Are these necessary to hook up the ep2500?

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
Nope, not necessary. The EP2500 has "normal" binding posts if you want to insert bare wire. They are under a little plastic cover, so they're not visible unless you remove that cover.

If you want, you can use the 1st link you posted. You would run your speaker wire into that connector, and then that will fit into the back of the EP. I do that, and it's nice in the event that you want to disconnect the speaker wire. But, again, it's definitely not necessary and you can use the EP without it.

The second thing you linked you would not need at all. That's the female end of the Speakon connector. Those are already supplied as the outputs of the EP. If you bought them, they would end up in a drawer somewhere.

Good luck!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Which receiver are you hooking up to the EP2500?

I'm pretty sure that the answer is "no" regardless because those connectors are used on the outputs of the EP2500. I'm asking about your receiver so that we can say which cables to use.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
The first link posted is an adapter to plug in a 1/4" connector, not a wire.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like you need XLR connectors for the inputs

If your receiver doesn't have XLR pre-outs, you'll need RCA to XLR adapters.

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
Where do i get those? I also have the ED EQ.2 and I have no clue how to use everything on this EQ.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My receiver is the Onkyo TX-SR606
The inputs that you would use on the EP2500 when connecting to your receiver are the XLR inputs or the 1/4" jack inputs. You'll need to get adapters to use either one, but they aren't difficult to come by.

For example, here is a link to a six-foot cable from Monoprice with an XLR connector on one end and an RCA connector on the other. You would connect the RCA side to the receiver and the XLR side to the EP2500. You don't have pre-amp outputs on that receiver, but the Zone 2 outputs may be variable and act the same way. I'll need to look at the manual to check that.

EDIT: Nope, the Zone 2 outputs are fixed and aren't controlled by the volume on the 606.

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
So do I use the sub preout to the EQ then to the amp?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I do believe he is powering a sub SO YES, use the sub pre out. The best solution for hooking the EP2500 to a consumer level AVR is to use the ART Cleanbox DTI so you eliminate the "hum" issue before it even starts. You also end up just needing one XLR and one RCA cable this way.

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
Yes I am powering a subwoofer. What is the ART Cleanbox DTI? If possible could someone show me exactly what I need maybe with a link?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
It will take the unbalanced signal from your AVR and turn it balanced going into the EP2500. It will accept your RCA in from your AVR and XLR out (or 1/4) to the amp. Many say that a RCA to XLR cable will work fine for the application you are using but I had a bad "hum" and this is the cleanest way to solve the issue.
http://www.amazon.com/ART-Dual-Transformer-Isolator-Eliminator/dp/B0009GUOQA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1234126606&sr=8-1

While we are at it, how are you going to turn on the amp? I used this so it works off of my 12v trigger.
http://www.smarthome.com/81301/Xantech-Controlled-AC-Outlet-AC1/p.aspx

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis