Arendal 1961 Towers

S

svanos

Audiophyte
I grabbed a pair of the 1961 Arendal towers in white last week for $1250 and they arrived yesterday. About to start unboxing and listening now. Wish I could have afforded a pair of the 1723's. These will only be used for music in a 25 x 12 (left/right x front/rear) room. Any opinions on how the 1961's would compare to SVS Ultra Towers, especially in mids and highs? Will be powering with a Parasound Halo A21+, Denafrips ladder DAC, and a McIntosh C28 preamp. Thinking about selling my restored Thorens 124 table to afford a pair of the 1723's before price increase end of this month.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW to help out here's the 1961 vs the two 1723 spec comparison https://arendalsound.com/compare-speakers/?a=1961-tower&b=1723-tower-s-thx&c=1723-tower-thx#

You could look at available measurements:

Maybe @shadyJ can offer his advice.

Curious, why are you set up with speakers along the long wall? If the better speakers are important, why did you spend so much on those particular electronics?

Last edited:
S

svanos

Audiophyte
FWIW to help out here's the 1961 vs the two 1723 spec comparison

You could look at available measurements:

Maybe @shadyJ can offer his advice.

Curious, why are you set up with speakers along the long wall? If the better speakers are important, why did you spend so much on those particular electronics?
My 'room' is a finished basement. The actual size of it is 32x33 square. Pretty much in the center (but not exactly) is a square column which houses the stairs which come down to a 3x4 foot landing and then go down 6 steps are right angle to that. One wall has a kitchenette, wall at foot of stairs has built in bookcases, the next wall has 2 windows and a lower ceiling in the middle due to AC ducts and beam. So that leaves wall #4. It has a walkout door on the left with entry way and that leaves about 24-25 feet down that wall. From the wall back to the center stair column is about 12 feet. Down at the right end is a closet door and a hallway to bath and a door into the AC/furnace.

I'm retired and can't afford commercial speakers over $2K. Also, I almost finished building a pair of Creative Sound Solutions towers, and I have a pair of Solstice speakers with Morel drivers I built from Parts Express kit, and I have 2 large pairs of older Polk SDA speakers which I'm rebuilding the crossovers in. I wanted to see if my DIY endeavors can be beaten by something commercial which I don't have to build or rework. I have following equipment: Amps - McIntosh MC2105, Fisher SA2000 monster 6550 tube amp, McIntosh C28 preamp with upgraded op amps, Parasound Halo A21+, Buckeye Amps Class D Purifi stereo amp, Akitika amp I built, a Yamaha AS801 integrated and various other vintage tube amps. DAC: Denafrips ladder DAC and Geshelli Lab DAC. And a lot of music ripped to FLAC on an SSD hard drive. Oh, and a Music Hall 9 turntable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis