E

EddieG

Audioholic
When I go blu-ray I will have to use 6 channel audio. Now, this being analog I am curious as to what difference the human ear would hear between this and if I had a receiver that processed audi via HDMI.

Thanks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The difference will be the volume levels of some movies. The quality should be the same.

E

EddieG

Audioholic
The difference will be the volume levels of some movies. The quality should be the same.
Thanks. Follow up question: Is there a difference in what the human ear can hear between digital coax cable and RCA cable?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks. Follow up question: Is there a difference in what the human ear can hear between digital coax cable and RCA cable?
That question is very confusing.

Digital coaxial cables are RCA cables - they are the same.

If you mean the difference between what a digital coax cable can carry vs. an analog RCA cable, then the answer is 'maybe'.

If you have a HD audio source, then digital coaxial may not be able to carry the full HD audio stream. But, the player may be able to decode the HD audio stream and output it over analog RCA cables. So, with the RCA analog cables you get better audio vs. digital coaxial.

On the other hand, with the same audio source (DVD), you would get the same sound, and potentially the digital connection would be better due to avoiding a generational loss between the player and receiver.

Likewise, for HD audio, you can use HDMI which can carry the full HD audio signal as bitstream or as a PCM audio stream.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When I was doing all Analog 5.1 Connections for TrueHD & DTS-MA, I was actually using all Digital Coaxial Cables.

So personally, I would use "digital" coaxial for both Analog and Digital. However, I would not use "analog" coaxial for Digital connection.:D

I don't know if I could hear the difference, but it would just bother me too much if I use an "analog" RCA cable as a "digital" coaxial connection.

E

EddieG

Audioholic
When I was doing all Analog 5.1 Connections for TrueHD & DTS-MA, I was actually using all Digital Coaxial Cables.

So personally, I would use "digital" coaxial for both Analog and Digital. However, I would not use "analog" coaxial for Digital connection.:D

I don't know if I could hear the difference, but it would just bother me too much if I use an "analog" RCA cable as a "digital" coaxial connection.
Thanks...now last question. I'm confused about digital coax and component cables (used for component video). Are they the same, just used for different things? For my sub-woofer I am using a component video cable that I have no need for. Should I get a digital coax instead?

Thanks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks...now last question. I'm confused about digital coax and component cables (used for component video). Are they the same, just used for different things? For my sub-woofer I am using a component video cable that I have no need for. Should I get a digital coax instead?

Thanks!
They are just RCA-type (coaxial) cables. Using a "component" video cable is just as good as using a "digital" coaxial cable.

"Component" video cables are basically 3 color-coded analog cables .:D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord

Thanks!
Oh my god... shoot me!

THESE CABLES ARE EXACTLY THE SAME!

See this cable...
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm

It's the EXACT SAME as this cable...
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/composite/index.htm

Except on is orange the other is yellow.

Those are single version of the EXACT SAME...
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

Alright, a slightly higher grade coax is used for the audio for shielding, but the 1694A Belden cable is freely recommended as well.

How about component video?

Once again: EXACT SAME!
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/component/index.htm

These cables are all interchangable with one another. Run out of component video cables? Use a subwoofer cable, and two 'digital' audio cables. Run out of composite video cables? Use one side of a stereo analog audio cable. Run out of RGBHV cables? Use 5 composite cables!

The key is using a quality cable and realizing that they are almost all identical. The concept of a 'digital specific' cable is marketing at its finest and should not be confused at all with reality.

It's very important to realize that from a good company, you should expect an analog audio cable to be of HIGHER quality than a digital audio cable. As is shown on Blue Jeans cable - the analog audio cables are about $19 per piece (a pair for 38 bucks) at 6 feet, while the digital audio cable is $15 for 6 feet.

So you are getting doubly played over if you pay 'more' for digital. Digital is far less open to interference and passes a signal far more easily, so a lower quality (overall) cable can be used. Yet, at the end of the day, you are very unlikely to hear a difference between almost any decently built 75 ohm cable with RCA ends on them.

For your subwoofer - a decent ANALOG audio cable or ANALOG video cable is likely a far better choice than a digital cable since it may (MAY!) have more shielding on it to protect the analog signal from interference.

The "HIGH QUALITY" Monoprice cables are a very strong recommendation for your consideration:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236

6 feet of RG6 for $3.20 - 25' for $6.16... call it a day.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord

Hopefully you understand with my description above why this is actually backwards from what you should be doing. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis