Are you buying Blu-ray or HD DVD this Christmas?

Are you buying a high definition player this xmas? DONT VOTE FOR WHAT YOU ALREADY OWN

• Yes, I am buying Blu-ray (includes a PS3)

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Yes, I am buying an HD-DVD player (or Xbox 360 add-on drive)

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Yes, I am buying a combo unit or both players (one way or another)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Nope. Not buying either this season.

Votes: 73 72.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I would have to change my answer from not buying either to getting a bluray player, since I have a 40 gig PS3 on preorder.
Now I'll have to change it again since I just got one of the cheap walmart Toshiba HD-A2's. I went from buying neither, to getting both lol.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I would have to change my answer from not buying either to getting a bluray player, since I have a 40 gig PS3 on preorder.
I'm going to have to change my vote too. I also just ordered a 40g PS3.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I'm still stinging from LD and Mini Disc. I refuse to get into a dead-end format again!:mad:
I don't think that Blu-Ray or HD DVD is necessarily going to go the way of the old LD and Mini-Discs. The format is just too spectacular. Nevertheless I agree with many posters thus far... going to wait out the storm until I purchase a unit. Definitely not by this Christmas.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Well - I was not going to buy either one and wait it out. BUT $98 was just too hard to resist :D

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
I guess it's too late to vote in the poll, but I bought a Toshiba A3 today, so that's my vote.

Reasons:

1) HD-DVD is now pretty much the price of an up-converting low-def player.

2) Sony has put out root kits, Toshiba hasn't.

3) I want to "vote" - the real way, with my $$

4) Once upon a time there wasn't a DVD format war. HD-DVD was agreed upon by many players, but then Sony started this war.

I'm shocked at the results of this poll. It's like you had a poll about whether people would rather pay $200 or $400 for an entry level HD disk player, and half chose $400.

edit: another big reason
.5) I've had an HD-TV for over 4 years now & I'm VERY TIRED of waiting for DVD players to catch up with my TV

Last edited:
flamingeye

flamingeye

Junior Audioholic
voting no

I vote no I`m investing in a new emotiva when it comes out in 2008

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I know the poll is closed, but I would have voted "No." I just can't justify buying another piece of equipment or even replacing my current DVDs since they all work just fine the way it is.

flamingeye

flamingeye

Junior Audioholic
I voted no. I am very happy with my Denon 3910 and my Sony RP 53" for video sources. I don't watch that much TV and about .8 movies per week. When I watch golf on Sunday I get OTA HD and it looks great. I am much more music oriented. If these formats started putting out music in the HD or BR, then I would perk my ears up. My new Canton's really show up crappy recordings and I only have so much hires music to listen to.

So, as far as I am concerened, the HDMI and HD/BR bandwagon is not one I am willing to put my precious audio video $$$'s on.
I agree whole heartily with you until I see HD or BR putting out music!!! I`m putting the $$`s in Audio equip

B

bilgirami

Junior Audioholic
HD DVD Vs Blue Ray

Hello Guys,
I am a new come to tis forum. Need opinion from people in the know. I am planning on buying a high def DVD player but cant figure out if I should spend the money and buy a Blue Ray or I will be ok with something like a Toshiba A-35 HD player. It sems like there are some movies that only come out on Blue Ray only. Any thoyghts will be appreciated from those who know more than I do.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I own both a PS3 and an A3 and I have been buying more BD's than HD-DVDs. For one most of the movies that are worth buying to me are mostly BD exclusive, and two if they happen to be released on both formats the BD's are always cheaper. Only hd-dvd I will be buying before the end of the year is Bourne Ultimatum. Everyone has their favorites when it comes to BD and hd-dvd and it is mostly with the hardware. I am more about the movies and BD right now just has better titles available.

L

leetamm

Audioholic Intern
Just bought a Toshiba HD-DVD player (hd-a2) for my Dad. $200 from Wal-Mart. I couldn't afford anything more expensive with everyone else to buy for as well. I can't wait for him to open it up!

Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix

Junior Audioholic
Oh, darn, I was hoping there might be a strong bias in one format or the other, but it looks like HD-DVD and BluRay are still neck and neck based on the poll results.

That's okay, we weren't going to choose sides just yet anyways! ;)

T

tes918

Enthusiast
HD DVD Player

NO! I would actually love to have one but I am a collector (750 DVDs) to think of starting over (especially at prices in the 30 to 50 dollar range) makes me want to wait.

If and when I do I will definitely look into a good rental situation (Netflix etc.) I would only purchase a select few.

I have not posted for some time and I intend to look for a good rant discussion on the prices of DVDs. I assume most people have noticed how that price has "significantly" increased over the past year.

Tom

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
NO! I would actually love to have one but I am a collector (750 DVDs) to think of starting over (especially at prices in the 30 to 50 dollar range) makes me want to wait.

If and when I do I will definitely look into a good rental situation (Netflix etc.) I would only purchase a select few.

I have not posted for some time and I intend to look for a good rant discussion on the prices of DVDs. I assume most people have noticed how that price has "significantly" increased over the past year.

Tom
You do realize your SD DVDs will work in a HD player??

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
hm... bummed out what I filled out... I guess I put a neither comment last month... well I got a PS3 recently, so I'm part of the BD crew now!!

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I bought both for Christmas!!!

How can you watch what you want if you don't own both?

On the other hand, I am not too impressed with film quality on some transfers and the headaches of hdmi switch compatibility is still a nagging problem.

Audio is another anomoly I wish was not an issue.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis