Ascend Sierra-1's vs. RBH MC-6C's

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
There is talk of a review but as far as I know we haven't had any review samples shipped yet.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
I received notice that mine were shipped yesterday. It will likely take a few weeks for Ascend to catch up to orders. Wonder if Steven succeeded in geting some for audition?

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
I am planning on listening to the MC-6C's this weekend.
But desipite that, since I cannot A/B them, in the room, at the same SPL, same equipment, and within a short period of time...It would be very difficult to say which is better, unless there are night and day differences.
What you should do is get a pair of Sierra for trial, and take them with you. Unless there are things that really standout, audio memory is very short.

M

muzz

Audiophyte
Mine will be here Wednesday!!
I got Sierra L/C/R to replace 170SE L/R,and a 340SEC

I suspect I will need a diaper while listening, but I will let you all know what I think of them.

Even if I am a bit "Damp"

If they aren't a big upgrade, I will CERTAINLY say so.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
When Gene and crew do their bookshelf speaker showdown, I trust that they will be A/B'ing the equipment, make sure things are properly calibrated, and be objective. RBH has set a pretty high standard for itself, and is a favorite; so any competitor will have a uphill battle to face.

Gene, have you received or heard the Sierra's yet?
The face off review will be very similar to how Ray did our last one though this one will be conducted by a panel of 3 listeners and all speakers will be measured.

Ascends is shipping us a pair of speakers next week.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
The face off review will be very similar to how Ray did our last one though this one will be conducted by a panel of 3 listeners and all speakers will be measured.

Ascend Acoustics seem to be a great company. Their owner (Dave F) is a real stand up guy. He always takes the time to help out or answer question directly and puts alot of effort in customer satisfaction. Judging by all the feedback I am fairly sure, Dave knows how good this speaker is and it should knock your panels socks off;).

Looking forward to this and thanks, Billy p:)

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
I am going to listen to the LSR4300 Studio Monitors, and RBH MC-6C's this weekend. Can you tell us what other speakers are in the showdown? or is it a secret? I might be able to find some local dealers, listen to them, and form an opinion before reading your showdown.

I think you would suprised, and would really shake things up if you added the JBL LSR4300. They are in the same price range, and sound pretty awesome. plus being powered, builtin EQ's, and self room correction.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
FREE BEER!!!:p

Can't wait to see the reveiw. Should help the OP and some others to get going in the right direction.

SBF1

G

Grayson73

Audiophyte

I look forward to this.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Is there a Address available for Audioholics, so we can show our appreaciation to you guys by sending you beer?

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
FREE BEER!!!:p
Shame on me and my beer influences...:D

BTW, got my Sierras on Wednesday, but haven't had a chance to hook them up yet. Shame on me again, I know, but the end of the school year + Master's Degree coursework + 2 year old child = very, very busy. I hope to get them hooked up on Saturday temporarily mounted on some old Sanus stands that I have. First impressions of the speakers are very positive, though I was a bit disappointed to find a fairly obvious defect on the top, back, left of one of the speaker cabinets where the veneer hadn't joined properly and the gap was filled with acrylic or whatever they finish their cabinets with. It's a bit ugly and I'll probably contact Dave to see what he wants to do, but otherwise the speakers look gorgeous. Now I've got to find some reasonable bamboo veneer or plywood to fashion some appropriate stands.

J.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
I thought they didn't use veneer on the speakers, just a bamboo laminate. Did you get A or B stock?

M

muzz

Audiophyte
Shame on me and my beer influences...:D

BTW, got my Sierras on Wednesday, but haven't had a chance to hook them up yet. Shame on me again, I know, but the end of the school year + Master's Degree coursework + 2 year old child = very, very busy. I hope to get them hooked up on Saturday temporarily mounted on some old Sanus stands that I have. First impressions of the speakers are very positive, though I was a bit disappointed to find a fairly obvious defect on the top, back, left of one of the speaker cabinets where the veneer hadn't joined properly and the gap was filled with acrylic or whatever they finish their cabinets with. It's a bit ugly and I'll probably contact Dave to see what he wants to do, but otherwise the speakers look gorgeous. Now I've got to find some reasonable bamboo veneer or plywood to fashion some appropriate stands.

J.
NO cheesy Veneer there bud, thats solid Bamboo laminate.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
I am going to listen to the LSR4300 Studio Monitors, and RBH MC-6C's this weekend. Can you tell us what other speakers are in the showdown? or is it a secret? I might be able to find some local dealers, listen to them, and form an opinion before reading your showdown.

I think you would suprised, and would really shake things up if you added the JBL LSR4300. They are in the same price range, and sound pretty awesome. plus being powered, builtin EQ's, and self room correction.
/sigh. An Unexpected visit by the in-laws last weekend. Followed by a all day kid's EXPO, kinda put the speakers on the back burner. I'm kinda bummed out about it. Since I had to make special arrangements because most the installers only work M-F 8-5.

On a side note, looks like more people have received their speakers and are putting up reviews. I dont think I've heard a bad review yet.

M

muzz

Audiophyte
I got my L/C/R Sierra naturals today..
They look sweet
They sound sweet
The bass surprises me.

I ran them Large-2 channel mostly

Upgraded from 170SE Mains, and a 340SE center, and IMO it was a very worthwhile upgrade...
Need more time to crank'm up though, only had about 2 hrs to do that today.... tommorrow is another day though!!

Very Happy so far! :D

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
It's been almost 2 weeks since it was mentioned that review speakers were on the way to Audioholics.

Just curious to know what the initial impressions were, and if the speakers were given the recommended break in period.

Reorx

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis