M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
In my basement running 5.1.2 off my Yamaha RXA770. Figured I’d upgraded to 5.1.4, installed 2 front height speakers and have 2 overhead ceiling speakers. I have AVR set to Basic and Front presence on, however now I’m thinking this receiver does not allow a .4 set up? I don’t think it has rear presence channel Or a way to enable it? So the 4 Atmos channels I currently have them set as FRont presence and in ceiling as Surround Back. Do I need to upgrade the receiver or is there a way to configure this?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The RX-770 can process and power seven channels for a 7.1 or 5.1.2 setup. You will need to step up to a nine channel receiver like the discontinued RX-A2080 or the newer RX-A6A for a 5.1.4 setup.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like your avr is maxed out at 7.1/5.1.2 due processing power....some avrs have an ability to process more channels than they have amps for via the use of an external amp, but the A770 isn't one of them....

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
I have A 5 channel external amp I could use so I can’t even use that to add 2 more channels?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, you don't have the processor capable of two more channels....you could perhaps duplicate channels, but I wouldn't do that.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
Ill research doubling up duplicate channels but looks like another upgrade coming!!!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve seen movies (I think like Pet Sematary 2019) where you can hear PANNING sounds from one Atmos ceiling speaker to the next utilizing all 4 separate Atmos speakers. IOW, each of the 4 Atmos speakers is independent and discrete = 4 discrete channels.

If you just duplicate the front 2 Atmos to the back to make 4 speakers, it’s still just 2 discrete channels of processing. The Panning will be just left and right, not front-back, left-right, front-left to back-right, etc.

The potential is there for very cool Atmos effects utilizing all 4 independent discrete Atmos channels.

1st world problems. :D

Last edited:
M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
I’ve seen movies (I think like Pet Sematary 2019) where you can hear PANNING sounds from one Atmos ceiling speaker to the next utilizing all 4 separate Atmos speakers. IOW, each of the 4 Atmos speakers is independent and discrete = 4 discrete channels.

If you just duplicate the front 2 Atmos to the back to make 4 speakers, it’s still just 2 discrete channels of processing. The Panning will be just left and right, not front-back, left-right, front-left to back-right, etc.

The potential is there for very cool Atmos effects utilizing all 4 independent discrete Atmos channels.
Good point, the 4 Atmos speakers are all 8ohm speakers. The cost of upgraded to a 9 channel AVR is pretty significant. I guess my options are to double up and run 2 speakers off each height channels (so .4 Atmos off 2 height channels).

Or what if I use a Y splitter out of the Height pre out of the AVR to an external 5 channel power amp? Then I can wire the .4 ATmos to the external amp And have the power amp power each atmos speaker? *(i know this option still only gives me 2 discrete channels).

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
Good point, the 4 Atmos speakers are all 8ohm speakers. The cost of upgraded to a 9 channel AVR is pretty significant. I guess my options are to double up and run 2 speakers off each height channels (so .4 Atmos off 2 height channels).

Or what if I use a Y splitter out of the Height pre out of the AVR to an external 5 channel power amp? Then I can wire the .4 ATmos to the external amp And have the power amp power each atmos speaker? *(i know this option still only gives me 2 discrete channels).
This work anyway since the a770 doesn’t have preouts

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Can you elaborate please?
Basically it’s what ADTG said. You’d lose the front to back and cross panning that real .4 Atmos can give you. The between layer imaging, and XYZ axes imaging will also be limited. IMO, defeating most of the point of Atmos. If all you care about is sound above you, then you may be satisfied, but there will be immersion left on the table, which is kinda the point. This would be a little bit like all channel stereo, except on the ceiling.
To be fair, not all soundtracks utilize the technology to its full potential which is sad considering home Atmos is 10 years old already.
The idea of splitting signals to more speakers isn’t new, and it’s the way arrays are used in commercial theaters, or home theaters with multiple rows etc. But that’s not quite the same thing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why do people say this? Is it like an apology for being fortunate enough to live in the best place on earth?
Saying “1st world problems” is not an apology at all.

It's saying, “Thank God that I am extremely fortunate and proud to be living the good life! And yes, I’m bragging and joking about it.”. :D

Last edited:
M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
On an Atmos soundtrack on Netflix are the .4 Atmos speakers only playing 2 different audio channels or do most Atmos movies have 4 different discrete audio channels ?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
On an Atmos soundtrack on Netflix are the .4 Atmos speakers only playing 2 different audio channels or do most Atmos movies have 4 different discrete audio channels ?
Really depends on the soundtrack. Some are 7.1.2, some are locked 7.1.4, and some actually utilize all of the available audio objects. 128 for commercial theaters, and 16 iirc for home.
In short, it depends on the track, but Atmos is objectively based by nature, not channel based. It gets confusing though, because locked tracks, like most Disney ones, are still object based, but they’re static objects locked to a speaker.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

FWIW when I mentioned doubling up I was talking more about using pre-outs and an external amp rather than just using the internal amps, as I thought the Aventage avrs had a full set of pre-outs, altho with speakers with little demand like Atmos might be okay to double up speakers....but don't see it being worthwhile either way in any case as you still won't get four discrete channels out of two.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis