J

John Bailey

Audioholic
I'm looking at used Arcam AVR's from the AVR 100 to the AVR 350. Of special interest are the AVR 250 and AVR 280. Right now they would have enough power for my Monitor Audio stand mounts. In the future I plan to get some Magnepan MGMC-1's. I don't think the AVR 250/280 would have enough power and, it would appear, the AVR's don't have the ability to add an amp. That is, unless the bi-amping abilities of those AVR's, on their own, would provide enough power. I know nothing of bi-amping, in general, or bi-amping using a receiver.

Another, low cost, option would be to go with the AVR 100/200 and add an external amp, which they, apparently, can do when I add the Magnepan's.

If I jump up to the AVR 300 or AVR 350, I think either of those would handle the Magnepans - they would just cost more.

I listen to mostly classical music at fairly low levels in a small room. The wife would like an occasional movie which is why I'm looking into AVR's. She seems to be taking an interest in the sound also and the Arcam seems a good resolution for both our tastes.

Thanks for any input.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
I'm looking at used Arcam AVR's from the AVR 100 to the AVR 350. Of special interest are the AVR 250 and AVR 280. Right now they would have enough power for my Monitor Audio stand mounts. In the future I plan to get some Magnepan MGMC-1's. I don't think the AVR 250/280 would have enough power and, it would appear, the AVR's don't have the ability to add an amp. That is, unless the bi-amping abilities of those AVR's, on their own, would provide enough power. I know nothing of bi-amping, in general, or bi-amping using a receiver.

Another, low cost, option would be to go with the AVR 100/200 and add an external amp, which they, apparently, can do when I add the Magnepan's.

If I jump up to the AVR 300 or AVR 350, I think either of those would handle the Magnepans - they would just cost more.

I listen to mostly classical music at fairly low levels in a small room. The wife would like an occasional movie which is why I'm looking into AVR's. She seems to be taking an interest in the sound also and the Arcam seems a good resolution for both our tastes.

Thanks for any input.

John
I have an AVR350 in Black. I still have the Factory Warranty Card and it was a refurb B stock that I just got from Arcam, so it's basically new. I've had it less than 30 days. Sounds great, but I'm kind of wishing I went with Separates and the Anthem route.

I'd consider selling it for the right price...

J

John Bailey

Audioholic
I have an AVR350 in Black. I still have the Factory Warranty Card and it was a refurb B stock that I just got from Arcam, so it's basically new. I've had it less than 30 days. Sounds great, but I'm kind of wishing I went with Separates and the Anthem route.

Thanks Gregg,

If I end up going the AVR 350 route, it will be awhile before I'm able to spend that much. Unless, of course, I could get it for the "right price." (from the buyers standpoint);)

John

N

nitin_mehra20

Audioholic

I thought you were in love the ARCAM 350???? :(

What happened??? :(

N

nitin_mehra20

Audioholic
$300-$400 right now. In a few months if I'm still looking, maybe up to $1,000. Your AVR 350 is worth more than that.

John
Do you want this amp specifically for music? Or is HT the end usage?

if it is for music itself. You can go with the AVR 300. I know of one deal available on Audiogon for 600 bucks. Not sure if it is available anymore :)

Or you can try and get this for less

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1241750222&/Arcam-AVR100-

Coupled with Emotiva UPA2

http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

Should give you enough juice to power any decent speakers.

Just confirm that the AVR 100 is a pre-out :)

Last edited:
J

John Bailey

Audioholic
Do you want this amp specifically for music? Or is HT the end usage?

if it is for music itself. You can go with the AVR 300. I know of one deal available on Audiogon for 600 bucks. Not sure if it is available anymore :)

Or you can try and get this for less

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1241750222&/Arcam-AVR100-

Coupled with Emotiva UPA2

http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

Should give you enough juice to power any decent speakers.

Just confirm that the AVR 100 is a pre-out :)
Thanks nitnin,

I want it strictly for music, but my wife wants movies. The AVR 100 does have pre-outs. So, it sounds like if I get the AVR 100 now, and later add a matching amp for stereo while using the AVR 100 for a pre-amp, I should have the best of both worlds. Right?

Thanks for the help.

John

N

nitin_mehra20

Audioholic
Thanks nitnin,

I want it strictly for music, but my wife wants movies. The AVR 100 does have pre-outs. So, it sounds like if I get the AVR 100 now, and later add a matching amp for stereo while using the AVR 100 for a pre-amp, I should have the best of both worlds. Right?

Thanks for the help.

John
Do keep in mind though that the AVR 100 will not support HDMI switching on any kind. So if you do use HD output, you would be restricted to components only.

:)

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
I thought you were in love the ARCAM 350???? :(

What happened??? :(
Nitin,

I do really like the Arcam. It is a definite sonic improvement compared to my Rotel. I am however, a little disappointed with the bass management for HT. It won't give me individual cross over settings for each speaker. As a receiver, it is great, however, I think I'm ready for separates.

I also want a very high end room EQ ability and only the stand alone Audyssey or the Anthem AVM's/D2 will give me that, without having to go with the Behringher which looks highly complicated to me...

I ordered an XPA-5 too, so I am not even using the Arcam Amps any longer. I'm not in a huge rush to get rid of the Arcam, but, I'm itching a little to see if I can get an even better set up....

I guess this is why Audiogon is such a popular site. We Audio freaks like to upgrade all the time... :D

R

Relayer926

Audiophyte
Arcam's definition of "B Stock"

I am sure every company has their own idea of what B Stock means. I have an opportunity to get the 350 from B Stock, but can't commit cause the term B Stock isn't sitting well.

Did you get yours in good condition and with a full warranty from Arcam still?

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Sorry for the late reply, as I've been on vacation. It did come in good condition and is fully warrantied. It has a scratch on the side of the box, but the front of the unit is perfect. The remote it came with is really for the AVR300, not the 350, but the dealer that I purchased it from is getting me a new AVR 350 remote. For the price, it was a good deal and I'm happy...

J

John Bailey

Audioholic
I thought I'd update my thread. I purchased an Arcam AVR-100. I decided I didn't want to spend the money to get an AVR-300 or 350 right now and the AVR-100 will allow me to upgrade with an additional power amp later. The AVR-100, unlike the AVR-250 and 280, has pre-outs for all speakers. This set up will allow me to have a good amp for my l/r speakers for the stereo listening I do. That's about 90%. It'll also let me put together a nice 5.1 system for my wife as she wants movies.

I was first turned on to the Arcam sound when I auditioned some Maggie 1.6 speakers that were hooked up to an Arcam 50 watt integrated. I was surprised at the good sound as I'd heard all the stories about the power requirements of the Maggies. I'm sure the sound could have been better with a more powerful amp, but the sound was very good. The dealer told me I needed "good" watts as opposed to a "lot" of watts. Quality vs. quantity I guess. I think he was on to something. Having spent some time in England, I think the English know how to do stereo in small places, and since my room is quite small, 11x9, the Arcam with my Monitor Audio speakers seem a good fit.

By the way, the Arcam has provided all the punch of my Onkyo, with the finesse of all the NAD amps I've gone through in the past, but with a warmth and delicacy that was missing with the other amps. I'm quite pleased with this upgrade.

My next purchase is going to be a REL T3 and I'll have an all English designed system.

Thanks for the advice.

John

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis