T

Twexcom

Audioholic
Hello.

I was told that the Audioengine A2 speaker system is simply superb and that I should sell all of my sound equipment to buy them.

They have 2.75 inch woofers. Do you think that they are really worth that much money?

Shipping and everything else would end up costing me a total of $290. Which I may not be able to raise enough for.

Could someone please advise me?

Also, if they are available refurbished anywhere, please tell me.

Thank you.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Since it was me specifically who told you to get the A2s I will go into more detail. (All measurements are linked via this article.)

First off frequency response:

As you can see these speakers are extremely linear with a bump on the low end. This bump is common in smaller bookshelves to add what is perceived as a more full bass response.

Off axis response (lateral then vertical):

As you can see the lateral off axis response is not superb, but I was recommending them in a near field setting as computer speakers which means you will only need a +/- 10 degree window laterally and less vertically. Both of these responses are sufficient for the suggested application. I will point out that their off axis response is still fairly good considering the price range - you can do far worse for more.

Accelerometer data:

This is a very clean measurement. Overall there is virtually no resonance in the midrange minus one small band as indicated in the article. I doubt any of it would be within your audible threshold.

The cumulative spectral-decay:

Another very clean measurement - near textbook, but not quite there. This is because of the delayed decay in the 500-1khz range. Otherwise it is clear there will be an uncolored presentation.

To be honest I have seen thousand dollar computer speakers that measure worse than this. Simply put for $300 these computer speakers are a steal.

For a pretty decent subjective review check out this podcast. I also asked him to drop by and give his opinion on the speakers and it looks like he is so expect a reply soon :).

If you would like further explanation on anything I mentioned feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Hello.

I was told that the Audioengine A2 speaker system is simply superb and that I should sell all of my sound equipment to buy them.
I'm the guy on the other end of that podcast that Andrew linked. I'm also the proud owner of a pair of A2s (which are connected to my partner's computer, making 2nd-hand listening of American Hi-fi and Kelly Clarkson slightly more tolerable).

I'll give you my bottom line: If you are looking at self-powered speakers for nearfield listening, and favor musical over totally flat, and only have $200-300 to spend, I'd get the A2 without hesitation.

Email me your specific questions at realhtinfo@gmail.com, or post them here, and I will be happy to answer them.

Don't know where you're at, but if by chance you happen to be in the Hudson Valley, contact me, and you can stop by to listen to them.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
No, they don't, so much like life, you will need to be careful where you put your fingers.

Seriously though, it hasn't been a problem for me, but I don't have pets or kids.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis