Atlantic Technology 44-DA Atmos Elevation Speaker Module Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Atlantic Technology's 44-DA breaks the mold of what we've seen from Atmos Elevation speakers thus far. Instead of a 3-4" full range driver, the 44-DA utilizes a concentric array with a 1" silk dome tweeter and 5.25" polypropylene cone woofer. Priced at $499, its cost doesn't appear out of line for what you get, in contrast with some of the Atmos modules we've seen roll out.

Read the Atlantic Technology 44-DA Atmos Speaker Preview

Do you own Atlantic Tech speakers? Plan on adding these Atmos Elevation modules? Let us know what you think.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I have owned some Atlantic Tech speakers before - they can make some nice stuff.

This new offering does look more on the positive side.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I expect good things from Atlantic Technology and Pioneer in general. :D

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I expect good things from Atlantic Technology and Pioneer in general. :D
One thing about Atlantic Tech when I owned them - is they were one of the better speakers at imaging.
Sade for sure, sounded good on these speakers.

N

nickboros

Audioholic
The well designed Pioneer and Atlantic Tech Atmos modules that reflect sound off of the ceiling are meant to be crossed over at around 200 Hz. This is because Dolby had said the 80Hz to 200 Hz range for the modules with the reflected sound is a bad idea. I wonder why Andrew Jones (the Pioneer speaker designer) prefers the sound of the modules over a more full ranged speaker mounted on the ceiling than can genuinely reach down to a crossover of 80 Hz? Can the 80 Hz to 200 Hz range of a ceiling mounted speaker muddy up the sounds in the other channels?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Is there really a market for these types of speakers?

1. What if you have vaulted or cathedral ceilings?
2. It appears the overwhelming majority of people, at least on this forum and others, are not buying into the hype of ATMOS
3. There is no content in the near future

It just really seems like this is just a Field of Dreams Approach by speaker manufactures.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
The well designed Pioneer and Atlantic Tech Atmos modules that reflect sound off of the ceiling are meant to be crossed over at around 200 Hz. This is because Dolby had said the 80Hz to 200 Hz range for the modules with the reflected sound is a bad idea. I wonder why Andrew Jones (the Pioneer speaker designer) prefers the sound of the modules over a more full ranged speaker mounted on the ceiling than can genuinely reach down to a crossover of 80 Hz? Can the 80 Hz to 200 Hz range of a ceiling mounted speaker muddy up the sounds in the other channels?
That range is a common problem area due to drywall resonance. It depends on construction, but, the frequency can be around 125Hz. So, they're trying to avoid exciting drywall, I believe. Also, as frequency lowers, so does ones ability to judge its directivity.

It's actually worse to hit resonance than just color the sound - because it causes the room to 'ring'. Ringing cause loss of soundstage, detail and imaging... it's not fixable using EQ, only using bass traps or preventing it in the first place.

N

nickboros

Audioholic
That range is a common problem area due to drywall resonance. It depends on construction, but, the frequency can be around 125Hz. So, they're trying to avoid exciting drywall, I believe. Also, as frequency lowers, so does ones ability to judge its directivity.

It's actually worse to hit resonance than just color the sound - because it causes the room to 'ring'. Ringing cause loss of soundstage, detail and imaging... it's not fixable using EQ, only using bass traps or preventing it in the first place.
So, even if I have a speaker that can reach down to 80 Hz and am able to mount it on the ceiling, it may be best to cross it over higher anyways, like at say 150 to 200 Hz to avoid any possibility of ringing?

It must be that Andrew Jones preferred the reflected sound (of the modules) rather than direct sound (of a ceiling mounted speaker) for the height channels, because if you are correct, then he probably crossed them both over similarly at 150 to 200 Hz.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That's because 80 about 1kHz is very directional. Bad idea b/c the physics don't support it like the diagrams have been showing. I have an article coming out that details more of this in a few days.

IF you're using ceiling mounted speakers, I suggest treating them like any other surround channel with an 80Hz crossover. I've installed many in-ceiling speakers as back surround channels and ambient channels for distributed audio throughout the house. Never had a problem with drywall resonances.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis