Are you people all nuts??

L

Laminarman

Audiophyte
So I'm new here, this is my first post. Are you telling me that regular old cable like from Blue Jean will hold a candle to my bi-wired Cardas cables or in fact be as good for audiophile type listening?? Wow, it's refreshing to see some common sense in the audio world after all the bull**** I see being thrown at us. Seriously I thought the Cardas did sound better than several other cables I tried, and I picked them up used at a decent price, so I'm happy, they're heavy and attractive. But thanks for this great forum and the advice I see posted. I'm not sure where to separate the hype from reality half the time and this place seems like a start!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
So I'm new here, this is my first post. Are you telling me that regular old cable like from Blue Jean will hold a candle to my bi-wired Cardas cables or in fact be as good for audiophile type listening?? Wow, it's refreshing to see some common sense in the audio world after all the bull**** I see being thrown at us. Seriously I thought the Cardas did sound better than several other cables I tried, and I picked them up used at a decent price, so I'm happy, they're heavy and attractive. But thanks for this great forum and the advice I see posted. I'm not sure where to separate the hype from reality half the time and this place seems like a start!
Nuts? Not all, but some definitely are.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Can we be both nuts and right on this issue at the same time? Because I'm not sure I'm sane :D

Worse: we are telling you lamp cord will likely sound the same as your expensive speaker cables.

L

Laminarman

Audiophyte
Thanks people. Yes, I'm sure half of you are nuts as I am too.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
First, welcome to Audioholics Laminarman. :)

Cardas or Pears or BlueJeansCable or Monoprice or Lampcord - wire-is-wire and the electrical properties of copper just can't be changed. But that doesn't stop many companies from telling/selling you otherwise. However, Caveat Emptor, if you think something is better and it costs more $$$, "then it must be better" :rolleyes: -the self-fullfilling prophesy at work.

Peace,

Forest Man

L

Laminarman

Audiophyte
First, welcome to Audioholics Laminarman. :)

Cardas or Pears or BlueJeansCable or Monoprice or Lampcord - wire-is-wire and the electrical properties of copper just can't be changed. But that doesn't stop many companies from telling/selling you otherwise. However, Caveat Emptor, if you think something is better and it costs more $$$, "then it must be better" :rolleyes: -the self-fullfilling prophesy at work.

Peace,

Forest Man
You know, I picked up these nine foot Cardas cables, bi-wired, for $75 (Ebay) used, and they sure do look nice. So being in their original packages, lightly used, I thought I got a great deal. I love the blue color, my wife hates 'em! To each his own. I'd like to get a cool looking pair of twisted black ones for cheap somewhere, she might like the looks of those better. I just can't believe the prices of some of this stuff. $100 a foot!!! C'mon.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
You know, I picked up these nine foot Cardas cables, bi-wired, for $75 (Ebay) used, and they sure do look nice. So being in their original packages, lightly used, I thought I got a great deal. I love the blue color, my wife hates 'em! To each his own. I'd like to get a cool looking pair of twisted black ones for cheap somewhere, she might like the looks of those better. I just can't believe the prices of some of this stuff. $100 a foot!!! C'mon.
I would go with BlueJeansCable, very nice looking cables, reasonable prices and the owner is an Audioholics member!

Just be careful how much you pay for aesthetics :D

I get the feeling you have a pretty sweet HT setup, care to share ? ;)

Peace,

Forest Man

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I use 12 guage lamp cord that I get from Lowe's and it works fine. I think if people spend a ton of money on something that they convince themselves that it has to be better and so they think they hear a difference. :confused:

Z

Zaluss

Audioholic
I use 12 guage lamp cord that I get from Lowe's and it works fine. I think if people spend a ton of money on something that they convince themselves that it has to be better and so they think they hear a difference. :confused:
I prefer aesthetically pleasing cables. I never bought into the cable marketing but I do have all BJC/Monoprice cables, personally sleeved with techflex.

I also have quite a few hospital grade power cords.

https://www.eio.com/p-1463-hirakawa-vm0113f-10-hospital-grade-power-cable.aspx

TRT

TRT

Junior Audioholic
I once paid big money for Mon***r Cables. Before the age of enlightenment. Before the forum dark side of the force took over my collective thoughts. Now, I just assume make my own.

L

Laminarman

Audiophyte
I would go with BlueJeansCable, very nice looking cables, reasonable prices and the owner is an Audioholics member!

Just be careful how much you pay for aesthetics :D

I get the feeling you have a pretty sweet HT setup, care to share ? ;)

Peace,

Forest Man
Forest, thanks for asking!

I use a Playstation 3 for my Blu Ray player, and am now looking at a CD changer, about to listen to a few. Currently my stop gap is a 25 disc Yamaha player, serves me OK until I have to return it. The rest of the system is better with a Cinema Grand amp, Rotel RSP1570 processor (very sweet unit), Tannoys all around (the rears in wall) and a Sound Dynamics subwoofer which I'm having trouble getting to sound good. My system is kind of not all done yet, we moved into a new home we built recently and we're doing other things, so the audio budget took a backseat. I also have a used Adcom 60 Watt amp for Zone 2 that goes to my Tannoys in the ceilings in the kitchen, master bath, master bedroom, dining area..etc. Sadly I cannot remember the model #'s of the Tannoys, they all sound great. I got my fronts on demo from Audio Classics in Vestal, NY, and although they were a stretch at the time and more than I wanted to pay, they're very musical and serve me well. Thanks again for asking. Oh...and a Samsung 850 something or other (the thin one) 50" plasma hung on the wall. First movie on the Rotel was 3:10 to Yuma. Great flick!

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Forest, thanks for asking!

I use a Playstation 3 for my Blu Ray player, and am now looking at a CD changer, about to listen to a few. Currently my stop gap is a 25 disc Yamaha player, serves me OK until I have to return it. The rest of the system is better with a Cinema Grand amp, Rotel RSP1570 processor (very sweet unit), Tannoys all around (the rears in wall) and a Sound Dynamics subwoofer which I'm having trouble getting to sound good. My system is kind of not all done yet, we moved into a new home we built recently and we're doing other things, so the audio budget took a backseat. I also have a used Adcom 60 Watt amp for Zone 2 that goes to my Tannoys in the ceilings in the kitchen, master bath, master bedroom, dining area..etc. Sadly I cannot remember the model #'s of the Tannoys, they all sound great. I got my fronts on demo from Audio Classics in Vestal, NY, and although they were a stretch at the time and more than I wanted to pay, they're very musical and serve me well. Thanks again for asking. Oh...and a Samsung 850 something or other (the thin one) 50" plasma hung on the wall. First movie on the Rotel was 3:10 to Yuma. Great flick!
Nice equipment. Have you done "sub crawl" ? That is move you sub woofer to differnet locations until you get the best sound. "3:10 to Yuma" is a great sub test :D

Good Luck!

Forest Man

L

Laminarman

Audiophyte
Nice equipment. Have you done "sub crawl" ? That is move you sub woofer to differnet locations until you get the best sound. "3:10 to Yuma" is a great sub test :D

Good Luck!

Forest Man
I did. My room is about 14' x 18' and 18' tall with vaulted ceilings. One end is totally open, and it's hard to get enough furniture/drapes to dampen that puppy. My wife is just not going to let me hang foam and stuff on the walls. The sub has never worked well, always a bit boomy. And yes, other than the sub crawl making me look like a wierdo in front of my family, I was unsuccessful :eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

... I'd like to get a cool looking pair of twisted black ones for cheap somewhere, she might like the looks of those better. I just can't believe the prices of some of this stuff. $100 a foot!!! C'mon.
Firstly, welcome.:D

I would think you may want to ask your better half first what color would please her;):D

And, finally, the price is whatever the market can get from the gullible:D Some cables are up in the 5 digits;):eek:

highfigh

highfigh

The only reason I have Monster speaker wire in my system is that it was scrap from a job I worked on.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
C

cmchen0

Audioholic Intern
I too went with BlueJeansCable. It's a nice cable with a DECENT PRICE

highfigh

highfigh

I did. My room is about 14' x 18' and 18' tall with vaulted ceilings. One end is totally open, and it's hard to get enough furniture/drapes to dampen that puppy. My wife is just not going to let me hang foam and stuff on the walls. The sub has never worked well, always a bit boomy. And yes, other than the sub crawl making me look like a wierdo in front of my family, I was unsuccessful :eek:
Look onto bass traps. Having two room dimensions that are the same is a bad thing because the standing waves will occur on two axis and ideally, tehy should be distributed as evenly as possible through the woofer's range. That explains the boominess.

Also, room treatments don't need to be foam, or ugly. Go to a fabric store and look for something that would look good in the room. If you can breathe and see through it easily (meaning, it has no backing that restricts air flow), it will work well as a cover for rigid fiberglass. If it's more open and the fiberglass tends to shed powder or fibers, you can cover it with muslin cloth. This will still allow the sound to reach the fiberglass.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis