ATI 2505 Amplifier Info. Anyone?

J

jayswizz

Junior Audioholic
I was wondering if anyone has expierience with ATI amplifiers. In particular the AT2505. I am considering upgrading from a B&K Ref 7250(200x5). Is this an upgrade or on the same level as the B&K? The ATI is 250x5 but who knows how accurate these ratings are. ATI amps seem to be reasonably priced, but I have no distributors around me to audition one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Is there any reason you're looking to "upgrade" from the B&K? -TD

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I concur. B&K makes excellent products. The only real "upgrade" I could see that would be useful would be to go for all monoblock amps. Otherwise you're just back in the same boat. Moreover, an amp upgrade won't get you the kind of improvement that improving your room acoustics can.

J

jayswizz

Junior Audioholic
I was just curious because I someone was trying to sell one to a friend for cheap. He is not into the HT thing so he asked me if I wanted it. I am reluctant about it because I love my B&K. It is the first and only amp I have ever had. I only started this hobby a year ago so I have nothing to compare my amp too. From what I have read the B&K seems to be a decent entry level amp. By the way I am not parting with it. Thanks guys.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Gotcha. Didn't know if you were looking to get "better" sound out of your amp (which is highly unlikely), more power, which would be negligible going from your existing amp to the ATI, regardless of the 50W/ch increase or some other reason.

If it's a good price, you may want to do some reasearch and see what the going rate for it is. If it's a heck of a deal, you could always resell it via AudiogoN or eBay. You could always test it out in your system to see if you like it as well and sell your B&K... -TD

J

jayswizz

Junior Audioholic
Thanks tomd51. The price seems too good to be true($800). My guess is that my newbie ears would not detect a difference. I assume I would have to spend a substantial amount of money to hear a difference worth paying for. My pockets are just not deep enough at this point. Again, Thank you

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
You're welcome. That's actually a pretty good price for that amp. There's one on AudiogoN right now going for $1200, but it's been there for a couple of weeks. That amp, depending upon it's physical condition being good to excellent and it's in good working order should garner around the $1000 mark, possibly more.

It would likely be a lateral move, but it wouldn't be terribly difficult to offload and I think you'd be able to make money on it. Plus, you could give it a demo in your current setup and see if it actually would be an improvement or if there's little to no difference, that'd really be the only way to know for sure. If it's something you can't afford, though, I don't think you'd be missing out on a golden opportunity or anything... -TD

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis