Apple to offer higher quality music on itunes?

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/02/22/24.bit.music/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Looks like it could happen, let's hope sooner than later, and hope it doesn't cost too much extra.
It should be free since they already made people pay if they wanted to upgrade from 128 to 256. But then again, nothing is free :D. It doesn't have too big of an effect on me though, since I don't really have a lot purchased from Itunes. Most of my music is ripped from cds. I would however buy more from Itunes if it were higher quality.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
My favorite bit:

Why don't record labels at least give retailers the option of working from higher-grade recordings?

"Why?" Jimmy Iovine, a longtime music executive, asked rhetorically. "I don't know. It's not because they're geniuses."

J

Jim85IROC

Enthusiast
I still wouldn't buy from Apple unless they got rid of that non-transferable nonsense. If I pay for it, I expect to be able to put it anywhere I want it!

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I still wouldn't buy from Apple unless they got rid of that non-transferable nonsense. If I pay for it, I expect to be able to put it anywhere I want it!
what are you talking about? it hasnt been nontransferable for a long time.

D

Duff man

Audioholic Intern
Instead of asking why they aren't offering an option better than low quality, maybe the question should be "how come high quality isn't the default?"

Bandwidth is cheaper than creating a physical copy, but most downloads are of poorer quality... :confused:

J

Jim85IROC

Enthusiast
what are you talking about? it hasnt been nontransferable for a long time.
I was not aware of that. I don't follow itunes that closely. I just recalled a friend recently talking about how much of a pain it was to transfer his songs and assumed it was still like that.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
honestly the whole 24-bit idea sounds cool and all, but i would rather see them offer music in a lossless format, 24-bit vs 16-bit is not really that big of an improvement in sound.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
honestly the whole 24-bit idea sounds cool and all, but i would rather see them offer music in a lossless format, 24-bit vs 16-bit is not really that big of an improvement in sound.
It's a good bet that 24bit would be lossless. :p

I'm not a pod-person but FWIW I buy 24bit 96khz FLACs whenever possible. At least for music that has the dynamic range and detail to make it worthwhile. 24bit downloads seem to carry a 10-20% premium over conventional CDs.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
im not a pod person either i just own 90% of my music digitally, while aac at 256 may be transparent and mp3 at 320, i would still like lossless. now if the 24bit files were also 96khz, it would definitely be worth it. that would be awesome, maybe the digital music industry will actually make a step in the FORWARD direction for once :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis