ATI 2007 or Earthquake Cinenova Grande 7

B

Bassfeen

Enthusiast
Greetings All,

First time user on here, normally post on other forums, Need some help from fellow professional audiophiles :)

I am a British living and working in Indonesia.

I am importing goods into Indonesia there for have to conduct research constantly and sometimes to buy stuff without listening to the AV Gear (Gambling). This is why I am in need for help most of the time on products I am interested in. As Shipping and Taxes often cost me an arm and leg.

I have in my Setup.

Processor Onkyo 5509
3 UPA -1 Mono Blocks
2 Seaton Subs
3 JTR triple 8 Sealed 2012 Version.
Room Size: 6 Meters by 6m
Acoustics: Grey Egg Foam all over the room to absorb the echoes from the walls and floor. The house contains white floor Tiles.

40% Music 60% Movies

In the near future am going to purchase the Danley Mini for the Rear Channels.

My Problem is Hiss from the Emotiva Amplifiers, The High Efficiency of the JTR is bringing out all the flaws of the amp straight through with the music. I can hear this at low and high passages during music play back. Its evidently audible even during movie play back. Its driving me nuts.
I am looking at the following 2 Amps

ATI 2007 or Earthquake Cinenova Grande 7

The ATI 2007 Specs can be easily be found the SNR is showing up as -123DB after some research few members have mentioned its dead quiet. Its pure balanced design and the power are sufficient. I’m not sure much about Sound quality.

The EQ Amps seems to have better rates on Distortion the higher you push the amp, The best thing about this is modular and if one or 2 of the channel dies out I can simply ship this back by post to Earthquake for repairs or exchange. However with the ATI believe they will request the whole amp to be shipped back. Considering the Amps weight this will prove to be an expensive ride if something goes wrong.

Has anyone compared both these amps and what are your opinions with Noise floor on both and sound quality including customer service?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have not heard both.

Although you know ATI makes the Earthquake Sound amps, I'm sure they've made a few changes like power supplies, etc.

I believe Earthquake and Cinepro tweak their OEM amps for higher output than the ATI amps. But I think there may be compromises on measurements like XTalk & SNR; I believe ATI will have better numbers.

So I'm not sure if the Earthquake amp will be dead silent (no hiss) like ATI amps. The AT1800 amps are also dead silent.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ATI does NOT make amplifiers for Earthquake.

Jeff
I read a review in Home Theater magazine that said ATI made amps for Earthquake, but that was several years ago.

You can confirm that the 200wpc & 300wpc Earthquake amps are not modified ATI OEM amps?

B

Bassfeen

Enthusiast
[Acudeftecguy, I was wandering if you can help me compare the specs from EQ Amps to ATI Amps.

Here is Earthquake Grande Specs Taken from Manual.

found on there site, I can post the image on here The forum wont allow me.

B

Bassfeen

Enthusiast
I cant copy this as a table i will send you spec by private message.

MODEL Cinénova Grande 5/7 Cinénova 7
Number of Channels 5-channels / 7-channels 7-channels
Power Rating Per Channel
1 (8-ohm load), all channels driven: 360 Watts
2 (4-ohm load), all channels driven: 610 Watts
2 (2-ohm load), all channels driven: 810 Watts
(8-ohm load) Rated:150 WRMS Measured:170
(4-ohm load) Rated:250 WRMS Measured:300
(2-ohm load) Rated:300 WRMS Measured:350
Output Load Impedance Safe with all loads from 2-Ohm to 16-Ohm Safe with all loads from 4-Ohm to 16-Ohm
Input Impedance - RCA: 28-kOhms
- XLR: 48-kOhms
- RCA: 28-kOhms
- XLR: 48-kOhms
Input Sensitivity - RCA: 1.6V
- XLR: 2.4V See table pg. 13, item 7
Voltage Gain (Av) 42V Gain Relative to 1 watt 42V Gain Relative to 1 watt
Frequency Response up to 50kHz ±0.1dB up to 30kHz ±0.1dB
Crossover Filter (low-pass/highpass)
Variable Selector from 20Hz - 5kHz with a slope of 12dB/Octave N/A
Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise 0.003% at 1 watt 0.003% at 1 watt
Signal to Noise Ratio (A-Weighted) Greater than -121 dB Greater than -121 dB
Cross Talk / Channel Seperation Greater than -110 dB from 17Hz to 40kHz Greater than -110 dB from 17Hz to 40kHz
Slew Rate 55V/microsecond 60V/microsecond
Damping Factor 1600 at 8-Ohm, 800 at 4-Ohm, 400 at 2-Ohm 600 at 8-Ohm, 300 at 4-Ohm
DC Output Offset Less than 0.004V 0.004
Power Requirement 120 VAC/240 VAC Factory Pre-set 120 VAC/240 VAC Factory Pre-set
Chassis Dimensions (H x W x D) 9 1/4” x 18” x 21” (235mm)x(457mm)x(533mm) 6 7/8” x 17” x 16 1/4” (175mm)x(432mm)x(413mm)
Net Weight Grande-5: 110lbs / 49.9Kg Grande-7: 122lbs / 55.3Kg 80lbs / 36.3Kg
Shipping Weight Grande-5: 134lbs / 60.8Kg Grande-7: 148lbs / 67.1Kg 99lbs / 45Kg

B

Bassfeen

Enthusiast
I am interested in Distortion Rate, SNR and Crosstalk. Accross both Amps.

Im thinking might just buy both and compare it all at home and then sell of the one not needed.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Are you sure this is not because of improper grounding? See this thread for details.

It would be a major disillusionment if the amp replacement does not fix the hum.

B

Bassfeen

Enthusiast
The Seaton Subs did have a grounding issue. I got this sorted by getting the grounding cable connected to the Seaton Amps. Both Subs now are silent. The Grounding Cable also was connect to the processor but this did not make any diffrence. I also tried to ground the Amps and this made no diffrence either. The JTR are high efficent speakers and it seems to not work well with the Emotiva amps. Possibly due to Gain levels or SNR.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Are you using a UPS or doing any power conditioning? A mains supply sag or spike could also induce hum. Also, are you using the balanced input on the UPA?

With a SNR of 89dB the UPA should be dead quiet too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am interested in Distortion Rate, SNR and Crosstalk. Accross both Amps.

Im thinking might just buy both and compare it all at home and then sell of the one not needed.
I think they will both sound exactly the same, which is superb. I really do.

I would not waste any time buying both.

Bottom line, they are both high power solid amps with awesome THD, XTalk, & SNR.

I would be happy with Earthquake, Outlaw, JBL, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, or ATI.:D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
You can keep the Levinson. Heard it, not impressed for the bucks it cost vs other $3000 amps. Why pay for an overpriced amp based on a name.

S

Solid-State

Banned
You have three choices IMHO for a decent solid-state amp.

AB International

Amplifier Technologies Inc.

Emotiva Audio Corporation/Jade Designs

I'd start with calling Bob at AB International as I hear he has good deals right now on his theater amps. They are basically Cinepro amps but with better caps etc and upgraded board revisions/layouts. They are similar to Cinepro because Bob designed the Cinepro gear!

AB International

Amplifier Technologies Inc.

Emotiva Audio Corporation/Jade Design

S

Solid-State

Banned
The 5x200W Levinson amp lists for $12,000. I'd only be happy with it if someone gave it to me.
That myfriend is an audio Boutique....

cough cough

riipajfd

cough cough

This industry is so RIFE with RIP OFFS and CON ARTISTS and BS you need fishing waders to dredge through it...

BTW I might add this website and it's owner/operator is an oasis is a sea of BS in this regard! SALUTE GENE!

S

Solid-State

Banned
Are you using a UPS or doing any power conditioning? A mains supply sag or spike could also induce hum. Also, are you using the balanced input on the UPA?

With a SNR of 89dB the UPA should be dead quiet too.
I've never heard of a sag or spike causes hum... (I've heard pops when rectifier diodes get over driven but it's momentary during spike and that shows a bad unregulated or unfiltered DC linear)

That's a new one to me man...

It's something dynamic and not constant as well right (spike/sag) so how could a constant hum come from that, with "constant" being the important thing to note...

LOL

PS perhaps after PSU damage !?! that's about it dude...

Last edited:
S

Solid-State

Banned
The Seaton Subs did have a grounding issue. I got this sorted by getting the grounding cable connected to the Seaton Amps. Both Subs now are silent. The Grounding Cable also was connect to the processor but this did not make any diffrence. I also tried to ground the Amps and this made no diffrence either. The JTR are high efficent speakers and it seems to not work well with the Emotiva amps. Possibly due to Gain levels or SNR.
Emotiva amps have a gain of 32 and 28 is normal. This should just affect the volume gain structure and not performance as you think/perceive. I'm curious if the Seaton subs have a ground on the IEC. Also if the pre/pro/AVR does and also if the Seaton subs use the same wall socket/plug.

This could tell me a thing or two about the design of the Seaton and/or the pre/pro/AVR regarding it's design and ground plane. BTW are you single ended or balanced? I assume single ended...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis