Atmos 5.1.4 Ceiling Speaker location

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Hey all,
So I recently upgraded to a Denon AVR-X4300H and am not looking to add the ceiling speakers for a 5.1.4 Atmos/Auro-3D setup. Through reading of various articles is appears Atmos has some of the more restrictive speaker locations, so I figure I would use that as the basis. Below is a correctly scaled depiction on my theater room.

A couple quick numbers/legend

Room dimensions 18' X 9'7"
Ceiling height 8'

The bipolar surrounds are mounted 6' (on center) off the floor and 9' back (90 degrees to my head)
I have 2 rows of seating, 1st row ears are 9" from the front wall, 2nd row ears are 14' from front wall.

Based on Atmos set-up speaker placement guide for a 5.1.4 (https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/5-1-4-setups.html) I understand the front in-ceiling speakers should be should be 4'10" in front of me (based on 45 degrees).

My question is:
1) How far into the room do I mount the ceiling speakers? (the red A below)
2) How far back do I mount the rear ceiling speakers (the red B below). The math in the guide doesn't work (i.e. side surrounds 90 degrees from listener, but ceiling 125-150 degrees back from the listener)

upload_2017-6-4_13-30-33.png

Any help is appreciated.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Hello,
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone at home?

Bump...

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey all,
So I recently upgraded to a Denon AVR-X4300H and am not looking to add the ceiling speakers for a 5.1.4 Atmos/Auro-3D setup. Through reading of various articles is appears Atmos has some of the more restrictive speaker locations, so I figure I would use that as the basis. Below is a correctly scaled depiction on my theater room.

A couple quick numbers/legend

Room dimensions 18' X 9'7"
Ceiling height 8'

The bipolar surrounds are mounted 6' (on center) off the floor and 9' back (90 degrees to my head)
I have 2 rows of seating, 1st row ears are 9" from the front wall, 2nd row ears are 14' from front wall.

Based on Atmos set-up speaker placement guide for a 5.1.4 (https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/5-1-4-setups.html) I understand the front in-ceiling speakers should be should be 4'10" in front of me (based on 45 degrees).

My question is:
1) How far into the room do I mount the ceiling speakers? (the red A below)
2) How far back do I mount the rear ceiling speakers (the red B below). The math in the guide doesn't work (i.e. side surrounds 90 degrees from listener, but ceiling 125-150 degrees back from the listener)

View attachment 21135

Any help is appreciated.
I think the dolby diagram is more or less a guide, not really a mandate. If the speakers have any degree of dispersion if you are reasonably close to the guide, you should be fine.

My space is not nearly the perfect rectangle that yours is...my primary seating is only 5' off the back wall and I have attic pull down stairs to deal with, so I'm going with 2 front heights and I think the position will be roughly 3' in front of the main seating.

In either case good luck with it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis