Audio Pass Through With Video?

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
I believe pass through is the term I'm looking for. I wanted to know if it's possible to run the audio from my cable box through my receiver to my tv, without having my receiver on. I can run picture no problem, but the audio doesn't carry through..

One of my friends says I should plug my hdmi devices into my tv, then run optical out from the tv to the receiver.. That's how he has it, but I feel like there's a reason for having all the inputs on the back of the receiver..

I'm using the Onkyo HT-S6300 set which I believe has the R680 receiver. I couldn't find anything about it in the manual. Seems strange that I would be able to pass through video but not audio also

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I'm assuming you want a casual listening connection or just use the TV speakers. Why not take an RCA cable from the cable box to the TV?

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Yeah, it's for night time. Right now I'm turning the receiver all the way down and using just the tv speakers. Don't see any reason to have the receiver on creating heat though.

I tried to see if there was an option to switch either the audio input of the tv or the output of the cable box but I couldn't find anything in their menus. I guess I could try it and find out if it automatically switches. Need to pick up some RCA cables as I just gave away my last set :rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis