Are Onkyo speakers good?

C

cobra_chennai

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I know that Onkyo makes good AV Receivers. Are their speakers good too? I intend to buy Onkyo HT Speaker system (trying to get on deal for $199) to pair with my Denon AV Receiver. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
In essence you've answered your own question; what $199 speaker system could possibly be good? For that price I'm afraid you can't expect much of anything, regardless of who makes it.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I would go towards these instead of the Onkyo
Amazon.com: Jamo S 426 HCS 3 WENGE 5-Piece Home Theater System (Wenge): Electronics

and this sub Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer 300-629 would be about as cheap as I would venture to spend on a home theater...

you will appreciate the difference for sure...

if you have the extra money in your budget this sub is another step up Amazon.com: BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer: Electronics

good luck and welcome

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
I'm not sure that I would qualify them as good, but it depends on what you're trying to do. My first set was a 7.1 Onkyo system and it was more than enough for my tiny dorm room. I bought it refurbished on Amazon (free 2 day shipping) and I was very happy with it at the time. I have since upgrade to an Ascend Acoustics and HSU setup that I scored from Craigslist. If I had known what I know now, I would have probably started with a 2.0 set and built from there (added a sub, then a center and then either upgraded the fronts or added surrounds). To each their own though. If you'd consider starting with a 2.0, check out these Pioneer Andrew Jones FS52 Floorstanding speakers. They can be found on sale for ~$100 each from time to time. Your local Best Buy will price match with TigerDirect.com if you find them cheaper.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Onkyo has long made some of the best <$500 HTIB systems due to their decision to include decent receivers in a HTIB package, but their weakness has traditionally been their speakers and they are usually the first thing that people upgrade when they have more money to work with. If I were you I'd start with a pair of decent quality budget full range speakers like the Pioneers and then add bits (a matched center, surrounds, and a good subwoofer) over time as money allows. If that's not doable (or they'll be destroyed by roommates) then I'd take the package deal plus subwoofer route that someone else suggested.

Last edited:
J

jpcamaro70

Audiophyte
I had an onkyo HTIB and it was feature packed but the speakers were really tinny.

J

jkgsxr

Junior Audioholic
I currently have an onkyo htib with added sub, its ok but not great or even good just ok.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
I would go towards these instead of the Onkyo
Amazon.com: Jamo S 426 HCS 3 WENGE 5-Piece Home Theater System (Wenge): Electronics

and this sub Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer 300-629 would be about as cheap as I would venture to spend on a home theater...

you will appreciate the difference for sure...

if you have the extra money in your budget this sub is another step up Amazon.com: BIC America F12 12-Inch 475-Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer: Electronics

good luck and welcome

LOL, i seriously think ImcLoud is the most considerate recommender on this forum. Just for the time that he took considering your gear, I'd go that route.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis