Apple TV to OPPO-205 for Dolby ATMOS entertainment?

• Thread starter sterling shoote
  • Start date
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
As I understand it an Apple TV connected to my OPPO-205 will process Apple Music Spatial Audio. I am an Apple Music subscriber so I would like to enjoy this feature. Currently, my OPPO-205 is used to process 5.1 SACDs, outputting analog to a 5.1 Preamplifier and this condition will continue, so I assume ATMOS height channels will not exist but 5.1 surround sound will still be presented? At any rate, my question is this, does the Apple TV function as do iTunes/Apple Music Apps running on my iMac, iPhone, and PC to receive wirelessly from modem/router and is my Television display the means to control/ select desired Spatial Audio music? Also, what is/are the path/paths for all HDMI connections?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Apple TV 4K has wifi capability(gen 1 wifi AC/5 and gen 2 wifi AX/6) to connect to a wifi network and supports gigabit ethernet. There is one HMDI output but no optical output like so many streamers now.

You will need to connect to a TV to navigate menu, make settings changes and select apps. Audio via Airplay 2 from compatible devices can be sent to the Apple TV 4K. However, while Airplay 2 supports lossless two channel audio, hi-res and multichannel signals are not currently supported.

Apple uses Dolby MAT to transmit Dolby Atmos. Dolby Atmos tracks from all streaming services are Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 based. Apple puts those Atmos tracks in a big LPCM container tied in an Atmos metadata ribbon bow. Those devices and receivers that cannot process Atmos metadata will see and display a multi channel PCM 7.1 signal from an Apple TV 4K playing an Atmos track.

S

sterling shoote

The Apple TV 4K has wifi capability(gen 1 wifi AC/5 and gen 2 wifi AX/6) to connect to a wifi network and supports gigabit ethernet. There is one HMDI output but no optical output like so many streamers now.

You will need to connect to a TV to navigate menu, make settings changes and select apps. Audio via Airplay 2 from compatible devices can be sent to the Apple TV 4K. However, while Airplay 2 supports lossless two channel audio, hi-res and multichannel signals are not currently supported.

Apple uses Dolby MAT to transmit Dolby Atmos. Dolby Atmos tracks from all streaming services are Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 based. Apple puts those Atmos tracks in a big LPCM container tied in an Atmos metadata ribbon bow. Those devices and receivers that cannot process Atmos metadata will see and display a multi channel PCM 7.1 signal from an Apple TV 4K playing an Atmos track.
So, Apple TV to OPPO and OPPO to TV via HDMI and preamp via analog?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Will the Atmos data still be in that signal then with the analog outs? I guess we'll find out.

I didn't think it would work with my PS5, but it has the ability to configure the output to Dolby, which I am then able to get Atmos from. It does not actually support Atmos, but passing the signal this way I am able to get it.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No, the Oppo will not be able to do anything with the Atmos metadata. It will output the channel based info from the Dolby Digital Plus track which is converted to multi channel PCM 7.1 when coming from an Apple TV 4K.

S

sterling shoote

No, the Oppo will not be able to do anything with the Atmos metadata. It will output the channel based info from the Dolby Digital Plus track which is converted to multi channel PCM 7.1 when coming from an Apple TV 4K.
I thought the OPPO-205 processes Dolby ATMOS?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It can pass it via bitstream but I do not believe it can decode it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It can pass it via bitstream but I do not believe it can decode it.
The ATV can't pass the bitstream with Atmos data? If the ATV did the decoding and still sends audio out via hdmi, what happens?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Why go through the oppo at all? What am I missing?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Apple TV 4K sends Atmos out via Dolby MAT(LPCM with Atmos metadata). The Oppo will see and process Multichannel PCM 7.1 from the Apple TV 4K Atmos signals but won’t be able to process metadata.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The Apple TV 4K sends Atmos out via Dolby MAT(LPCM with Atmos metadata). The Oppo will see and process Multichannel PCM 7.1 from the Apple TV 4K Atmos signals but won’t be able to process metadata.
But that’s what it’ll do if you send it to an AVR that can’t process it either. Or if you don’t have any overhead speakers too. The sounds are there, but the metadata is not unpacked.
So why not just go to the AVR? Afaik OP still isn’t Atmos capable.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Oppo is handling video and also audio decoding and is sending analog audio out to a 5.1 preamp. Atmos metadata can be turned off in the Apple TV 4K and it still will output LPCM 7.1 and the Oppo will downmix to 5.1 for output to the preamp.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok. So it’s about using the analogy chain?

S

sterling shoote

Ok. So it’s about using the analogy chain?
It's about a means for me to enjoy Spatial Audio via my current system which is for the most part one I put together for 5.1 SACD and Blu-ray entertainment. I suppose I will eventually get a new Marantz Pre-Pro, some Atmos speakers, and another stereo power amp for the Spatial Audio experience; but, for now, I am looking for a taste of it on the cheap, meaning just the purchase of an Apple TV.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok. So the pre/pro doesn’t have hdmi.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No, it does not have HDMI. So, Apple TV 4K into Oppo, which acts as prepro and disc player here and sends video signal to TV via HDMI and 5.1 analog audio to preamp.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No, it does not have HDMI. So, Apple TV 4K into Oppo, which acts as prepro and disc player here and sends video signal to TV via HDMI and 5.1 analog audio to preamp.
Ok. That’s what I somehow overlooked. I feel simultaneously smart and dumb at the same time lol. Now it makes sense.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It's about a means for me to enjoy Spatial Audio via my current system which is for the most part one I put together for 5.1 SACD and Blu-ray entertainment. I suppose I will eventually get a new Marantz Pre-Pro, some Atmos speakers, and another stereo power amp for the Spatial Audio experience; but, for now, I am looking for a taste of it on the cheap, meaning just the purchase of an Apple TV.
I'd get the Apple TV 4K and try it out. I cannot simulate your setup exactly, but I have tried Apple Music's Dolby Atmos tracks via the Apple TV 4K with Atmos turned OFF so that LPCM 7.1 is sent to my receiver which is configured for 5.1 and turned Speaker Virtualizer OFF. So, Multichannel PCM 7.1B is displayed as the input signal and Multichannel PCM 5.1 is displayed for output. Some tracks are better than others in their arrangement but the good ones are very enjoyable even without Atmos metadata and Dolby processing in the works.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
As I understand it an Apple TV connected to my OPPO-205 will process Apple Music Spatial Audio. I am an Apple Music subscriber so I would like to enjoy this feature. Currently, my OPPO-205 is used to process 5.1 SACDs, outputting analog to a 5.1 Preamplifier and this condition will continue, so I assume ATMOS height channels will not exist but 5.1 surround sound will still be presented? At any rate, my question is this, does the Apple TV function as do iTunes/Apple Music Apps running on my iMac, iPhone, and PC to receive wirelessly from modem/router and is my Television display the means to control/ select desired Spatial Audio music? Also, what is/are the path/paths for all HDMI connections?
You know, I forgot you had the iMac M1. I would experiment with it by getting a USB-C to HDMI adapter and see if it will pass the multichannel signals from Apple Music's Dolby Atmos tracks. Macs do not support Atmos metadata like the Apple TV 4K but multichannel audio can still be output from Dolby Atmos tracks. I am able to output the 7.1 multichannel signals from my Mac mini M1. I set Audio MIDI Setup for 7.1 output and let the receiver process it for 5.1 output. Adapters are cheap enough if the iMac is close to the system and can be connected to the Oppo with a 6' or 10' HDMI cable. Worth a try on the cheap.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis