Are onboard graphic and audio acceptable

P

philh

Full Audioholic
Struggling a little bit with Audio. Saw a couple of other posts I need to check out. Currently have both HDMI and Opt wired to receiver, as sometimes one will work and the other one won't.

So, with this board

ASRock Z97E-ITX LGA1150 Intel mITX Motherboard

Do I need an add on card?

What software to install? MP and MPC don't individually play everything, and they each have quirks.

Last edited by a moderator:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Struggling a little bit with Audio. Saw a couple of other posts I need to check out. Currently have both HDMI and Opt wired to receiver, as sometimes one will work and the other one won't.

So, with this board

ASRock Z97E-ITX LGA1150 Intel mITX Motherboard

Do I need an add on card?

What software to install? MP and MPC don't individually play everything, and they each have quirks.
If you are talking about what is 'Audiophile' HDMI isn't normally considered an audiophile interface. For BR and DVD playback it does pretty well but if you want to make sure all the Video Quality Benchmarks are hit get a AMD/ATI Radeon card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marauder1957

Marauder1957

Enthusiast
I'd suggest you try JRiver and see if that software works for you. They give a 30 day trial before you need to pay. I love it and the way you can practically configure everything.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It depends on how do you use it. Dedicated video card could improve video processing on lower quality videos, but then again these things could be simply done in vlc player

T

Trev

Audioholic
Personally, I feel as long as you have HDMI passthrough for audio, letting your AVR decode... you're set. If your screen doesn't go over 1080p, you're not missing anything on HDMI and NVIDIA works just fine too. Not a fan of ATI and that's a constant back and forth that comes down to the individual.

Intel Integrated Graphics HD4000 is fine enough for your 1080 video needs.
Optical to receiver also should be working for you without problems. I used to run like that on a previous ASUS board. Your software just needs to be configured. To help, kind of need more specific examples. You're not trying to pass audio over both are you?

If one works and the other doesn't... two things are likely occurring... 1 - as simple as the program you're using needs to be told which interface you're using or 2 - One of your programs has been given exclusive control when in use, meaning it'll cut out any other signals passing audio.

I used JRiver for a while, unfortunately encountered a number of bugs and issues. It had a lot of nice features and when it was working, it was excellent. Foobar2000 is another player option, and XBMC. I still can't help lazily using VLC because... it's always there and functions perfectly. It only sucks in the library / file management dept compared to other players imo.

P

prerich

Audioholic Intern
Personally, I feel as long as you have HDMI passthrough for audio, letting your AVR decode... you're set. If your screen doesn't go over 1080p, you're not missing anything on HDMI and NVIDIA works just fine too. Not a fan of ATI and that's a constant back and forth that comes down to the individual.

Intel Integrated Graphics HD4000 is fine enough for your 1080 video needs.
Optical to receiver also should be working for you without problems. I used to run like that on a previous ASUS board. Your software just needs to be configured. To help, kind of need more specific examples. You're not trying to pass audio over both are you?

If one works and the other doesn't... two things are likely occurring... 1 - as simple as the program you're using needs to be told which interface you're using or 2 - One of your programs has been given exclusive control when in use, meaning it'll cut out any other signals passing audio.

I used JRiver for a while, unfortunately encountered a number of bugs and issues. It had a lot of nice features and when it was working, it was excellent. Foobar2000 is another player option, and XBMC. I still can't help lazily using VLC because... it's always there and functions perfectly. It only sucks in the library / file management dept compared to other players imo.
IMHO JRiver is the best thing since sliced bread for the HTPC crowd! I actually use my HTPC as a prepro - no receiver or commercial prepro in my system. I don't use onboard graphics or audio. I'm using a humble GT 730 for video and a Essence ST/H6 for audio ...I also have Burson opamp upgrades. I perform all room correction (PEQ, FIR filters etc.), bass management, you name it, from JRiver DSP Studio via vst's. My PC outputs to a Adcom 5503 (purchased form one of the Forum founders if I'm not mistaken), 2 Yamaha MX-830's, and a Behringer EP 4000. Those are connected to Klipsch Cornwalls and a Heresy, Definitive Technology bipolar rear and back speakers, and the EP4000 drives a pair of SVS 16-46's and a pair of Wharfedale SW-380's that have their amps and crossovers disabled.

@Marauder1957 You could even get rid of your Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram by using the MSED vst from Voxengo... I did ;)

Marauder1957

Marauder1957

Enthusiast
IMHO JRiver is the best thing since sliced bread for the HTPC crowd! I actually use my HTPC as a prepro - no receiver or commercial prepro in my system. I don't use onboard graphics or audio. I'm using a humble GT 730 for video and a Essence ST/H6 for audio ...I also have Burson opamp upgrades. I perform all room correction (PEQ, FIR filters etc.), bass management, you name it, from JRiver DSP Studio via vst's. My PC outputs to a Adcom 5503 (purchased form one of the Forum founders if I'm not mistaken), 2 Yamaha MX-830's, and a Behringer EP 4000. Those are connected to Klipsch Cornwalls and a Heresy, Definitive Technology bipolar rear and back speakers, and the EP4000 drives a pair of SVS 16-46's and a pair of Wharfedale SW-380's that have their amps and crossovers disabled.

@Marauder1957 You could even get rid of your Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram by using the MSED vst from Voxengo... I did ;)

I think I'll keep the Carver C-9. It took too long to get another after so many years. true, it's a novelty item to most but there's something about putting Pat Benatars "True Love" on, closing your eyes and getting the ambiance of a smoky jazz club with her belting out that tune. Besides, I'm a big fan of "good" vintage equipment. I practically lived in the stereo stores of the day. JBL L-100's, Ohm F, Bose series 1 and 2 901's, Klipsch, Marantz, Carver and others to drool over. You could say I'm chasing my childhood with my tastes.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Lets agree to disagree. I think modern XBMC (aka Kodi) is the best thing since sliced bread as far as htpc software goes :)
Kudos for nice amps and Cornwalls. There was a time then Klipsch did some really nice speakers... Oh, well..

Marauder1957

Marauder1957

Enthusiast
Forgive me, I'm not pulling one over another. I use what works best to me until I find something better. When I put the HTPC back together, I will be exploring those other options. In my current build I was only using a known comfortable solution for a end. For my current build, JRiver was the best alternative I found. A HTPC is a different kettle of fish altogether with more functions than merely playing music accurately..

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
No need for forgiveness. You're perfectly entitled for your opinion and maybe Jriver does something that XBMC doesn't ...

I mean - what do I know. Only 15 years professional experience in IT and over 20 in total :p

P

prerich

Audioholic Intern
No need for forgiveness. You're perfectly entitled for your opinion and maybe Jriver does something that XBMC doesn't ...

I mean - what do I know. Only 15 years professional experience in IT and over 20 in total :p
Wow - I also have 15 years IT experience, and 12 years experience as a Cryptologist before that ;)

P

prerich

Audioholic Intern

Oh, just to ask a question...can Kodi (XBMC) perform room correction and use convolution filters. As a user platform for a person that is video based, or one that likes eye-candy... I'll agree that XBMC is terrific (especially since it's free). However, if you're a stickler for audio and you're not just bitstreaming to your receiver - JRiver has more audio options than Kodi/XBMC.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, just to ask a question...can Kodi (XBMC) perform room correction and use convolution filters. As a user platform for a person that is video based, or one that likes eye-candy... I'll agree that XBMC is terrific (especially since it's free). However, if you're a stickler for audio and you're not just bitstreaming to your receiver - JRiver has more audio options than Kodi/XBMC.
No, Kodi's audio processing are quite limited. With plugins you can do EQ, but anything other than that you'd be better off bit-streaming raw and processing it where it should be first place - on the magical and mystical device sometimes called by it's true name - A/V Receiver.

It doesn't matter where room correction and use convolution filters audio processing is done - by PC or the AVR. With Kodi and bitstreaming to AVR these features are possible.

From Cryptology to IT or the other way around?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis