Atmos Speaker Placement?

B

Bostonhoff

Audiophyte
So looking to install 4 Atmos speakers. I have decided to go with the Focal 300 ICA6. The current setup is 5.2 and wanting 5.2.4. I have Focal Aria 936 fronts, 900 center, 906 sides, and two SVS PB subs. Running Denon x3800h avr and Buckeye Purifi 3ch amp for front three.

Everything I have read or watched talks about "angles" being the make or break with Atmos. I decided to go with the ICA6 because the research I have done suggests that an angled speaker directed at the MLP provides the best atmos experience. I am 100% with in-ceiling speakers as this is not a dedicated theatre room.

Questions:
1. In the Dolby PDF top view, it shows the front L & R speakers placed at 22-30* from MLP. Obviously, that will bring them together or spread them based on room size. Do the atmos speakers need to also be within the same angle of the MLP when looking from the top? I know they are not in line per the picture as I have gotten that out of my research. Just trying to figure out if they need to be within the 22-30* angle from MLP.

2. In the Dolby PDF side view, it shows the front atmos at 30-55* with an optimum of 45* and the rear atmos 125-150* with an optimum of 135*. Does the 35* angle of the Focal ICA6 affect this placement?

3. Based on questions 1 & 2, assuming the front Atmos follows the same degree requirements as the front speakers, I would then be rotating or toeing in the front Atmos speakers to point at the MLP. Would this then bring the speakers closer to the MLP since turning them in would change the side angle?

I appreciate any and all input as I work through this. I only want to put holes in my ceiling once:) Every picture or diagram I look at is two-dimensional. To me, this is a three-dimensional problem and then the issue with the speaker being angled confuses me even more.

I know there is a ton of information out there to include this site and unfortunately, that is also part of the problem.

Thanks again!!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep. There are mountains of info to rummage through. In short. No, the overhead speakers don’t follow the same angles, despite the diagram showing them in line. 45° in front of, and behind the MLPis what you want. Also, 45°side to side. Of course there is a range, and don’t worry if you can’t hit the angles exactly. Atmos is surprisingly forgiving.

B

Bostonhoff

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply. So 45* towards the front and 45* to the side. That raises another question.

I have attached a drawing for simplicity of using a 20’ x 20’ room with 8’ ceilings. Sorry I for the sketch as I don’t know how to do it on a computer.

based on my sketch of having the MLP 11’ from the front wall, the Atmos speakers would be 6’ in from the front and 5’ in from the side. So on the sketch of the top view, is it more of where those two points intersect A or the radius of the two B? At that point do I just turn the 35* speakers towards the MLP?

thanks!!!!
IMG_2398.jpeg

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It would go in A. Basically measure from seated ear height to ceiling. Then go that distance fore and aft. Then straight line across the ceiling.

And yeah, I’d swivel them to hit the MLP

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It would go in A. Basically measure from seated ear height to ceiling. Then go that distance fore and aft. Then straight line across the ceiling.

And yeah, I’d swivel them to hit the MLP
There’s a great video that @Danzilla31 shared with me. You don’t have to hit the angles so hard and fast, but getting close is appropriate. Hopefully he’ll remember the one he posted about setting up Atmos Speakers and can post it again.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There’s a great video that @Danzilla31 shared with me. You don’t have to hit the angles so hard and fast, but getting close is appropriate. Hopefully he’ll remember the one he posted about setting up Atmos Speakers and can post it again.
Oop.
Wrong post that I replied to. Info is still pertinent for OP. :)

B

Bostonhoff

Audiophyte
Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 15.35.28.jpeg.png

On the top of this diagram, what does the “0.5 to 0.7 x W” mean?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
View attachment 66327
On the top of this diagram, what does the “0.5 to 0.7 x W” mean?
It means they’d be installed from .5 to .7 width of the widest speakers. Usually the surrounds. So in my room of 16’ wide, the width of my tops could be between 8’ and 11.5’ apart. As ryan mentioned, you don’t have to hit the angles exactly.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No worries. Been crazy busy today. Will try to elaborate more on future posts. lol

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The installer that did this video I mentioned liked 35° better than others.

the biggest part is making certain that the speakers are aimed at the MLP. Not just sort of, but you want that full on-axis impact of the Speakers.

B

Bostonhoff

Audiophyte
The one thing I am struggling with is the driver is angled at 35*. Seems like it needs to be set at 35* in order for it to directly face the MLP.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It's important to remember that even if you can't get these angles right it's ok.

Especially retrofitting a room it's not always possible to go perfectly to spec. The point is to get as close to those angles as you realistically can if you need to compromise

The name of the game is separation and angles! :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Also if you watch you notice you have a lot of room in the tolerance window. 60 degrees is a lot closer to you then the 45

Yes their is a ideal spot but it can still sound good outside of this even outside of the windows as long as it's not too crazy such as maybe you need to go 66 degrees etc. it is what it is its not the end of the world if your placement is outside these angles to a certain degree

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The one thing I am struggling with is the driver is angled at 35*. Seems like it needs to be set at 35* in order for it to directly face the MLP.
I have these speakers as my in ceilings they have an angle built in

Focal 300 ICLCR 5
g0913HC5LCR-F (1).jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
They have a 45 degree angle built in and a movable midrange and tweeter to position then directly at the main listening position.

As mentioned you want ththem to be on axis as much as you can but if you can't it's not the end of the world. It's just preferable

Those are expensive but Focal offers a lower cost version

And Monoprice offers a very inexpensive version that is great

They are BIG and I had to cut into a stud in a place or 2 to get them to work so take notice

I've always preferred like the SVS elevations their are a lot of companies that offer them now and you can mount them onto your ceiling any place you want without having to cut giant holes out. The

RBH has those now and I'd have totally gone with those if they had them when I did my build

61A-SW.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The elevations just couldn't keep up with my RBH floor speakers so I had to go with the Focals I maye just leave them in the ceiling and put these RBH up their next year because I can place these in more correct angles my Focal I cannot do that but that's a project for another year

It would just be dope to have an all RBH speakers setup :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Here you go!!! :)
Thanks, ‘Zilla!
:)
@Bostonhoff , there are a few other vids that I’ve seen by this guy that are all really good. He’s very practical about what he’s doing and the advice is sound.

As always, there will always be some compromise required unless you have the space to do a dedicated custom install.
Just be smart about your choices and remember that less can actually be more. Shoehorning Speakers into places that are too tight just to use a hook up on your AVR is always a poor choice.
While separation by distance from a bed layer Speaker to an Atmos Speaker is good, what ‘Zilla said earlier is key: the angles are the separation that create a believable soundfield and “bubble.”
Lastly, I don’t have time to watch the posted vid to remind myself of the content, but a very key point from that installer is off axis degradation of SQ. Not just in the upper FR, but across the entire spectrum. Somewhere there is a vid if not this one where he demonstrates the effect of having a misaligned Speaker and it is dramatic. ;)
As always, do your best with the install and try to minimize the compromises where possible.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, ‘Zilla!
:)
@Bostonhoff , there are a few other vids that I’ve seen by this guy that are all really good. He’s very practical about what he’s doing and the advice is sound.

As always, there will always be some compromise required unless you have the space to do a dedicated custom install.
Just be smart about your choices and remember that less can actually be more. Shoehorning Speakers into places that are too tight just to use a hook up on your AVR is always a poor choice.
While separation by distance from a bed layer Speaker to an Atmos Speaker is good, what ‘Zilla said earlier is key: the angles are the separation that create a believable soundfield and “bubble.”
Lastly, I don’t have time to watch the posted vid to remind myself of the content, but a very key point from that installer is off axis degradation of SQ. Not just in the upper FR, but across the entire spectrum. Somewhere there is a vid if not this one where he demonstrates the effect of having a misaligned Speaker and it is dramatic. ;)
As always, do your best with the install and try to minimize the compromises where possible.
Here's another good one

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis