Apartment Setup Recommendations

C

cantdrive55

Audiophyte
Im looking for a decent setup for my 14'x14' living room in my current apartment. I will be using it with a bunch of inputs (Xbox, PS3, HTPC, Movies, TV, and an iPod) all except the ipod will be through HDMI. Im looking for something with a decent punch and that will last a few years as I move out and into a bigger townhouse/house. Parties are thrown every so often so the volume is cranked up on weekends. The other 5 tenants are also college kids and we all have a great time so noise wont be a problem with big loud speakers or a hard hitting sub.

Ive been looking at Polk Monitor 60's up front, a Polk CS2 center, some Monitor 30's for the rear, a Polk PSW10 sub, and a Yamaha VX467 receiver. Of course I'm not dead set on any of those if there are better options out there Im all ears. Im looking to get everything minus the rears this month and hold off on the rears til early fall.

My budget is up to about $5-800 now without the rears.

Thanks for any ideas or advice!

Savant

Savant

Audioholics Resident Acoustics Expert
The context of your post—college apartment, parties, loud music—leads me to conclude that your intention is not necessarily an über-high-quality dedicated listening / HT room; you just want things to sound good. Based on that, I would offer the some basic rules of thumb:

L-C-R Symmetry: Set up the front and center loudspeakers symmetrically along one of the walls. L and R should be equidistant from their respective side walls. C in the center.

Sub Placement: Put it wherever it sounds best. Assuming there is a desire to keep it along the same wall as the L-C-R loudspeakers, there should be a spot somewhere between the corner and the C loudspeaker where the sub sounds best. If you have more flexibility concerning placement, move it around to different spots until it sounds best to you.

Treatment: I could certainly offer advice on room treatments and such, but I would assume that with < $1K to put towards the system, you probably aren't going to have much in the way of money for treatments. So, if you want to tame some of the room sound (might sound muffled or "boxy," particularly if you have carpet on the floor), you can arrange large bookcases and wall hangings to diffuse some sound. Absorption can be added in the form of (e.g.) hanging blankets. Placement is not going to be hugely critical for your application, but the symmetry rule does (sort of) apply here as well, especially for movie watching. What this means is don't put all the absorption on the left wall with a bunch of bookcases on the right wall. Mix it up.

Other than that, be sure to leave room for the keg! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis