NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, 22Hz seems like a stretch ... as for the sub connections, the system comes with a wireless sub, but there are 2 sub out connections on the back, so it is designed with the ability to add another sub, can’t confirm what the compatibility is tho
Ahh, I didn't see a model number so couldn't check. Sorry if I missed that.

That’s sneaky...
Gotta do what you gotta do...

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
Isn't the male preening for the audioholic the speaker size? Tell sig. other that big speakers will make you feel more manly!
Borrowed these pics fore reference, but this is truly the biggest I could possibly go:
9950B9F3-7320-4DAD-B9DB-E7AA97DA3B10.jpeg
9F6091DF-99AF-4651-9C17-92EE9A54EDBD.jpeg
5CA721AA-24D2-46BA-9F0B-404316F3922D.jpeg
D9AB9E00-2ADB-4646-A28F-D0A9644D8823.jpeg

Soundman

Soundman

I took a look at the Ascend sale a little closer. The 340’s I believe would work well for a HT setup. I was thinking of going with a pair of 340’s + the 340 center and forgo getting surrounds for now. But when I factor in shipping, etc, I’m noticing the Sierra 1 package ( left, right and center channels) are only about $200 more. But are the Sierra 1’s worth the upgrade? Or are you paying for the better finish, etc. It was mentioned that if upgrading Ascends, you are better off waiting and going for Sierra 2’s. I’m not able to spend that much right now so that is not an option. Also, as far as placement, the Sierra 1’s do have the same footprint as the 340’s so they could work. One negative would be that I know the 340’s can play much louder than the Sierras. Also, it was mentioned that the Sierra 1’s are warmer than the 340’s. If anyone has any experience with both of these, let me know your thoughts.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Order both and hear for yourself. Return the ones you don't like and order the Center.

Also the Sierra-1's have an upgrade available NrT upgrade tweeter

Soundman

Soundman

Order both and hear for yourself. Return the ones you don't like and order the Center.

Also the Sierra-1's have an upgrade available NrT upgrade tweeter
That could get expensive, due to shipping charges. Shipping is about $132 for the 340’s and a little less for Sierras. Shipping is not refundable, not to mention return shipping.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I took a look at the Ascend sale a little closer. The 340’s I believe would work well for a HT setup. I was thinking of going with a pair of 340’s + the 340 center and forgo getting surrounds for now. But when I factor in shipping, etc, I’m noticing the Sierra 1 package ( left, right and center channels) are only about $200 more. But are the Sierra 1’s worth the upgrade? Or are you paying for the better finish, etc. It was mentioned that if upgrading Ascends, you are better off waiting and going for Sierra 2’s. I’m not able to spend that much right now so that is not an option. Also, as far as placement, the Sierra 1’s do have the same footprint as the 340’s so they could work. One negative would be that I know the 340’s can play much louder than the Sierras. Also, it was mentioned that the Sierra 1’s are warmer than the 340’s. If anyone has any experience with both of these, let me know your thoughts.
There are third-party measurements for both speakers. Neither speaker measures perfectly but the Sierra 1s are more neutral. Also, the 340s carry all the problems associated with horizontal MTMs. They probably have more dynamic range the the Sierra 1s, but will have poor off-axis response as a center. Plus, they will have narrow vertical dispersion as upright left/rights. You would have to be mindful of their compromises in setting them up.

As for the Sierra 1s, a same-priced speaker that I think is better is the Outlaw Audio BLSv2. It looks to be more accurate. As for the Sierra 2EXs, at that point I would just spend slightly more and get some Philharmonic BMR Philharmonitors. That is an extremely accurate speaker with crazy low extension. The Revel M106s can also be had for the same price and are really good.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
There are third-party measurements for both speakers. Neither speaker measures perfectly but the Sierra 1s are more neutral. Also, the 340s carry all the problems associated with horizontal MTMs. They probably have more dynamic range the the Sierra 1s, but will have poor off-axis response as a center. Plus, they will have narrow vertical dispersion as upright left/rights. You would have to be mindful of their compromises in setting them up.

As for the Sierra 1s, a same-priced speaker that I think is better is the Outlaw Audio BLSv2. It looks to be more accurate. As for the Sierra 2EXs, at that point I would just spend slightly more and get some Philharmonic BMR Philharmonitors. That is an extremely accurate speaker with crazy low extension. The Revel M106s can also be had for the same price and are really good.
The new $1700 BMRs are hard to beat. They offer an amazing clarity and a bass extension I have not experienced in a bookshelf. Once you spend a month with the BMRs it's hard to listen to anything else without mentally comparing what you're missing.

I really like them in a medium size room about 9' away from the listening area and 3' feet away from the rear wall. Once I moved them away from the rear wall they really opened up and began to sing!

Soundman

Soundman

Not sure about the Outlaw. What about the center channel? This is for home theatre so that center channel is most important, imo. Some of the others you mentioned may put me outside of my budget. A higher sensitivity speaker appeals to me for HT. That’s what I like about the 340’s, and smaller than a tower

Soundman

Soundman

The WOW wasn't for you
Oh, I must have misunderstood you then. Any more thoughts on this? I was trying to keep it at, $1,000 total for mains plus center channel. I could go a little higher if the price/ performance ratio is justified, but definitely can’t go above $1,500. I’m not concerned about surrounds right now. I can get the Ascend 340’s and center with the stands and shipping for right at $1,000. There seems to be some negativity around the Sierra 1’s for some reason, but I can get them for about $12,00 shipped

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Sierra-1's are excellent speakers. Ascend doesn't make a bad speaker. The biggest difference to me between the Sierra-1 and the 340 is the Clarity the top end.

Call them and talk to Dave/Dina and ask them their thoughts on your situation

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Oh, I must have misunderstood you then. Any more thoughts on this? I was trying to keep it at, $1,000 total for mains plus center channel. I could go a little higher if the price/ performance ratio is justified, but definitely can’t go above $1,500. I’m not concerned about surrounds right now. I can get the Ascend 340’s and center with the stands and shipping for right at $1,000. There seems to be some negativity around the Sierra 1’s for some reason, but I can get them for about $12,00 shipped
Take a look at the Wharfedale Evo 4.2. $1K/pair. The center is pretty expensive but it's a large 3 way design and probably worth it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just an idea for you, and these are what moved my Ascends into my bedroom from my big main area, are the JBL studio 5s, currently on sale for $1000/pr for the 590s, better bass extension as well as fairly sensitive/easy to drive. OTOH their 520C center is a bit on the small side (but I find it works well enough).

ps I also had done the NrT upgrade on the Sierra-1; the base model is what I'd buy if not saving up for the Sierra2 or Sierra Towers.

Soundman

Soundman

Just an idea for you, and these are what moved my Ascends into my bedroom from my big main area, are the JBL studio 5s, currently on sale for $1000/pr for the 590s, better bass extension as well as fairly sensitive/easy to drive. OTOH their 520C center is a bit on the small side (but I find it works well enough).

ps I also had done the NrT upgrade on the Sierra-1; the base model is what I'd buy if not saving up for the Sierra2 or Sierra Towers.
I looked at the 590’s but I think they are a little too big for this space unfortunately. That’s why I was looking at ones with a slightly smaller footprint. The Sierra tower has a small footprint but Unfortunately a big price tag.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I looked at the 590’s but I think they are a little too big for this space unfortunately. That’s why I was looking at ones with a slightly smaller footprint. The Sierra tower has a small footprint but Unfortunately a big price tag.
Compared to the Sierra1s on stands the footprint isn't all that different, a bit deeper and taller for the 590s (and heavier and harder to move around :) ). In a larger room I just found the Sierra1s a bit weak, but they're awesome in my smallish bedroom (use the 170SEs for surrounds). The 580s are a smaller footprint and $740 the pair and with a sub would work very nicely I'd think....I use them as surrounds in my main room (530s for rear surrounds). @KEW for some comments on his 580s.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis