S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
How reliable is this advice on the paradigm website?
(Unable to post link as am new.) Goggle - "paradigm all about sound" & go to the corresponding paradigm web page. It has a small list of topics on the right related to sound like distortion, coloration, ect.

Seems sensible & reliable at first glance, although brief. A very generic approach as to what a listener shd watch out for, irrespective of which speaker brand one is looking out for (Unsure what is missing in that list though :)).

Have a lot of reading to do. I found some really useful posts in the sticky links in this forum.
Will read the sticky links here next :)

If someone has any useful links about how things work, what to look out for, acoustics, ect... for a beginner/advanced, then pls do share. I know my questions will pop up as I read more, still I might miss out something in that process.

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
Hi Sylar,
Welcome...
Paradigm is a reputable brand.
Like all brands fans will support them and non-fans will nay say them.
Do some "searches" on this forum and you will find more info than you can wave a stick at.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Did you read the basics advice thread here?

Yes, the basics are the basics, and apply to whatever gear you have.

S

Sylar

Full Audioholic
Did you read the basics advice thread here?

Yes, the basics are the basics, and apply to whatever gear you have.
I had a quick look at the sticky threads there before I posted. They had topics related to setting up once you have a system, hence posted it first.

I then searched around and bumped into...
10 Biggest Mistakes in Loudspeaker Shopping.

I must admit, I was initially attracted by bose (small, compact & of course 'you hear about it'). My instinct to learn how things work, is why I landed up online. A little reading & few questions changed things rapidly.

Yet, even after reading the above article, there is this uncontrollable inclination to buy what is 'suggested', what looks good, and this even before I am yet to audition any speakers or receivers. (and I don't get sucked by marketing that easily!)

I have been wondering why this inclination, surely am not the first. :)

I have decided to put my shopping on hold for a while, read as much as possible first.

Maybe we could have the link to the '10 biggest mistakes..', in the sticky here.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Welcome Sylar.

The best thing may be to visit some higher-end retailers in your area. Audition some decent speakers in some decent rooms. Some Mfr. offer 30 day trials on equipment. Axiom is one that comes to mind. Mind you I don't consider myself an Axiom fan boy, but I've always like there products and they have given me great service. In addition to Axiom, Klipsch, and B&W make some good stuff as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis