Ascend CMT-340's or Sierra-1's?... Another post looking for help with a decision.

P

Peilers

Audioholic Intern
Hi all!
I am setting up a new addition to the house and Think that I've narrowed down the choice of main speakers but am still open to any other suggestions. Right now I am thinking of the Ascend CMT-340's or the Sierra 1's. This will be for both music, ranging from rock and roll to classical, as well as home theater use... probably more emphasis on the HT. It's a fairly large room, 22x35 with a vaulted 9.5' ceiling. I'll pair them up with a center channel and an SVS sub. and will be looking for some rear surround suggestions as well. They will be driven by a Yamaha RX-V 575 with a possible amp coming later.

My wife of course wants something small and unobtrusive like the Bose cubes, but she know's how I feel about Bose and has resigned herself to knowing there will be something bigger here. I looked at the KEF LS-50's. They are nice and compact and, though I'm not wild about the looks of the gold driver, it sounds like they are incredible and compact speakers... but they are a bit out of my $1000 range.

Price is a concern and am wondering if the additional cost of the Sierra's will be justified when most of the time it will be for HT use. I have a nice KEF system downstairs that gets most of the music played on it. I was leaning towards the CMT-340's because of the description states they were designed for a large area. I don't have many options to audition higher end speakers in my area so, like many, have to go by reviews and reports from others experiences. I've been pouring over this decicsion for a while now and am ready to pull the trigger.

Thanks for helping out!!
Pat

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
If price is an issue then I believe the CMT-340's will meet your needs well. They do a very good job in large rooms. That said, yours is quite big! If your seating distance isn't outrageous and reference level isn't a goal then they will work well. Otherwise you may wish to continue looking, however in this price range a more efficient reference-level speaker is going to be difficult to find.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
$1000 for pair of speakers or for the whole ht audio?
Keep in mind that for great HT experience you'd need one serious sub to be able to be effective in your very large room and these don't go cheap
Another thing is that small speakers in very large room are useless
please provide more info about your budget

p.s: RX-V575 does not have pre-amp so adding amp later is not an option with that model.

P

Peilers

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the reply guys,
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The $1000 budget is for the speakers (main) I'd like to spend no more than $3000, give or take, for the whole 5.1 sound system including receiver. I don't mind leaving out the rears for now to get something I can grow into if that's a better way to go. I was mistaken on the RX-V575. May have to look for another model that I can grow with.
I was thinking roughly -
~$1000 for the mains
~$500 for the center
~$600 for the sub
~$600-700 for the reciever
~$3-400 for the rears
... or however it should be broken down.

The room sounds huge when I say it like that, but it is reclaimed attic space and the total square footage I stated includes a bathroom and closet (so we can subtract ~100sq/ft). Also, the ceiling goes from 9.5' to 6' at the sides, so the room feels smaller than one with average 8' ceiling ht.

I know that what I'm trying to do isn't ideal, but I'm trying to make the space as multifunctional as I can. I just don't have another place in the house for a theater... rest of the house is quite small. This is not only my office/studio but will be somewhere my wife and I can watch movies. When I'm working or relaxing from here, I'd like to be able to have the mains set up to provide great sound in my seating area and decent 5.1 HT experience for movie nights. I have an SVS SB12-NSD downstairs in the living room and was thinking of adding another up here... Been pretty happy with the performance of that little sub. I'd like to go bigger, but as you mentioned, they get quite expensive. I think I might add another small sub down the road to get more oomph if need be. We typically don't listen at reference levels anymore, but do tend to crank it up some times.

Hope this helps to make things as clear as mud :D

I sure appreciate your efforts!

P

Peilers

Audioholic Intern
Was also looking at the KEF Q-series, but not sure if the 500's would do the trick and the 900's are pricey.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In this case I think going with Ascend for 5.0 is a smart choice.

<input type="submit" value="Remove">9CB17SBM2 *** Sale: CBM-170 SE pair<input type="text" name="Quantity" size="1" value="1"> <input type="submit" value="Update">$298.00$298.00
<input type="submit" value="Remove">9CM34SBM2 CMT-340 SE mains<input type="text" name="Quantity" size="1" value="1"> <input type="submit" value="Update">$568.00$568.00
<input type="submit" value="Remove">9CM34SBM1 CMT-340 SE center<input type="text" name="Quantity" size="1" value="1"> <input type="submit" value="Update">$298.00$298.00
<input type="submit" value="Remove">9TP24BM2 Pedestal Stands /pr<input type="text" name="Quantity" size="1" value="1"> <input type="submit" value="Update">$180.00$180.00
<input type="submit" value="Remove">1FV15HPBO Rythmik FV15HP 600 watt vented Servo Sub, black oak<input type="text" name="Quantity" size="1" value="1"> <input type="submit" value="Update">$1,274.00$1,274.00
Loudspeaker Package Discount:($96.00)

<tbody>
</tbody>
TP-24 Stand Discount:($40.00)

<tbody>
</tbody>
Subwoofer Discount:($63.70)

<tbody>
</tbody>
Total:$2,418.30

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

This leaves you about $500-600 for AVR. This one will do fine:
DENON AVR-3312CI 7.2 Network A/V Surround Receiver w/AirPlay | Accessories4less

Last edited by a moderator:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
So $3000 for the entire system, that actually isn't a terrible budget...

I would get this..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item[URL="http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/newreply.php?p=979650&noquote=1"]+ Reply to Thread=N82E16882117412R&Tpk=1222%20pioneer[/URL] open box, these are about all gone...

For speakers I would go 340s for the fronts and 200s for the surrounds, for the money I think they are the best bet, I have the same setup in a larger room and they have no trouble filling the space, actually they are pretty effortless.... that costs about $1030 with no stands for the fronts and I think the stands are around $100....

Next for the subs, I use a single vtf2 and it is way more than we need, it has no trouble shaking the entire house {we are over 4000 sq feet, of new construction and it makes stuff fall off walls with ease}. But if you go with the above speakers and avr you will have enough in your budget to get VTF-3 MK4 DualDrive Package and that will blow away my system, I just can't imagine it....

This would also be a decent setup...
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.SR SURROUND SPEAKERS (BLACK) **DEMO** at Music Direct surrounds
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.5 (BLACK) **DEMO** at Music Direct front left and right or cheaper here if you dont mind ebay Wharfedale Diamond 10 5 Black Pair Free Shipping 703340285648 | eBay
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10 CS CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER (EA) at Music Direct center

if you can go with towers, I have heard all of them components and they are VERY capable, warm ,clear, loud, and built like tanks... Wharfedale doesn't get a lot of attention in the US, but they are amazing... Them are my two picks for HT's in that price range either the ascends 340s or the Diamond 10.5 with at least the 10cs center {they have another larger center that sounds goo with the 10.5s too for about $150 more...}...

T

TheLaw612

Audioholic Intern

<input value="Remove" type="submit">9CB17SBM2 *** Sale: CBM-170 SE pair<input name="Quantity" size="1" value="1" type="text"> <input value="Update" type="submit">$298.00$298.00
<input value="Remove" type="submit">9CM34SBM2 CMT-340 SE mains<input name="Quantity" size="1" value="1" type="text"> <input value="Update" type="submit">$568.00$568.00
<input value="Remove" type="submit">9CM34SBM1 CMT-340 SE center<input name="Quantity" size="1" value="1" type="text"> <input value="Update" type="submit">$298.00$298.00
<input value="Remove" type="submit">9TP24BM2 Pedestal Stands /pr<input name="Quantity" size="1" value="1" type="text"> <input value="Update" type="submit">$180.00$180.00
<input value="Remove" type="submit">1FV15HPBO Rythmik FV15HP 600 watt vented Servo Sub, black oak<input name="Quantity" size="1" value="1" type="text"> <input value="Update" type="submit">$1,274.00$1,274.00

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

+1 This set-up will be absolutely fantastic.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
+1 This set-up will be absolutely fantastic.
I dont see a reason for the 170 surrounds, they are a large bookshelf to try and hang or stand in the sides... I own both and have tried both and can say I like the 200s better...

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
The only thing I will mention is that the 340s are supposed to be a fabulous speaker sonically, but they are ugly as sin aesthetically. You mentioned your wife had some concerns about that, so you may want to rethink the Sierras based on that alone. I would also agree that the 200's are a better choice for surrounds as well.

if you're open to other options,you may want to consider the Aperion Verus bookshelves as well. People swing back and forth here on which is the better speaker soi don't think you can really go wrong with either choice sonically - just a matter of what fits your budget and design aesthetics better.

P

Peilers

Audioholic Intern

<input type="submit" value="Remove">9CB17SBM2 *** Sale: CBM-170 SE pair<input type="text" name="Quantity" size="1" value="1"> <input type="submit" value="Update">$298.00$298.00
<input type="submit" value="Remove">9CM34SBM2 CMT-340 SE mains<input type="text" name="Quantity" size="1" value="1"> <input type="submit" value="Update">$568.00$568.00
<input type="submit" value="Remove">9CM34SBM1 CMT-340 SE center<input type="text" name="Quantity" size="1" value="1"> <input type="submit" value="Update">$298.00$298.00
<input type="submit" value="Remove">9TP24BM2 Pedestal Stands /pr<input type="text" name="Quantity" size="1" value="1"> <input type="submit" value="Update">$180.00$180.00
<input type="submit" value="Remove">1FV15HPBO Rythmik FV15HP 600 watt vented Servo Sub, black oak<input type="text" name="Quantity" size="1" value="1"> <input type="submit" value="Update">$1,274.00$1,274.00

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks BoredSysAdmin!!
Appreciate you putting that together for me. I'll probably go with that system, but like has been mentioned, would probably change to the 200's for the rears. Will look in to the sub... sounds like a killer!

One of the things I was hoping to do with the AVR, is to have 4K passthrough or even upscaling to futureproof any new purchases in the next 5-10 years. The Denon AVR-3313 looks like it will take care of that end and then some.

P

Peilers

Audioholic Intern
So $3000 for the entire system, that actually isn't a terrible budget...

I would get this..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item+ Reply to Thread=N82E16882117412R&Tpk=1222%20pioneer open box, these are about all gone...

For speakers I would go 340s for the fronts and 200s for the surrounds, for the money I think they are the best bet, I have the same setup in a larger room and they have no trouble filling the space, actually they are pretty effortless.... that costs about $1030 with no stands for the fronts and I think the stands are around $100....

Next for the subs, I use a single vtf2 and it is way more than we need, it has no trouble shaking the entire house {we are over 4000 sq feet, of new construction and it makes stuff fall off walls with ease}. But if you go with the above speakers and avr you will have enough in your budget to get VTF-3 MK4 DualDrive Package and that will blow away my system, I just can't imagine it....

This would also be a decent setup...
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.SR SURROUND SPEAKERS (BLACK) **DEMO** at Music Direct surrounds
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.5 (BLACK) **DEMO** at Music Direct front left and right or cheaper here if you dont mind ebay Wharfedale Diamond 10 5 Black Pair Free Shipping 703340285648 | eBay
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10 CS CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER (EA) at Music Direct center

if you can go with towers, I have heard all of them components and they are VERY capable, warm ,clear, loud, and built like tanks... Wharfedale doesn't get a lot of attention in the US, but they are amazing... Them are my two picks for HT's in that price range either the ascends 340s or the Diamond 10.5 with at least the 10cs center {they have another larger center that sounds goo with the 10.5s too for about $150 more...}...

Thanks Imcloud!
The Pioneer doesn't have 4K passthrough or upscaling so I hadn't looked too seriously at that one.

Good to hear about the VTF2 doing what you need. I had thought long and hard between that and the SVS when I had gotten my SVS. I know HSU does a great job with their subs... going to look at them again. Not sure I would go with the VTF-3 MK4 pkg... I have too many windows in this room and don't care to break them :D

I've heard great things about the Wharfdales too. I have to strike a balance with size and aesthetics as well as performance and my wife hates the look of speakers without grills... they stand out too much. I personally like it though.

P

Peilers

Audioholic Intern
The only thing I will mention is that the 340s are supposed to be a fabulous speaker sonically, but they are ugly as sin aesthetically. You mentioned your wife had some concerns about that, so you may want to rethink the Sierras based on that alone. I would also agree that the 200's are a better choice for surrounds as well.

if you're open to other options,you may want to consider the Aperion Verus bookshelves as well. People swing back and forth here on which is the better speaker soi don't think you can really go wrong with either choice sonically - just a matter of what fits your budget and design aesthetics better.

I know what you mean tmunin,
I think they could look better too. but they are solid black with grills and will blend in a bit better than some of the other options I was looking at. I do like the piano black finish of the Sierras but are they worth the extra $$ for the space I have and my use?... not sure?

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Only you can decide that. Also, the Sierras are more of a classic bookshelf while i believe the CMTs are quite a bit larger - almost a mini-tower. Again, both are supposed to be great speakers sonically, so you need to decide what works better with your decor (and your wife). For me, I couldn't get past the look of the cmt's but wasn't ready to spend the $$ on the Sierras, which is why I went with the Aperion Verus Grand bookshelves, but that's a purely personal choice.

P

Peilers

Audioholic Intern
Ok, it official... I've just been thrown back into analysis paralysis. I had looked at Aperions but didn't know much about them. Unfortunately this decision is made all the more difficult because of the fact that I can't audition my main choices. Filling a room this large is one of my main concerns (second only to quality of sound) which is why I was thinking towers would be a better choice than bookshelfs on a stand. Like the look of the Aperion 5T's and they seem to have good things said about them... as well as in the budget.

tmunin.. What size room do you have your Verus Grand bookshelves in?

I'm going to drive my self mad :)

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
The grands are in a room 18 x 15 and I'm very happy, but I don't typically listen at extreme volume levels.

didnt mean to try and talk you out of the Ascends - they really are supposed to be a great sounding speaker, and the Sierras look great as well. I went through a lot of this same process myself - looked at Ascend, Axiom, Aperion as well as some non-Internet speakers. Ultimately, I decided to try Aperion because they seemed to have the best price/performance combo of the three, and because of the free shipping on both purchase and return if I didn't like them. Figured I could try them first - if I loved them, they were priced right. If I didn't, I could return them for no additional cost and move on to the Ascends. I ended up liking them quite a bit so never moved on.

The 340s have a lot of supporters here, so you might call Ascend and see if they have a local customer in your area who would let you look and listen to them before you buy. That way you have a clear picture of what you're getting. I believe Ascend has a pretty good rep for working with people that way as well.

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
Thanks BoredSysAdmin!!
One of the things I was hoping to do with the AVR, is to have 4K passthrough or even upscaling to futureproof any new purchases in the next 5-10 years. The Denon AVR-3313 looks like it will take care of that end and then some.
All of the 2012 Denon CI models have 4k upscaling. The 3313 is a great choice if it fits your budget, but from features and power output, the 2113ci or 2313ci will work as well for less money.

P

Peilers

Audioholic Intern
The grands are in a room 18 x 15 and I'm very happy, but I don't typically listen at extreme volume levels.

The 340s have a lot of supporters here, so you might call Ascend and see if they have a local customer in your area who would let you look and listen to them before you buy. That way you have a clear picture of what you're getting. I believe Ascend has a pretty good rep for working with people that way as well.
Great idea! Didn't think to try that!

P

Peilers

Audioholic Intern
All of the 2012 Denon CI models have 4k upscaling. The 3313 is a great choice if it fits your budget, but from features and power output, the 2113ci or 2313ci will work as well for less money.
I just noticed this last night as I was going through other choices... Thanks!

P

Peilers

Audioholic Intern
Just ordered the Sierra-1's L/C/R. Will add the CM-200's for surrounds. I'm still working on the sub. I want the FV15-hp that was mentioned by BoredSysAdmin, but after mocking the size up to get my wife's approval and getting that look, I'm curious about the E15HP. Can't find many reviews on that one. It's not that much bigger than the SB12 I have downstairs and I haven't gotten any objections over the size of that. My Room is about 5500 cu/ft. All hardwood floors and hard walls/windows. it will be for 60% HT and 40% music.

Any one have any experience with it vs. the FV15?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis