good too. Now it's time to upgrade. I am adding my Emotiva XDA-1 DAC and want some powered speakers. Are the Audioengine the best to go with for the money. Don't want to spend to much. budget 400.00

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Looking to change speakers at my work desk. Right now I have some old JBL Encounter speakers. These have been great. The sub is really good too. Now it's time to upgrade. I am adding my Emotiva XDA-1 DAC and want some powered speakers. Are the Audioengine the best to go with for the money. Don't want to spend to much. budget 400.00
Just a few other good options to consider. Not a recommendation b/c I don't have personal experience with them. I've just been eyeballing these for a while myself. I may have blown budget on one of these.

Amazon.com: JBL LSR2325P Two-Way 5" Bi-Amplified Studio Monitor: Musical Instruments

Airmotiv 4s (Pair) | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and monoblock amplifi

PRODUCTS | Vanatoo Powered SpeakersVanatoo Powered Speakers

Desktop Audio | Definitive Technology®

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I like the Audioengines 5+, I think they're very well-executed. They measure pretty well when placed a few feet from the back or side walls too. In fact, that seems to be their weakness for the desktop use case, IMO. They seem optimized for placement in a classic audiophile system as the main speakers. Placed on a large desktop a few inches from the back wall I measured a 13db+ spike centered at 120Hz, which was less than 3db when the speakers were moved to the front of the 3' deep desktop, the drivers slightly overhanging the edge. As I documented in this thread: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/90509-boom.html#post1031139, I fixed the spike with EQ software, but clearly the 5+ doesn't appreciate being very near a back wall (and two feet from a room corner on the left side).

If your desk faces out into your office, so the 5+ doesn't have a wall behind them, they might be just about perfect. They also produce a surprising amount of bass, even out in a room. For some reason I just never expected a speaker that small to be capable of 40Hz. Sometimes I'll have an action movie playing and some bass impact will startle me, because I'm not expecting any audible deep bass.

I also admit I liked how the 5+ look in white. It goes well with an iMac. :)

IMO, pro studio near-field monitors, like the JBL LSRs or the Mackies sound better without equalization than the 5+ on a desktop, because I suspect they are equalized by design to sound good at the end of a mixer board, but both are far more expensive, especially the JBL at over $1500.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Personally vouch for LSR2325p - A5+ are nice toys, but pair of LSR2325p can achieve extension down to 43hz and continuous SPL of 107db at 1m (peak 118db)
These are pro tools throught and through, despite smaller size.

I played Avatar, shuttle landing scene and my room was mildly shacking, only time I wished they had better bass was with 1812's Cannot shots, but it's an extreme example

IMO, pro studio near-field monitors, like the JBL LSRs or the Mackies sound better without equalization than the 5+ on a desktop, because I suspect they are equalized by design to sound good at the end of a mixer board, but both are far more expensive, especially the JBL at over $1500.
LSR2325 at link above is priced at $169 each or $338 for the pair. just a tad below $1500 :p;):D

Last edited by a moderator:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
The mackies are nice but definitely way over his budget :D

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
alphaiii liked the good bass response of the Emotiva 4 - I would keep them on a short list.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Or... I could get some Andrew Jones Pioneer book shelves and power them with an Emotiva Mini X..
Doesn't look like they go as low however at 55hz.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Or... I could get some Andrew Jones Pioneer book shelves and power them with an Emotiva Mini X..
Doesn't look like they go as low however at 55hz.
The Pioneer will start rolling off around 65 hz - and not much after 59 hz

If going with a budget friendly bookshelf and amp >> I would look at the
Cambridge S30 - however, no guarantee that you will love it at near-field.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The Pioneer will start rolling off around 65 hz - and not much after 59 hz

If going with a budget friendly bookshelf and amp >> I would look at the
Cambridge S30 - however, no guarantee that you will love it at near-field.
He can always get a Dayton 800/1000 sub to keep up with the low end on the Pio. :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
He can always get a Dayton 800/1000 sub to keep up with the low end on the Pio. :)
May be for you.:)

The only budget sub other than the HSU STF-2 that I would choose,
is the Mordaunt Short Aviano 7

However, Dayton does have some fans

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis