Audio setup question (sat -> tv & ht? -yup newbie ques)

D

dqu

Audiophyte
Help I'm stuck!
I'm a complete newbie to this field so I apologize in advance.

I have a simple setup as follows:
Sony 55 rear proj KP-51WS510, Sony HTIB DAV-FR1, plus my directtv tivo. I'm in the middle of setting these up along with the rest of my components when I became puzzled when it came down to my audio connections.

I connected the audio from the sat via digital optic to the receiver. Now is it ok to have another audio out from the sat go to my TV via rca? Will it effect audio levels ?

Also can anyone point me to a good digital optic switcher/splitter?, unfortunately my receiver has only one dig input :( and I would like to connect my game consoles to it as well.

Thank for your help!

S

sherchlojo

Audioholic Intern
I think you will be OK running the RCA audio to your TV and the optical audio to your receiver. You are not splitting the sound as such. The optical audio out is digital and the RCA audio out is analog. That is the way I've got my system set up and I've not noticed any loss in sound. I've got a digital cable box instead of a sat receiver, but I believe the connections are similar.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Yep, you should be ok. There would only be an issue if the sat box could be set to use only a single ouput, which i doubt. On my cable box, all outputs (digital and analog) are enabled simultaneously and what you propose would work just fine. I assume you want to do this so you can watch sat on the tv without turning on the receiver - correct?

Lots of places sell optical splitters. Radio Shack has a few.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis