Atmos questions with a Denon Receiver

letrbuck2006

letrbuck2006

Audioholic Intern
So I finally upgraded my entire hole Theater system. I'm now running a Denon AVR-X6300, Def Tech bp9080 towers, cs 9080 Center, sr9080 surrounds, pro cinema 1000s as rear height speakers and a SVS ultra 16 sealed subwoofer. I'm just starting to play around with speaker calibration but my main question involves Dolby Atmos and DTS X. . . Is there any way to essentially recreate a atmos/dts x format that will utilize my height speakers when the incoming signal is either dolby digital or dts?

Basically when I am watching cable TV is there any sound field that will utilize my height speakers. Obviously this will sound nothing like true atmos or dts x.

Also I've been reading up on Auro but I can't seem to find anything that actually supports it. If anyone can shed any light or provide info or links to info in regards to what content out there is available that utilizes Auro.

Thanks in advance. I've been searching these forums like crazy the past couple weeks seeking out a better understanding of audio stuff.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dolby Surround mode doesn't utilize the speakers if you have the appropriate speaker/amp assign settings as discussed in the manual?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think HD's question is what I'd ask too. I'm guessing op just needs to select Dolby Surround as a sound mode. Just like I'd select PLIIIx for example. Supposedly it works pretty good for music too. Unless of course 2ch is your thing.

letrbuck2006

letrbuck2006

Audioholic Intern
So after playing around I answered my own question . . One of the Denon sound modes under movie audio modes is an option that is called "Dolby Digital +Neural:X" Using this sound field I am getting sounds from my height speakers through what is coming through the cable box as a "Dolby Digital" format. Thanks to both of you for the responses.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Glad you got something to work! Neural-X I think is a DTS mode(think is the word). DSU or "Dolby surround" is what I'd look for, even though they should be similar enough.
Funny, I just saw your in mounds view. I'm sitting in a motel in maple Grove right now. Kids have spring break. Small world!

letrbuck2006

letrbuck2006

Audioholic Intern
Glad you got something to work! Neural-X I think is a DTS mode(think is the word). DSU or "Dolby surround" is what I'd look for, even though they should be similar enough.
Funny, I just saw your in mounds view. I'm sitting in a motel in maple Grove right now. Kids have spring break. Small world!
Small world indeed. That is quite funny you are probably 15-20 minutes away from where I live. . .

Here is what the sound mode looks like on the receiver for anyone else that stumbles across this and is looking for help.
20170318_235131.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So what happened when you used DD plus Dolby Surround? (the selection above the DTS version).

letrbuck2006

letrbuck2006

Audioholic Intern
So what happened when you used DD plus Dolby Surround? (the selection above the DTS version).
Sorry, got a new phone and it didn't alert me that someone replied to a previous post like my old one did. . . As far as I can tell both the Dolby digital + Dolby surround and Dolby digital + neural:x take a standard Dolby digital or DTS format and up convert it to utilize my height speakers. I'm going to shoot an email to Denon tech support just because I am curious on how they explain the difference in the two. I'll reply again once I hear back.

letrbuck2006

letrbuck2006

Audioholic Intern
Direct quote from the avs forum. . .

"You have answered your own question. Neural is pseudo DTS:X, just the same that Dolby Surround is pseudo Atmos Most people, I presume, would use an Atmos speaker layout to take advantage of the upmixing. I use a 5.1.2 with a pair of upfiring Atmos enabled speakers. I find Neural:X to be very effective, especially so on live music discs where the front soundstage is greatly enhanced.

There is soon to be a firmware upgrade released that will allow cross mixing, so if you prefer Neural to Dolby Surround you will be able to use that on DD soundtracks and vice versa."

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, got a new phone and it didn't alert me that someone replied to a previous post like my old one did. . . As far as I can tell both the Dolby digital + Dolby surround and Dolby digital + neural:x take a standard Dolby digital or DTS format and up convert it to utilize my height speakers. I'm going to shoot an email to Denon tech support just because I am curious on how they explain the difference in the two. I'll reply again once I hear back.
I don't think I saw an alert that you responded either now that you mention it....

They're just slightly different matrixing algorithms....at least I assume it is similar to their predecessors (Dolby PLIIx vs DTS Neo:X sound modes on various avrs). Would like to hear how Denon describes it. I'm dealing with Denon support and they're really slow....and not very helpful so far.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis