Athena AS-f2 vsw Axiom M60-ti

F

FLMike

Audioholic
All,

I might have the opportunity to pick up two used M60-TI's with VP-150 center. They are in excellent condition. The only problem is that they are out of state and I cannot audition them. They will be replacing two Athena AS-f2 mains and matching center. My surrounds are already Axiom M3's, and I have a new Outlaw LFM-1 Plus arriving next week.

My question is, will the M60's represent a substantial upgrade to the Athena's, particularly to the mains? I am already convinced the center is substantially better. Any advice or comments appreciated.

Best,

Mike

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
While speakers are terribly subjective and what sound suits some, doesn't necessarily for all, I imagine the M60s being a distinguishable upgrade from the AS-F2s. As you're already familiar with the sound signature of the Axioms being an owner of the M3s, I'm sure you like how they sound.

Just for testing purposes, you could always swap out the Athenas w/your M3s and see if you like how they sound. The M60s will sound similar, but should provide a much more solid low end, better midrange and a much broader soundstage... -TD

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Nothing against tomd, honestly, but I find that most people who recommend against Athena speakers are the people who haven't heard them. I've found this on other fora as well as on newsgroups.

My Athenas sound amazing. Maybe the M60s sound better, but I can't comment on that, cos I haven't heard them.

cheers,
supervij

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
NP supervij, that's why I started my post with how "subjective" speaker listening can be. ;)

Actually, I have heard several of Athena's offerings and own their Athena PS-4000 sub used in a smaller setting and it does a great job. Needed some minor modding, but I'm more than pleased w/it's performance for less than $200.

Athena's made some great products for the money, though I've read that many folks aren't quite as pleased with their latest models as opposed to what they've offered in the past, such as the AS-F2s.

Understand I'm not saying the Athenas aren't solid speakers, I believe they are for the money, but in a side by side DBF test, I can't see the Athenas besting the M60s, unless you're completely put off by the sonic signature of the Axioms. In fact, I think if you paired up the M3s and AS-F2s with a good subwoofer, you might find the M3s outperform the Athenas.

Again, this is completely subjective and as I'm sure, others may disagree, however this is my experience, YMMV... -TD

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't heard the Axioms, but if you're going to upgrade from Athena, I think it would make more sense to go bigger then just an M60.

SheepStar

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well, they'll certainly be different. Whether you like the difference and consider it an upgrade or not is hard to say, particularly when you haven't stated what your hoping to improve upon by replacing the Athena's.

But, if you're just looking for a change, I'm fairly certain you won't be disappointed.

But, assuming your surrounds are voiced like the ones you want to buy, you could always try them as your mains and try some two channel music for a taste of what you might expect. You might also want to try this with your current Athenas as well.

F

FLMike

Audioholic
Looking to upgrade appearance for one thing

All,
Thanks for the replie and opinions. I am actually pretty happy with the
AS-F2s with one notable exception: Appearance and Center channel performance. But that said, I don't want to lay out cash--even if I get a good deal-- for what amounts to either a lateral move or a step down in performance. It might make sense to wait and look at something better down the road. Some of the Aperion offerings look good and I also like the looks of the Rocket line at AV123 although it is out of range right now.

Best,

Mike

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis