Audio quest HDMI cable issues.

How does this effect their claims on their inter connect cables?

• yes it does

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • no it does not

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
D

Duane Gosa

Audiophyte
Audio Quest interconnects are they what they claim they are and do? Or should we be somewhat leary of them. Some of those are not cheap.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The search function is your best friend for this topic.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Your question makes no sense.

Yes, they are cables and no, it can't be proven they do what they promise.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Cables are cables. As long as they conduct the electric current, that is all they need to do and all they can do. Don't waste money on expensive cables.

M

MWD

Audiophyte
At the risk of insulting some, if any of the cable non-believers are religious, believe in vitamins, go regularly to a chiropractor, wear a band on your wrist for seasickness, believe in ghosts, etc, your claims about cables not making a difference are meaningless to me. I'm not a cable guy, but I do require consistency from people regarding their opinions.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
At the risk of insulting some, if any of the cable non-believers are religious, believe in vitamins, go regularly to a chiropractor, wear a band on your wrist for seasickness, believe in ghosts, etc, your claims about cables not making a difference are meaningless to me. I'm not a cable guy, but I do require consistency from people regarding their opinions.
I'm perfectly consistent. I am not religious, I do not go to a chiropracter, I don't take vitamins, I don't believe in ghosts, I don't wear bands. Perhaps you could point out my inconsistencies.

But after conducting bias controlled comparisons I can tell you that properly made cables do not have a "sound" and do not affect the sound they transmit in any way. The improperly made ones would include cables with little filter boxes attached to them and those with their conductors wrapped tightly in an inductor. Those with high capacitance can rarely but sometimes affect the signals they transmit. Those improperly made cables act as equalizers and I would suggest that they aren't very good equalizers because they aren't adjustable or defeatable. The only improperly made ones that I have ever encountered all come from the high end audio industry.

High end audio wire is truly snake oil. The more you spend on cables the closer you get to incompetently made cables. What you require, by the way, is immaterial to me. I simply speak the truth.

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
There are numerous brands of very good quality HDMI cables that will be USD 10.00 or less at 2 meters. Said brands also have versions that perform a-ok if needing longer runs.

All the money you end up not throwing towards bogus cables can then either be saved, or spent on meaningful things such as higher quality speakers.

M

MWD

Audiophyte
I'm perfectly consistent. I am not religious, I do not go to a chiropracter, I don't take vitamins, I don't believe in ghosts, I don't wear bands. Perhaps you could point out my inconsistencies.

But after conducting bias controlled comparisons I can tell you that properly made cables do not have a "sound" and do not affect the sound they transmit in any way. The improperly made ones would include cables with little filter boxes attached to them and those with their conductors wrapped tightly in an inductor. Those with high capacitance can rarely but sometimes affect the signals they transmit. Those improperly made cables act as equalizers and I would suggest that they aren't very good equalizers because they aren't adjustable or defeatable. The only improperly made ones that I have ever encountered all come from the high end audio industry.

High end audio wire is truly snake oil. The more you spend on cables the closer you get to incompetently made cables. What you require, by the way, is immaterial to me. I simply speak the truth.
Sounds like we'd get along great. As I said I am not a cable guy. Speakers - room acoustics, pre-amp, is where I think you can make the most significant improvements. I do think cables can act minimally as a tone control, but I'd rather address this with the actual speakers. I do find it annoying when people slam cable guys and then start taking about the spectacular effects of echinacea. You know what I mean.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Most of them rely on faith but cable claims can be backed up by scientific proof. Seen any? And I don't mean just subjective claims.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I am not sure why you included vitamins. Some people need extra vitamins not obtained in their diet, get enough sun to maintain the needed vitamin D, etc.
Now, I would have seen a sense including homeopathics, or psychics.
There are also religious people who do accept science in their lives in audio matters but not when it comes to their belief of the supernatural.
In essence, some of the above is a broad brush approach.

M

MWD

Audiophyte
Most of them rely on faith but cable claims can be backed up by scientific proof. Seen any? And I don't mean just subjective claims.
I'm not trying to be contrary but there is adequate proof for speaker wire gauge, shielding, geometry, etc. I know that you're assuming the basics are covered, though. That being said, nothing is going to stop folks from buying this stuff. You may as well stand outside of a 7/11 explaining the math to people going into buy lottery tickets. I'm not sure you'd be too successful at that either.

M

MWD

Audiophyte
I am not sure why you included vitamins. Some people need extra vitamins not obtained in their diet, get enough sun to maintain the needed vitamin D, etc.
Now, I would have seen a sense including homeopathics, or psychics.
There are also religious people who do accept science in their lives in audio matters but not when it comes to their belief of the supernatural.
In essence, some of the above is a broad brush approach.
Agreed.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not trying to be contrary but there is adequate proof for speaker wire gauge, shielding, geometry, etc. I know that you're assuming the basics are covered, though. That being said, nothing is going to stop folks from buying this stuff. You may as well stand outside of a 7/11 explaining the math to people going into buy lottery tickets. I'm not sure you'd be too successful at that either.
And the examples you mention can be and have been scientifically proven.

But, you're right. Some people will buy anything they think/hope will improve their sound.

There's a lot of money to be made here. http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina5.htm

( I find the blue and green meanies particularly amusing. That, and the teleportation tweak)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I have a pair of the less-expensive Audioquest interconnects and one failed. Unscrewing the RCA plug assembly on both ends, I found one of the two wires had broken the solder connection at the plug on one end. I will note that the better sound out of those cables when they were new and working right...was all in my head that had spent good hard-earned money on "up level" cables. I've never had the cheap interconnects that come in the box with a CD player, tape deck or other device fail in any way and they sound fine.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis