Audio cutting out with a Harman Kardon SB 16

Z

zurx

Audiophyte
Hello everyone! I'm new here, and it looks like I can get some help here.

The other day I won a raffle at my work and got a Harman Kardon SB16 soundbar and subwoofer. I've got it all set up and LOVE it, but I'm having a seriously annoying problem with it. I'll describe my set up first, then the problem.

I have several devices connected to my TV via RCA (VHS player, DVD player, Wii). My TV then has one RCA output. I have the TV's RCA output going directly to the soundbar. That's it - a very simply setup.

So once I turn the soundbar on, exactly 5 minutes afterward it will stop playing audio. It's not losing power or even changing the source. Nothing changes, the audio just drops out. I've done all kinds of troubleshooting with this... with sub off, with surround off, I've tried waiting a few minutes and then cycling through the source to go back to the RCA input - nothing makes any difference. In exactly 5 minutes the audio stops. I've plugged the soundbar directly into its own outlet and bypassed the TV entirely by plugging the device's RCA directly to the soundbar. Nothing I've tried is making a difference, and I'm at a loss at this point. I can't understand what could be the problem. I hope someone here is able to help. This makes watching anything seriously annoying.

When the sound drops out, to get it back I have to either power the bar off and back on, or I cycle through the source options until it comes back to the RCA input (the source indicator light is white when this is selected. When the audio drops out, the light remains white.)

Any help is seriously appreciated. Thanks everyone!!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Start by isolating the problem.

Disconnect the TV from the soumd bar and then plug in one lonely analog source (like a CD/DVD player, MP3 player or an Ipod) into the sound bars analog input and play it for a while. If it still happens then, it's an internal problem with the sound bar and it may require servicing.

If not, I'm sure sharper minds will chime in.

Z

zurx

Audiophyte
That's a great idea, and actually one of the first things I did. I watch Netflix on my Wii a lot, so I plugged the Wii's RCA audio inputs directly into the soundbar, and left the video to the TV so I could see when there should be audio. It still cut out after exactly 5 minutes - I timed it several times.

Looks like I'll have to register it online and file a warranty claim. Just kinda sucks... it was performing like this right out of the box. I only got it 2 days ago.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still waiting to hear back from their tech support.

M

mstockma

Audiophyte
Zurx, did you ever got a solution to your problem. My SB16 had been working like a charm for 5 years, and then your exact problem happened to me!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That's a great idea, and actually one of the first things I did. I watch Netflix on my Wii a lot, so I plugged the Wii's RCA audio inputs directly into the soundbar, and left the video to the TV so I could see when there should be audio. It still cut out after exactly 5 minutes - I timed it several times.

Looks like I'll have to register it online and file a warranty claim. Just kinda sucks... it was performing like this right out of the box. I only got it 2 days ago.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still waiting to hear back from their tech support.
Zurx, did you ever got a solution to your problem. My SB16 had been working like a charm for 5 years, and then your exact problem happened to me!
I doubt it. I suspect those units have a serious design flaw. I think the unit needs dropping off at the nearest recycling center.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis