Apple Unlock iPhone?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Break the encryption no, but they can brute force the password if Apple turns off the auto wipe which is what the FBI wants in this case. Apple already plans to make that impossible too in its upcoming products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
http://news.yahoo.com/israeli-firm-helping-fbi-open-encrypted-iphone-report-105343366--finance.html

So what I said would happen did. Third party steps in. Lets Apple off the hook, but now if successful, there's nothing to stop the government from getting into any phone... Sure Apple didn't do it, but it made no difference and the precedent was set that the government will now try to go AROUND manufacturers rather than square off with them.
The effect isn't the same. If a third party helps them exploit the phone, Apple can update the OS to block the security hole being exploited, and/or design their next hardware to make that exploit impossible.

If Apple were forced to literally hand over access, no change in their software or hardware could block unauthorized access.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The impression was that it was impossible now, so the fact that a third party is saying they can do it (and we don't know if they can yet) means it can be done again after the new exploit is blocked. "Forensic" bypass software will become a new industry.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The impression was that it was impossible now, so the fact that a third party is saying they can do it (and we don't know if they can yet) means it can be done again after the new exploit is blocked. "Forensic" bypass software will become a new industry.
I don't think there was ever anything stopping the government previously from enlisting the help of willing 3rd parties. If this 3rd party is successful, it simply means there was a flaw in the older OS/hardware. This is a great deal different than saying that Apple must provide a back door for law enforcement for all products they sell, willingly or not.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I know it isn't the same as asking Apple for a "master key", but the article yesterday also says that if the third party is successful, the exploit does not need to be shared with Apple and therefore they won't exactly know what to patch. So their next OS update may or may not fix that exploit and the "forensic hackers" will be looking for the next exploit.

Yesterday's article said the government had concurrently been in talks with MANY third parties to gain access ever since the incident and decided to go to Apple directly. Only when that happened did it become news.

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The same could be said for any black hat hacker though; they aren't sharing how they exploit phones/tablets/PCs with the authorities, they just take advantage of the situation. It's always up to tech companies to figure out how (sometimes with white hat hacker help), and make a better product.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I believe the FBI realized the public was starting to turn against them and they were also going to lose in court. So rather than fight a losing battle, they cook up a story so they may gracefully withdraw from the unwinnable legal battle and at the same time, make everyone think they have a way to hack iPhones. This way, we'll never know for sure whether or not they were successful and this is just as good, very clever actually. This story will likely disappear altogether after this week passes.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't but then I wouldn't have been so forthcoming about who I got to do it for me.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Seems they were mistaken and not sufficiently versed in the iPhone architecture.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
So many "Experts" in this thread said it couldn't be done .... or it would take years.:D
I don't know that anyone claimed an iPhone to be truly "hack proof". It's just more complicated than a 4th grader in Colorado sitting at his computer "rerouting the encryptions". This is clearly evidenced by the FBI's inability to do it themselves, and trying to force Apple to give them an in. As far as this case goes, it's probably as close to a win-win for both sides as it was ever going to get.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
What I'm wondering is who the outside party is? Were they former Apple employee(s). If so, they would probably be breaching a non disclosure they signed while at Apple.

I'm also wondering what the FBI is hoping to gain by advertising they cracked the phone? There surely must be a reason besides bragging rights.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis