Ascend Open House - New Products

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It looks like Ascend is having an event this Saturday (11/20). I'm told that they will be unveiling the upgraded Sierra-1 NrT and the new Ascend Tower. I don't have a lot of details but will be going. According to Curtis it should start around 10 or 11am.

ASCEND ACOUSTICS, INC.
1062 Calle Negocio Suite G
San Clemente, CA 92673

If you have any questions please contact Ascend.

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It's a couple of hour drive each way but it should be fun to see and hear the prototype tower. Photos of the prototypes are up on AVS.

I'm told that Ascend is shooting to compete on the same level as Jim Salk's Song Tower QWT and there may even be a chance hear the two side by side. That's a heck of a goal and should be very interesting! The only thing that would make the trip better would be having my three Sierra-1 NrT upgrade kits ready to install but they're still waiting for the parts. That's okay I can wait 1 or 2 more weeks and at least I'll be able to hear them.

I'm thoroughly happy with my ST-RTs so I'll be leaving my checkbook and plastic at home. ;) No way I will be upgrading again until someone develops something at the same price point with the ST-RT's level of musical sound quality with much much much more sensitivity and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Last edited:
J

jamie2112

Banned
I have another of my son's games and will miss this too..............aaaarrrggghhhh

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A couple of hours drive for me too. I still haven't even heard the original Sierras :(

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
I'm told that Ascend is shooting to compete on the same level as Jim Salk's Song Tower QWT and there may even be a chance hear the two side by side. That's a heck of a goal and should be very interesting! The only thing that would make the trip better would be having my three Sierra-1 NrT upgrade kits ready to install but they're still waiting for the parts. That's okay I can wait 1 or 2 more weeks and at least I'll be able to hear them.

I'm thoroughly happy with my ST-RTs so I'll be leaving my checkbook and plastic at home. ;) No way I will be upgrading again until someone develops something at the same price point with the ST-RT's level of musical sound quality with much much much more sensitivity and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
I can tell you that Dave's goal is never to just "compete". :)

A couple of hours drive for me too. I still haven't even heard the original Sierras :(
John...are you coming? It would be great to meet you.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When I say a couple of hours, it is more like 6, so I probably won't make this one.

I really like Dana Point too; which is just north of there. Would likely have stopped there at that restaraunt on the cliff at the point (whatever it was called). We went fishing down there on our customer for completing a big project on time and under budget. We ate at that restaurant and it was pretty good.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
It looks like Ascend is having an event this Saturday (11/20). I'm told that they will be unveiling the upgraded Sierra-1 NrT and the new Ascend Tower. I don't have a lot of details but will be going. According to Curtis it should start around 10 or 11am.

ASCEND ACOUSTICS, INC.
1062 Calle Negocio Suite G
San Clemente, CA 92673

If you have any questions please contact Ascend.
Now that is freakin` interesting.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
I saw pictures of the tower, are they sealed or rear ported.
Matt, the first prototype we heard/saw had dual front ports. The finalized prototype is supposedly a single rear port. Dave said the phase integration between the woofer and port was better with the rear port configuration.

woofersus

woofersus

Audioholic
Dang, the fun stuff never happens here in the midwest....

woofersus

woofersus

Audioholic
Which makes it a good excuse to come and visit :) Weather is excellent out here right now for this time of year.
Yes, it would be a nice time of year to head out that way. Unfortunately I can't justify the cost just to have a fun day. I can take solace in the fact that when it's hovering in the single digits here in January I'll be headed to Las Vegas for CES. :D

I believe Elemental Designs had one this last summer. :p

Elemental Designs
1618 N. 15th Ave. E.
Newton, IA 50208​
I didn't know about that. Probably would have been cool, although I'd argue that Newton, IA is moving out of the midwest and more a part of the plains states. ;) I will say that Emofest is a mere 8hr drive from me, which is very cool although scheduling issues have prevented my attending the last two years since I've known about it.

Either way, I'm probably just suffering from a bit of geography envy since summer is over and it's getting cold. Hope everybody has fun. I'll look forward to hearing the new products soon.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Let's see what Sholling's got for us
Not a lot. No more pictures, it was raining cats and dogs and I wasn't taking my camera out in that. Dave strikes me as a good guy and was a real pleasure to talk with. The new Towers are still prototypes but sounded quite good. We didn't flog them with a ton of volume but at the moderate levels we listened to they produced gobs of bass. Unfortunately I couldn't stay long enough to listen to an A/B with Salk Song Tower QWTs.

The NrT upgrade for the Sierra-1 is subtle but I have kits on order. The new tweeter produces a bit more detail and according to Dave extends even higher. Imaging seems a bit more forward and the sound a bit airier.

Between weather and traffic I've spent over 5 hours on the road today but I'll try to add a bit more later.

C

cantonguy

Junior Audioholic
Yes, it would be a nice time of year to head out that way. Unfortunately I can't justify the cost just to have a fun day. I can take solace in the fact that when it's hovering in the single digits here in January I'll be headed to Las Vegas for CES. :D

I didn't know about that. Probably would have been cool, although I'd argue that Newton, IA is moving out of the midwest and more a part of the plains states. ;) I will say that Emofest is a mere 8hr drive from me, which is very cool although scheduling issues have prevented my attending the last two years since I've known about it.

Either way, I'm probably just suffering from a bit of geography envy since summer is over and it's getting cold. Hope everybody has fun. I'll look forward to hearing the new products soon.

Not to be a jerk but...The midwest consists of twelve states in the north-central United States: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Ohio and Wisconsin.[

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Not a lot. No more pictures, it was raining cats and dogs and I wasn't taking my camera out in that. Dave strikes me as a good guy and was a real pleasure to talk with. The new Towers are still prototypes but sounded quite good. We didn't flog them with a ton of volume but at the moderate levels we listened to they produced gobs of bass. Unfortunately I couldn't stay long enough to listen to an A/B with Salk Song Tower QWTs.

The NrT upgrade for the Sierra-1 is subtle but I have kits on order. The new tweeter produces a bit more detail and according to Dave extends even higher. Imaging seems a bit more forward and the sound a bit airier.

Between weather and traffic I've spent over 5 hours on the road today but I'll try to add a bit more later.
At one point, with the pair, we were doing 105dB peaks with no problems.

The bass coherence and integration seemed better than the previous version of the tower I heard, and maybe a bit cleaner. Could have also been psychological.

I only took a few pics with my phone....here's one:

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis