Aperion Intimus vs SVS Prime?

W

wings

Enthusiast
I'm interested in feedback from anyone that has heard the Aperion Intimus 5.1 System (5T towers, 5C center, 4BP surrounds, Bravus II 8D sub) and the SVS Prime Tower Surround System (Prime towers, center, satellites, SB-2000 sub). Both systems are at/near the limit of my sound budget, and either would far exceed the quality of any home audio speakers I currently have. However since I hope for this to be a long term purchase I'd like impressions and comparative feedback of the listening experience with each system. I will probably drive them with a mid-range A/V receiver like the Onkyo TX-NR838 or Pioneer VSX-1130. Thanks in advance!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Between the two, I would go for the SVS setup if only for the better subwoofer. However, neither would be my first choice in that budget range.

W

wings

Enthusiast
Between the two, I would go for the SVS setup if only for the better subwoofer. However, neither would be my first choice in that budget range.
Thanks, Shady. What is your preferred system in this price range?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want tower speakers, I would lean toward the EMP Tek R55Ti speakers along with their corresponding center speaker and bookshelf speakers for surrounds. I would also be taking a look at Philharmonic's Affordable Accuracy speakers. If you don't absolutely need tower speakers, I would be looking at JBL Studio 530 bookshelf speakers for fronts or maybe an Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 front stage with CBM-170 surrounds. For a subwoofer, I would be looking at Hsu Research, Reaction Audio, or Rythmik Audio. An Hsu speaker/sub package would be good too and get you a much better subwoofer than the SVS or Aperion systems for the same price.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So what do you listen for in a sub?
I suppose you listen to see if the things you prefer to listen to sound good. Does the sub sound muddy or boomy, lifeless, peakish, or does it sound life-like? The best way to learn to listen for qualities in a sub is to do A/B comparisons. Since that is difficult and time-consuming to arrange for many of us, I would rely on measurements for comparison instead, such as is at this site.

S

Sky1

Audioholic Intern
I have the prime tower surround system but never heard the others to compare.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis