audigy 2 EAX parametric eq settings

B

bmxfelon420

Enthusiast
I just figured out that in the menu of my audigy 2 (softmod) there is a parametric eq setting. My freind sent me his settings, and they are pretty good, but they are tailored for heavy metal, and i was wondering how i know what to change it to, or what would be good baseline settings to try. I have Klipsch promedia 2.1's. Any help would be appreciated. I can give you the current eq setting that seems to sound pretty good if it would help.

plhart

Audioholic
Buy the Rives test CD and the analog Radio Shack SPL meter. Holding the meter at your listening position play the pink noise bands back over your system while you plot dB vs frequency. You should see one area in the low frequency response which is too peaked and therefore masking the other bass frequencies around it. This is where you put the parametric, at that peak. Adjust the width of the peak (whether it's broad or narrow) and subtract out, in dB, the height of the boost.

B

bmxfelon420

Enthusiast
so when i do it, should i put it at a moderate volume? And on this cd, are there different frequency ranges that each track has? Im new at calibrating stuff to sound awesome, and the eq setting i have was for a different set of speakers. I can pick up that meter next week, and ill see if they have the cd there.

plhart

Audioholic
the Rives CD is only available direct from the Rives site. If memory serves I think I had it at my door in only two days! Yes, the test CD has a series of specific frequencies. You'll want to use all those below around 120Hz to draw your curve. Set your level for 75dB at you listening position.

B

bmxfelon420

Enthusiast
so basically, im trying to flatten the curves out? What about the dips?

plhart

Audioholic
Yes, you're shooting for a flat response, so you attenuate the biggest peak. Leave the dips alone. You'll find that when you pull down the peak the dip will probably come up a bit too. Usually the area under the sub or woofer frequency response curve will tend to equalize or rebalance itself, sort like pressing a jello blob. The blob of jello stays the same, so you push one place and it moves in another. It always tries to find the easier balance.

B

bmxfelon420

Enthusiast
ok, ill buy a meter and test it out. I cant wait to do this with my home theater. I know that particularly with the sub, i have a peak somewhere because certain beats dont sound as clear as others, this should help.

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
It's a little more involved, but I highly recommend some sort of RTA for this sort of stuff. It's far easier and more accurate than the SPL/Test disc method. (And RTAs frequently feature SPL meters as well for speaker setup)

Even a group buy with your local audiophile buds or club would be worth it, but I consider it an invaluable tool for room and gear setup.

B

bmxfelon420

Enthusiast
at the risk of sounding like a total noob, may i ask exactly what a rta is, and where i would get one? I got time to get this stuff now, i turned on my speakers, one channel quit working and than all the fuses on it blew, i took it apart and i got one fried resistor that i can see, and a burn mark on the back plate where something else burned. :(

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
RTA = Real Time Analyzer.

What this device does is measure the actual sound from your source, out your speakers, in your room. It's invaluable for setting up your system for the first time or anytime you change something.

This is a software based RTA:

http://www.trueaudio.com/

This sells for $79.

There are also standalone hardware solutions from Rane, Behringer, etc. These sell for about $350-900.

You'll also need a calibrated mic... the Behringer ECM-8000 is a great buy at about $50-60.

In my opinion, this is the *only* way to get your system set up right and in well worth the money. I've seen high dollar systems that were set up all wrong sound 100% better after they've been set up correctly. And it's amazing what even a mid-level system can sound like when it's been tweaked.

B

bmxfelon420

Enthusiast
so then what does it do, play its own set of tones and records them? Than do i change the eq and retest, trying to get a flat curve? Edit: i just downloaded it, what exactly do i do? Could i use a cheap microphone just to try it out on my headphones?

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
It has a pink noise generator for sound. This is far better for broad band analysis than test tones or warble tones. The pink noise will be full spectrum from 20Hz - 20kHz. (Some RTAs may be slightly different)

The readout is in real time. So you can position the mic in your listening position, place the computer or RTA readout where you can see it, and you can play with EQ, speaker placement, acoustic treatments, earplugs, stuffed animals, or whatever you want and see on the screen *exactly* what the change is, if any. This is why it's called real time. There's no printing charts and comparing notes. It's very easy. The goal is to get the frequency reponse as flat as possible within the ability of your speakers and amp to produce it.

There is also a SPL (sound pressure level) meter for setting levels between speakers so that they are identical.

B

bmxfelon420

Enthusiast
wow, it sounds a bunch better just making an eq to flatten the output curve, i have to dig out my mic and do it better.

B

bmxfelon420

Enthusiast
i messed with it for awhile, and here is a snapshot from listening to some rap, and the bottom one is with white noise. This was tuned using my cheap microphone i bought for gaming. I will buy a good one soon for my speakers.

Attachments

scorz

Audiophyte
bmxfelon420 said:
I just figured out that in the menu of my audigy 2 (softmod) there is a parametric eq setting. My freind sent me his settings, and they are pretty good, but they are tailored for heavy metal, and i was wondering how i know what to change it to, or what would be good baseline settings to try. I have Klipsch promedia 2.1's. Any help would be appreciated. I can give you the current eq setting that seems to sound pretty good if it would help.
Hey could you send me those heavy metal settings for the parametric eq,
thanks scorz@adelphia.net

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis