M

McR

Enthusiast
I'm thinking of building a down firing sub in the attic,just had the central air upgraded & the old intake is not being used anymore. Instead of closing up the vent 20''x 20'' i was thinking of building a box & loading it with a 18'' RCF 1000 watt sub. This would make the wife happy & freeing up space .Does anyone have any exp with this? Also is a box really needed, as i could use the attic for the box?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Last edited:
M

McR

Enthusiast
Thanks. Thats what i was thinking,seeing as the vent & cover are already there. Should be an easy install. Looks like a win ,win too me. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
The possible problem I see from an attic IB subwoofer is losing too much heat through the woofer in the winter. If it is an 18" driver, it will be at least an 18" hole in your insulation between the room and the attic. And if it is two 18" drivers, it will be two such holes in the insulation, etc.

Also, the driver will be exposed to the temperature fluctuations in the attic, so if you are in a climate that gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter, the woofer had better be able to take those changes in temperature.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The possible problem I see from an attic IB subwoofer is losing too much heat through the woofer in the winter. If it is an 18" driver, it will be at least an 18" hole in your insulation between the room and the attic. And if it is two 18" drivers, it will be two such holes in the insulation, etc.

Also, the driver will be exposed to the temperature fluctuations in the attic, so if you are in a climate that gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter, the woofer had better be able to take those changes in temperature.
Yeah, this is a factor unfortunately. You can build it with a box too, as shown in the links above. Then you can insulate around that box.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
You don't need a box technically. Look up Infinite Baffle subs.

My buddy has an 18" driver in his wall using an outside storage room as the rear air space. On the inside, he covered it with a heater vent cover so you can't even tell it is there except for the wires going to the wall from the amp. Sounds great and takes up no living room space.
What can you hear on the outside of the house? How does it affect the neighbors?

M

McR

Enthusiast
No neighbors :) & I'm sure the attic will be critter free. I do see the need to build an insulated box though. Thanks again guys.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis