haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I went through some sites and it's claimed that everything in the Arendal Sound speakers is developed in-house. It is stated that the waveguide is there to control the off axis response down to the x-over so that the dispersion of the tweeter and the midrange is very close at the crossover.

It's claimed that they will get more even dispersion characteristics from mid to tweeter with the low crossover point and that it makes the job easier for the mid. Also claimed that this makes the sweet spot wider.

It is further stated that the speakers are tested with 200 watts pink noise for 24 hours, and the tweeter has no issues with this...

Cabinets from HDF with up to 50mm thick walls !

The products come with 10 year warranty, 5 years on electronics

Source: lydogbilde.no
This is not my opinion but what is stated at lydogbilde.no

https://translate.google.no/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http://www.lydogbilde.no/nyheter/hoyttalere/vil-sette-ny-standard-i-hjemmekinoen&edit-text=&act=url

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
There 12 full forum pages written on Norwegian forum hifisentralen.no, just don't have the time to go through in-depth...

It's stated, however that the Arendal sub 3 is at least matching Kreisel DXD-12012 and is a clear step up from SVS PC 13 Ultra... I can't claim for the credibility of this but it's some individual's opinions after a quick walkthrough, it seems the sub 3 has insane dynamic capabilities ...

This is not my opinion but statements from hifisentralen.no

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The man studied marketing, no doubt there!

My apologies, I am simply a natural skeptic. But I think the design work of your Kestrel 2's would trounce the Arendal's, particularly with the mid to high frequencies!
Sorry to derail again:

The work on the Kestrel 2's is stunning, and the engraved details with pure hardwood Cherry... I actually spoke an hour on the phone with Pat Mc Ginty and after that I just had to buy... It was the one set of speakers that I liked...

The two issues with the Kestrel 2's is that you really need to crank them up in volume before they let loose, wonder if it's just some physical properties of the Peerless 6.5" HDS drivers... and they are sometimes just too bright ... in my house ... but when you get them correctly set up, playing loud, spiked properly on a granite shelf ... it's way nice :p
As stated before in other threads, I prefer the Meadowlark Kestrel2 to B&W 802d...

My wife loves what the Kestrel 2's do, one day she was at home listening to Belarussian artist Didula, quite loud, and it was so amazing she had to call me immidiately and thank me for giving her that incredible musical experience :cool:

I was really sorry to see Meadowlark go out of business, everything McGinty did was proudly handmade in US... McGinty said he couldn't go on because the market in US wanted cheap Chinese made products rather than his US made products... I'm not stating this as a fact, it was just Pat McGinty's words...

Really bad because at that time I believe Pat McGinty was working on a cost-no-object series using the absolutely best drivers possible to get, at any cost... and speakers that would significantly supersede his previous designs... The world never got to see his next speaker-series...

does anyone know what happened to Pat McGinty?
After Meadowlark audio went down it's like he disappeared from the surface of the earth

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry to derail again:

The work on the Kestrel 2's is stunning, and the engraved details with pure hardwood Cherry... I actually spoke an hour on the phone with Pat Mc Ginty and after that I just had to buy... It was the one set of speakers that I liked...

The two issues with the Kestrel 2's is that you really need to crank them up in volume before they let loose, wonder if it's just some physical properties of the Peerless 6.5" HDS drivers... and they are sometimes just too bright ... in my house ... but when you get them correctly set up, playing loud, spiked properly on a granite shelf ... it's way nice :p
As stated before in other threads, I prefer the Meadowlark Kestrel2 to B&W 802d...

My wife loves what the Kestrel 2's do, one day she was at home listening to Belarussian artist Didula, quite loud, and it was so amazing she had to call me immidiately and thank me for giving her that incredible musical experience :cool:

I was really sorry to see Meadowlark go out of business, everything McGinty did was proudly handmade in US... McGinty said he couldn't go on because the market in US wanted cheap Chinese made products rather than his US made products... I'm not stating this as a fact, it was just Pat McGinty's words...

Really bad because at that time I believe Pat McGinty was working on a cost-no-object series using the absolutely best drivers possible to get, at any cost... and speakers that would significantly supersede his previous designs... The world never got to see his next speaker-series...

does anyone know what happened to Pat McGinty?
After Meadowlark audio went down it's like he disappeared from the surface of the earth

Retirement?

I did a review on the Philharmonic 3's, as I was so impressed by the work Dennis Murphy did, I wanted to try and help bolster sales anyway I could! There's almost no reviews of these speakers out there. But it sounds like Dennis and Pat would be two peas in a pod!

The unfortunate truth, when you're dealing with an uneducated public as large as ours is, flashy marketing has continued to triumph.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Philharmonic 3's look grazy good :p
do they perform as well as they look?

Although, ribbons have not always been my sort of thing...

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Philharmonic 3's look grazy good :p
do they perform as well as they look?

Although, ribbons have not always been my sort of thing...
You've not heard music until you've heard it played on a pair of Phil 3's!

I've had little experience with ribbons or even AMT's, but the combination of RAAL 70-10D and planar mid range offers the most accurate reproduction I've heard. They are quite adjustable, in that the open back cabinet may have varying amounts of stuffing. And the tweeter has a pair of absorber pads that limit dispersion. I run these completely open, which on measurement, has the tweeters 'hot' at 1m, but according to Dennis, there is something in the wave launch that has the high frequencies reaching your ear without causing the slightest bit of fatigue at ANY volume!

Due to a damaged vestibular nerve, my hearing can be painfully sensitive which reinforces my love for this ribbon! Did a side by side with Focal Solo 6 Be and a pair of 8 inch subs (can't get a closer comparison than that!) and was amazed at how well the Focal's compared. Obviously the bass was sloppy without employing a similar ScanSpeak driver. But the mids and highs were very comparable! Whether I end up buying this pair, or begging Dennis to sell me parts, I think my loudspeaker search is over!

Now to get good bass in an open floor plan living room with high ceiling!

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
You're not the only one raving about these speakers :cool:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
You've not heard music until you've heard it played on a pair of Phil 3's!.....
I've been to Musicverein in Vienna... where they do the new year concerts... for a live concert there
I guess that qualifies as "hearing music" :D

Only one word: Stunning :D

A

ARENDAL - RUSSELL

Audiophyte
Good evening to you all. :)

Having checked the forum guidelines and because I'm going to be clear about who I am and where I'm from, I don't think I'm breaking any rules by posting on here.

I was a frequent contributor on the UK forum AVForums.com, before being coopted into contributing as a reviewer of speakers, subwoofers and the occasional amplifier (didn't really like doing those, though) which I did so happily for about 4 years. Latterly, L-Sound invited me to join them, as they are the European distributor for Ken Kreisel ATi Amplifiers & SVS (to name but three) and my 'journalism' background gave them a 'known' face in the UK.

It also paid a bit (which helps) but let me make this clear; it is not even close to being my full time job. That is in an industry that is about as far removed from AV as it is possible to get. I'm certainly not the beneficiary of any PR training, but I can write, mostly because I like words a bit. That's me, in a nutshell.

Arendal Sound was born out of a late night Skype three-way. There was bemoaning surrounding the fickle nature of manufacturers that either chopped and changed your territory at will, or just failed to pony up products that either suited our markets, on time and crucially, our own personal desires. No names, no pack drill, before you ask!

I suggested that the obvious way to circumvent such annoyance was to roll our own. Long story short: we drew on our own experience of what products sold best for us (we are a business, after all) what our customers were asking us for (which was a more coherent list of suggestions than might be imagined) and then set this against a list of what we (three) wanted from speakers and subs. Most of this is on the website and in the handbook, but the key points I labour are that we wanted to base the designs around established electro-acoustic principles, be built to last and have no plastic, except where it was completely unavoidable. that last one, is just because we don't like it- end of!

Obviously, we're the money and the drive behind Arendal Sound and as is completely usual (if you can afford to) we have a design/manufacturing partner who is one of those surprisingly large manufacturers, that nobody has ever heard of. Despite their size and technical capability and as the Kurt Muller tweeter diaphragm demonstrates, there is no point in trying to reinvent something that somebody else already does spectacularly well. Of course, a diaphragm does not a tweeter make, any more than a fancy pants motor, but we did have the in-house capability to custom build every other component specific to our application. This could also be claimed by any number of known-worldwide manufacturers, so we're not trying to kid anybody that we're different - Just that the end result is not off-the-shelf. we are not box stuffers.

We spec'd it, they made it, we listened to it, stuff was redesigned, back and forth for a couple of years, etc, etc. We know we've got something we're very happy to own, your ears can decide for you.

That's the nuts and bolts, but there are a few points raised in the thread that bear technical clarification:

A waveguide absolutely does allow a tweeter to be crossed much lower AND lower distortion AND smooth dispersion over it's entire pass-band AND provide a smoother power response - the latter is the sum of the frequency responses over a wide vertical and horizontal listening window. It is absolutely key to how room independent a speaker is and how well off-axis listeners are served. Don't take my word for it (Or that of KEF, Genelec, Amphion, Earl Geddes, etc) have a look at the decade old experiments done by the estimably independent John 'Zaph' Krutke here and then what he did with it here.

Note how a tweeter and waveguide (they're not horns) that were never designed with each other in mind perform together. With the crossover in place and despite the lower crossover point used, you could add a nought the the price of that tweeter and still not achieve those levels of distortion at the bottom end. Bear in mind that virtually all of a tweeters character (not that I think character is desirable) is dictated by it's distortion profile, which is most prominent and audible, at it's bottom end. Also note that as the tweeter is set back to approximately the same acoustic off-set as the partnering mid-bass driver, off axis integration is simplified and as a result, so is the crossover.

Now, imagine you can make your own much larger tweeter (increases output) with a custom made waveguide to suit (thus dealing with the narrower dispersion) and it was, in our book, a no brainer. the more you look at it, the more you question why anybody would ever stick a tweeter flat on a baffle.

I hope that sheds some light on why you can't judge a tweeter by it's look, visually apparent materials, cost, who makes it, who designed it and why established hi-fi/AV dogma isn't necessarily a good reason to continue doing anything! Others can and will make their own choices, but this is what we arrived at with a clean sheet and no 'heritage'.

Regarding subwoofer break-in. I didn't really believe in it either. I always assumed the running in process was as much about the user getting used to and optimally tuning the positioning of a new subwoofer. Thus, the running in was a combination of factors.

But having used, reviewed, measured (and built) 40+ subwoofers, along the way I've met a few designs/drivers that definitely do loosen up and it's nearly always to do with the spider, rather than the roll surround. Some are stiffer than others and do take a bit more of a hammering to ease off. It's neither good nor bad. It just is.

One final point - As we seem to be getting a lot of enquires from your side of The Pond (appreciating there are plenty of EU contributors on here) we are currently trying to sort out US pricing.

Like I say, I hope I haven't contravened any forum rules and this is OUR take on what we wanted a speaker range to do - It's not a comment on how others want to, or should do theirs. That's what makes speakers so interesting; the differences between speakers are orders of magnitude greater than any other component. There's far greater room for personal taste, not to mention what your room does with the 50% of the sound that doesn't travel directly to your ears.

Cheers,

Russell Williams
Arendal Sound (and speaker nut)

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Russell, thanks for stopping by and providing first hand information about your products. I hope Arendal is able to establish US distribution so the folks on this side of the pond get the opportunity to hear them.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
.... My only contribution is that I find it hard to believe anything good came from "a late night Skype three-way."

:eek:

A

Arendal - Jan

Audiophyte
Hi Jon,

Arendal Sound is made on thorough planning for many years. As the owner of Arendal Sound and L-Sound, I have been planning this for many years with my team. It was just the timing for us now that made us step up to the task. Its true, there was a late night Skype call internally, out of so many. Discussion before, and after. It would be impossible to invest and launch a brand like this just because a Skype call.

I understand your thoughts and so do we have for anything which is launched; "Yet another brand". However I hope you can experience our products yourself some time in the future, and I hope you can come to me personally to let me what you think.

We are very different in how we run our business compared to most other manufacturers as we approach things differently. Some may like it and some might not, which is what we expect. :)

I wish everyone a great week and keep up the activity! You will see more of us in the future!

Best Regards,
Jan @ Arendal Sound

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis